Stimulus check from the US IRS

Background: I live in Barranquilla, Colombia. Have been for 7 years now. I have a bank account at Bancolombia, it's a savings only account.

I used the online form to apply for the stimulus check but it fails with an error that Bancolombia is not listed in the E-File system. Seriously? One of the biggest banks in Colombia isn't listed in the E-File system of the IRS? Bancolombia has an office in Miami. I found the routing number and used it, but to no avail. I contacted the manager of a local Bancolombia branch but he hasn't responded yet.

I also tried going through the Intuit site to sign up for the stimulus check but they too fail on the same error.

I found the online form a bit odd - it allows for foreign countries and addresses, but not foreign phone numbers. It does not allow for bank SWIFT codes for transfers.

I wrote to my Representatives and Senators and have received NO responses from any.
I wrote to 3 or 4 different news reports who have written about the stimulus checks for CNN and received one thankyou message from one of them.
I wrote to Michael Smirconish and received a response from some other person asking if I wanted to write an essay for him.

I see this as another example of the US government forgetting that expats exist, except for when it comes to collecting federal income taxes.

What have the rest of you done in regards to getting one of those stimulus checks?

I have a account in the USA. ...got paid today....not sure how I fell in the first batch, it was Direct Deposit...I have my DD info on file IRS and I recieve Social Security

Do you file Federal Taxes and Have your Direct Deposit Info on File?

If you do File and the IRS has your information they should depot it maybe at a later date and if it is a check they will start that process in May??

Do you Recieve Social Security?

Good Luck

Social Security recipients were among the first people to receive their checks.

I don't receive SS yet, I'm hoping to start receiving survivors benefits sometime this year. I don't file income taxes in the States because my income is much lower than the minimum for filing. And, my bank isn't in the US as mentioned in my original post. So I suppose all that adds up to - SOL.

hikingwithu wrote:

I don't receive SS yet, I'm hoping to start receiving survivors benefits sometime this year. I don't file income taxes in the States because my income is much lower than the minimum for filing. And, my bank isn't in the US as mentioned in my original post. So I suppose all that adds up to - SOL.

You may want to check on the "Who Will Recieve and Who will Not Recieve the Stimulas "  just google it.
There is more clarity each day on the factors, I believe there will be several rounds of the "Stimulas /CARE"  Distributions...

I am of the mind set once you recieve your survivors benefits you maybe able to file at that time for the stimulus is available for 2020.. SS is not taxable as far as I know, yet once on record of receiving it maybe a opportunity to claim later this year...

BOLA....

Partner, you'll need to go to the irs website and file your federal forms for 2018.  It's free because you don't meet the minimum income requirements; however, the ira website has discontinued the 1040-ez filing and make you use an approved online tax filing service.  They will direct you to click to a site named freefilefillableforms.com (I realize the site sounds like total bs but's it's real).  You'll need a physical address in the US or a bank account with routing number or else you're SOL.  You can file and indicate $0 for income.  You just need to file so that they'll have something to hold over your head if by chance you have overseas assets or income your not reporting.  No such thing as a free lunch

hijingwithu

I think the problem is that you are dealing with an international bank operating in the US which is supervised and regulated by US banking authorities, but what complicated the matter is that they don't use their own capital.  That screws up the issue because they have to deal with different regulations from other depository institutions in the United States.

Hmm, I would've thought that an international bank with an office in the US would be a better choice than one that doesn't have such an office.

I suppose I will have to explore other banks.

Another idea is to start a Well Fargo account the next time you're in Miami but it would unfortunately require a one week stay if possible.  You could open up a checking account associate with an Express Send contract which takes 5-7 days to validate.  They work through a clearance bank (BancoMex I believe) which allows you to send up to $1,500 per month to Davivienda and $1,500 (limited the $12k per year) to Bancolombia paying $4 and the exchange rate is usually only 50 pesos below what the FOREX rate is being traded in Chicago.  By example, ATM's in Colombia take a 4-5% overall transaction fee when you couple the exchange rate and the fee (not counting what your Us bank charges for international withdrawals).  I use this method to fund my Colombian accounts without leaving my house.  It's all web-based and the funds arrive within 2 hours.  I was paying about $75-$80 in just international atm transactions and losing 5-5% before I set this up.  It's not well known.  You do have to go to the branch in the US and set up the paperwork and initiate the first transfer at the branch.  That's why it'll take you a week to accomplish.  After the initial transfer, everything can be done online.  I sat in the airport in bogota, did the transfer, and when I arrived in santa marta the funds were available.  Hope this gives you more options.  If you want more information just google “express send Wells Fargo” and click on the global remittances link.

About Wells.

Wells Fargo does not seem to be receptive

anymore to would-be depositors who lack

a USA address.

I was a longtime Wells depositor until

last year when the bank notified me they

would be closing my account since my

residence is in Ecuador and I have no

USA address.

The previous post by Alascana -- which

I realize was written two years ago and

suggested banking with Wells on an