Partner Visa - haven't lived 2 years together

Hi all,

I really need some advice. :thanks:  I've done some reading on UK Partner Visa and I feel like I know the answers however I still want some clarity on the subject.

So my situation- I am a British citizen and my boyfriend is a South Korean citizen. He is here on a 2 year working holiday visa. We want to stay in the UK together.

We were in a relationship for 4 months before moving in together.
When his visa ends we will have lived 1 year and 3 months together.

One of the main requirements is that we have to have lived 2 years together. Which is impossible in our case.

So what should we do?
Will a long distance relationship after living together count towards the 2 year cohabitation. If so how long can we be living apart from each other for it to be still counted?
Or should I move to South Korea and live with him? And then we apply for a Partner Visa.

FYI, we want to go for a Partner Visa because he doesn't want to marry to get in the country. Plus I would like time to plan my wedding.

Please advise.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you go to the UK Gov Forum that deals with Family visas (link); the section that deals with what you need to prove etc, says:

UKGov website wrote:

What you'll need to prove

You must be able to prove one of the following:

-    you're in a civil partnership or marriage that's recognised in the UK
-    you've been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
-    you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

So, you have to meet one of those three to qualify, not all.  So, if you just want to be together without any of the commitments required in the link, then no, you can't do it in the UK and perhaps you will need to go to S Korea to achieve what you want.

With regards to evidence of a relationship; things like joint bills with your names on, rental agreements, local government council tax bills; e-mails, photos of you together, photos of you, him and your respective families; Facebook chats.

With regards to your being 5 months short on the 2-years, then after he has gone back, maybe you take a trip to South Korea, meet his family etc, then exchange letters, e-mails, with some personal stuff in them; all evidence of maintaining your relationship.

Forgot to add - the partnership route you mentioned is only available to same-sex couples; offered so as to treat both hetero and gay relationships equally.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team