Travel advice

I found a site that seems to have up to date information  . . might be of help
www.iatatravelcentre.com

https://kh.usembassy.gov/new-cambodia-e … 19-update/

I just read this information.
It could be a costly experience for anyone entering Cambodia.  Apart from the vIsa fee , there will be a $3000 bond payable on arrival.
A $165 virus test fee....AND if anyone on the plane or bus tests + ,,you'll be slugged another $1400 PLUS pay for 14 days quarantine & further testing. 
From what they're saying $3000 will barely cover likely costs.

That'll do wonders for Tourism.

Another problem in the region concerning Elderly Expats......Health Insurance.  IF you can get it ,,it's expensive.   Thailand for example...if you can't get it, and haven't got huge wads of cash in the bank ,,your sent packing.
I suppose They're getting tired of old blokes coming to these countries & dying.

In nearly 10 years here I've only seen them leave two ways.....either broke , or in a stainless steel canister. 😆

Interesting times ahead.

Yes it puts a  bit of a damper on travel plans, but the insurance part has a work-around. There are some enterprising companies that now offer Covid19 insurance on a monthly basis, and will do a big deductible to keep the premium down. I am 67 and have been quoted around $300 a month with a $5000 deductible, which will get me in the country - and just hope I dont get sick!

hdgh29 wrote:

Yes it puts a  bit of a damper on travel plans, but the insurance part has a work-around. There are some enterprising companies that now offer Covid19 insurance on a monthly basis, and will do a big deductible to keep the premium down. I am 67 and have been quoted around $300 a month with a $5000 deductible, which will get me in the country - and just hope I dont get sick!

Sure, the insurance requirement and the 3000$ deposit aren't insurmountable, however there's also this (on the same page, further down):

Cambodian Visas

The Government of Cambodia has suspended the e-visa and visa-on-arrival programs until further notice. In addition, we understand Cambodian Embassies will only accept applications for diplomatic, official, and business visas and will not issue tourist or other visas to enter Cambodia at this time.

That is until June 30.

So we will know soon how it's going further.

Personally I don't think the recent regulations will live long.  Imagine when land borders open and everyone has to be transported to a hotel,  samples taken and wait for the results.

Also the $3000 bond is easy at airports but not on land crossings.

I would not be surprised if they drop these over-regulations.
It will kill tourism which is an important part of the GDP.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

That is until June 30.

So we will know soon how it's going further.

Personally I don't think the recent regulations will live long.  Imagine when land borders open and everyone has to be transported to a hotel,  samples taken and wait for the results.

Also the $3000 bond is easy at airports but not on land crossings.

I would not be surprised if they drop these over-regulations.
It will kill tourism which is an important part of the GDP.

Joe

That's true, once they decide to open the borders to tourists again, applying these regulations would be a logistical nightmare. If there's a ‘second wave' of COVID infections coming in Europe or America, they will just keep the status quo, eg no new visas for people from these regions.

Given the onerous restrictions, and massive doubt about even getting into a country & getting back out again ,,I can't see anyone taking the personal & financial risk to bother travelling under those circumstances.

In Australia recently, they formed a safe travel “bubble “ between Australia & New  Zealand.  They called for expressions of interest so they could organize flight schedules.    Hardly anyone responded....mainly due to all the BS involved.    So that idea has been scuppered for the time being.    By the way, there was NO quarantine involved.    Just paperwork, health checks, masks, gloves , SD procedures , restrictions on where you could go , eat & play. 
Medical is reciprocal between those countries ,so that makes it easier.

But given all the “procedures” it doesn't feel like a holiday.

Even the airports have cut back food/drink services, thrown out the chairs, probably have to stand while waiting to board a flight.   If something's touched or sat on...it requires cleaning before the next person .    Crazy stuff.

The medics & power head beaurocrats don't seem to “get” why a person takes a holiday.    It's stress release, hedonistic escapism with some adventure & new discoveries thrown in.    Your supposed to enjoy it. 😆

Until things return to normal , I can't see anyone bothering with the current situation.   

Those new airport upgrades need to be paid for .........airport landing Taxes per passenger cover a lot of that.    No planes, or near empty planes won't cut it.   

The good news......I'd say the Moc Bai border mafia are now eating steamed rice & fish sauce.😆.     And will be for a while unless procedures are relaxed.

Here's a breakdown of the procedure and associated costs, as per the latest official communication. No news concerning the visa situation (as far as I know, no visa on arrival or e-visa until further notice).

From https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/1937 … 00-deposit

Travellers entering Cambodia will be required to pay a US$3,000 deposit by cash or credit card for “Covid-19 service charges” at the airport upon arrival, and have $50,000 in travel insurance cover, the government has announced
A message posted on the Twitter account of the Office of the Prime Minister and dated June 16 contains a detailed list of related charges approved by the Ministry of Health and the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation.
Upon arrival at the airport, travellers will have to pay a $5 charge for transport to a testing centre, followed by $100 for a Covid-19 test. An overnight stay at a stipulated hotel or “waiting centre” while waiting for results costs $30, and a further $30 per day is charged for three meals
Other charges include $15 for laundry, $5 daily for medical surveillance and $3 for security services.
The remainder of the deposit will be returned provided the passenger, and the rest of the people on their flight, have negative test results. Even so, they must self-isolate for 14 days after arrival in their chosen accommodation.
Travellers must report daily to medical officers and undergo a second Covid-19 swab test on the 13th day. A valid health certificate to leave the country will cost another $30.
The charges apply to all travellers except those on diplomatic or official government business, authorities said.
A traveller who tests positive and shows symptoms requiring hospital treatment will be taken to a state hospital and undergo up to four tests for Covid-19 costing $100 each. Should the traveller die, a funeral and cremation will cost $1,500.
All of these costs will also be automatically deducted from the $3,000 deposit.

Kiss goodbye the Tourism industry in Cambodia.

I can't see the budget traveller & back packer crowd parting with $3000 , plus be liable for extra medical costs .   

The COVID 19 Insurance is ridiculously expensive as well.

Apart from Angkor Wat ......not a lot going on to justify that expense.

I wonder what the Chinese think of the above procedures......given the financial influence they've got In Cambodia,,,maybe they'll be exempt 🤓

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Kiss goodbye the Tourism industry in Cambodia.

I can't see the budget traveller & back packer crowd parting with $3000 , plus be liable for extra medical costs .   

The COVID 19 Insurance is ridiculously expensive as well.

Apart from Angkor Wat ......not a lot going on to justify that expense.

I wonder what the Chinese think of the above procedures......given the financial influence they've got In Cambodia,,,maybe they'll be exempt 🤓

Even for people like me (expats ‘trapped' at home), that's not a very attractive proposition, to put it mildly. I hope they come up with something better, even though I understand why they're doing it.