Jobs salaries with foreign companies located in Saigon

Hi everyone  :)

I am Marco from Italy  ..I'm looking for advices on how to get a job permit in Saigon maybe even  from overseas in order to get a decent salary and a work visa that allows me to come to live and work long term in Vietnam..well maybe after the Covid situation will be better than now :-)...

So I found some of yours posts about work permits etc in the Saigon job section here today but I did not get much infos...and I was wondering if U can help me a bit to understand more on how the job market works in Vietnam and particularly in Saigon city...

I found a GF trough a website 6 months ago and she is a marketing manager for a Chinese  express delivery company in district 10 Saigon and also works as a interpreter for English speaking clients with a real estate firm....she aims to open her own business within 5 years ...we have lots of connections so I am thinking about to move to Vietnam soon.

Btw my work experience might sound not so wide but  I also worked for the Australian Institute of sports  a while ago.. within their European training centre facility located  here in northern Italy near my village ..this was  2 years ago for the summer season about 6 months of temporary  contract ..and I was employed  within the  reception team ..
I have been also living in Australia for 3 years already until 2016 and so I have a good level of English and some English certificates as well as the IELTS  test sorted out with 5.5. in each band etc ..
I don't have a full degree despite I am a qualified Surveyor in my country and worked for some years in the construction industry but I hold  just a bachelor diploma in surveying plus a VET certificate in business and  international trade obtained in Australia in 2016. 

As mentioned above I only have a 3 years surveying bachelor degree  here in Italy but more experience in commercial offices as a technical advisor real estate representative and sales manager in Italy and Australia in other  different fields  .. I just got the ref letter from the Australian centre  this week from the Finance and HR manager directly from the Gvt Sport commission in Canberra which states my good English skills ...so I was very happy about it and I am wondering now  if with that reference I might  find a job as a receptionist in a 4 or 5 stars hotel in Saigon or as a sales representative  as I've had other experiences as   a sales manager here for 1 year for an italian big brand of  drainage systems as well as with a  local Italian coffee roasting company as a sales export manager in Australia  for 2 years until 2016 ...
My GF  told me that the average salary in Saigon is about 500 USD por month as a local worker for example as a commercial clerk within a local company   ...so  I thought that maybe if I find a job through a multinational
foreign company as a commercial clerk or sales representative Instead of with a local company I could get maybe  a bit higher monthly wage.....so  I'd like to know more about it in order to understand better the local job market ...
So I was wondering if a position in those fields hired with a foreign company (I think about international hotel chains or products brands) would be with an ordinary salary just as  a local average salary  or  would it be possibly   a slightly better position where I might get a 1000/1500 USD salary a month? ...thanks a lot for who can help me to understand more about the Viet job market

Ciao ;-)

Good luck.  I wish you well in your search for employment here. 

That's all I'll say as I've been told I'm blunt when I tell the truth about your chances of getting any sort of job here.

Marcoarcier84 wrote:

I am Marco from Italy  ..I'm looking for advices on how to get a job permit in Saigon maybe even  from overseas in order to get a decent salary and a work visa that allows me to come to live and work long term in Vietnam..well maybe after the Covid situation will be better than now :-)...

So I found some of yours posts about work permits etc in the Saigon job section here today but I did not get much infos...and I was wondering if U can help me a bit to understand more on how the job market works in Vietnam and particularly in Saigon city...

I found a GF trough a website 6 months ago and she is a marketing manager for a Chinese  express delivery company in district 10 Saigon and also works as a interpreter for English speaking clients with a real estate firm....she aims to open her own business within 5 years ...we have lots of connections so I am thinking about to move to Vietnam soon.

Btw my work experience might sound not so wide but  I also worked for the Australian Institute of sports  a while ago.. within their European training centre facility located  here in northern Italy near my village ..this was  2 years ago for the summer season about 6 months of temporary  contract ..and I was employed  within the  reception team ..
I have been also living in Australia for 3 years already until 2016 and so I have a good level of English and some English certificates as well as the IELTS  test sorted out with 5.5. in each band etc ..
I don't have a full degree despite I am a qualified Surveyor in my country and worked for some years in the construction industry but I hold  just a bachelor diploma in surveying plus a VET certificate in business and  international trade obtained in Australia in 2016. 

As mentioned above I only have a 3 years surveying bachelor degree  here in Italy but more experience in commercial offices as a technical advisor real estate representative and sales manager in Italy and Australia in other  different fields  .. I just got the ref letter from the Australian centre  this week from the Finance and HR manager directly from the Gvt Sport commission in Canberra which states my good English skills ...so I was very happy about it and I am wondering now  if with that reference I might  find a job as a receptionist in a 4 or 5 stars hotel in Saigon or as a sales representative  as I've had other experiences as   a sales manager here for 1 year for an italian big brand of  drainage systems as well as with a  local Italian coffee roasting company as a sales export manager in Australia  for 2 years until 2016 ...
My GF  told me that the average salary in Saigon is about 500 USD por month as a local worker for example as a commercial clerk within a local company   ...so  I thought that maybe if I find a job through a multinational
foreign company as a commercial clerk or sales representative Instead of with a local company I could get maybe  a bit higher monthly wage.....so  I'd like to know more about it in order to understand better the local job market ...
So I was wondering if a position in those fields hired with a foreign company (I think about international hotel chains or products brands) would be with an ordinary salary just as  a local average salary  or  would it be possibly   a slightly better position where I might get a 1000/1500 USD salary a month? ...thanks a lot for who can help me to understand more about the Viet job market

Ciao ;-)

So many hypotheticals.

FIRST, *You* cannot get a work permit.

Your employer can get a work permit to allow you to legally work for them.

So obviously, you need to get employed first before your employer can get the work permit (within 90 days).

You are doing what a lot of people have done before you.

You are attempting to get some sense of certainty about employment in Vietnam before you actually come to Vietnam.

You are destined to fail, especially if your source of information is from a lot of anonymous people in an internet forum.

You must first Contact businesses within the industry where you seek employment.

However, if you cannot speak and read and write the Vietnamese language, there will be very few options open to you for legal employment.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Marcoarcier84 wrote:

Ciao ;-)

So many hypotheticals.

FIRST, *You* cannot get a work permit.

Your employer can get a work permit to allow you to legally work for them.

So obviously, you need to get employed first before your employer can get the work permit (within 90 days).

You are doing what a lot of people have done before you.

You are attempting to get some sense of certainty about employment in Vietnam before you actually come to Vietnam.

You are destined to fail, especially if your source of information is from a lot of anonymous people in an internet forum.

You must first Contact businesses within the industry where you seek employment.

However, if you cannot speak and read and write the Vietnamese language, there will be very few options open to you for legal employment.

Looking at a answers on a forum website and being here is a world apart as forum members have said.

Maybe a short trip first to get a sense of what you are trying to do might be a better way, 1-3 months and try to get interviews or appointments before you take the leap.

Andybrs2020 thanks a lot for your advice.. I also appreciate the other comments from other expats who are honest with me telling me that it can be noit that easy...I thank them as well to warn me!

Actually a 1 or 2 months trip is what I'm planning to do as a exploring travel to better understand how that country works ...and i am not sure yet if I want to live in Vietnam in the future.. I'm not rushing at all and I appreciate all the advices and personal piont of view (after all I am subcribed to this forums on purpose to get more infos before travel to an unknown country)

I think it could be hard to live in a  foreign country (especially if that's an asian one with a different culture than ours western culture)  if u don't speak the local language and I think that maybe this can be a cons if I want to settle down in Saigon one day....but I kniow there are a lot of expats there (included some italians)

First of all you are right saying that u can't understand from overseas if u like a place until you've never been there to try the local life and only after maybe I'll be able to evaluate (a bit) if that place could be good for a long term permanence..and for a working life....believe me I know the feeling when u arrive in a foreign country wothout understanding almost a word for local accents etc as I've been living in Brisbane for 2.5 years and Sydney as well for the last 6 months...and when I was just arrived with my basic school english level (Italy used to be bad for teaching english in the 90ies and Ive had hard times especially because I  was forced to study French at high school and because Australia was my first english speaking country I visited as I never been to UK or another british speaking country before ) ...

have a g day mate