Retirement visa for cambodia changes

I have been told that the retirement visa has now changed .......proof of retirement needed ? and suggestions of a good place to go in siem reap to get a visa

thanks
jeannie

55 and older no need to prove retirement, under 55 proof is needed plus proof of money coming in.

For a reliable agent ask the local expats, they know better than anyone else.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

thanks for your help

jeannieb wrote:

thanks for your help

Welcome  :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Here we go, I have met a guy in Vietnam who reckons the 12 month EOS visa has been scrapped and now you can only get 6 months.Any truth to this?

Only believe official info, all hearsay is useless.

If you really want to know, ask the FB group Cambodia Visas and Workpermits, they have reliable info.

I have not read anything about this, but as things can change overnight, it is possible.

Just there should be a reason for it, so what the guy told you why they changed it?
It makes no sense, retired is retired, they don't work, they don't change.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks Joe wait and see, goalposts move all the time by the look of it.This info was from an expat who lives in HongKong but apparently visits Camboge regularly so I can only go on face value.

here is my situation;
I am a Canadian Citizen age 53 who wishes to retire in Cambodia. I would like to do this as soon as possible. the difficult part is; i am not retired. I have nothing to retire from. I have been an artist my entire life. when i was much younger i survived on social assistance and "survival jobs" namely i only worked at temporary menial labor jobs and only when i absolutely had to. I have rarely sold my art although i work at making new art daily. later in life i managed through good fortune to acquire significant investment holdings that now pay dividends of $900 - $1100 CAD monthly depending on market conditions. the value of my shares, if i were to sell them is approximately $150,000.00 CAD so i can list that as "assets" but i would never consider selling because then i would have no income.

would my present financial situation qualify me for retirement in Cambodia visa? what would be the steps i take to begin the application process? the funds i receive monthly come from a Canadian private company and are paid to my account at a Canadian bank. i am currently living in Vietnam, replacing my 3 month tourist visa by doing border runs but i am finding that might not be viable long term. the one year extended business visa requirements have been made stricter, denying unemployed foreigners eligibility (you can still get one but the immigration people are now cracking down and deporting foreigners with no Vietnamese sponsor or employer - don't argue this point with me, it changed in February 2018 and foreigners are being deported every day now,  read the papers. anyone thinking they can cruise with no job or sponsor on the one year extended.... your days are numbered, sorry)

i love SE Asia and would prefer to just stay on this side of the world, not go home for 2 more Canadian winters (Ugh!) but i would like to do everything as legit as possible. also, even though I've rarely worked a "real" job i will still be eligible for a Canadian pension eventually, although it would not be very much, certainly not enough to survive in Canada (shame on you, for the way you treat your most vulnerable elderly citizens, Canada, BTW) it would be significant money in Cambodia however, so i'd like to try and hang on to that, but it is not of the utmost importance to me. i would ditch it if i had to.

i've just begun to consider retiring in Cambodia. i plan to do my next border run from Vietnam to Cambodia. i am looking at the Cambodian consulate in Canada's online resources, but they are not the greatest.

Are there sources of help, or agents in Cambodia that could help me, and who/where? i find there are so many "peculiarities" and "moving parts" to my situation that talking "in person" seems to get the straightest answers and best results.

thanks, and sorry for the "wall of text"

martinosricardo wrote:

Thanks Joe wait and see, goalposts move all the time by the look of it.This info was from an expat who lives in HongKong but apparently visits Camboge regularly so I can only go on face value.

Well, that says it all I guess. As he is not living here he won't need the retirement visa for a year.

So indeed let's see if there are changes, I don't think so as I would have read about panicking retirees somewhere on social media.

Cheers.

Joe

Hello tommylacroix.

A "croix" it is indeed, your story. But not too bad and there are solutions.

1] First, there are many guys getting a retirement extension of stay [EOS] under the age of 55.
To explain, 55 and above get the EOS without any paperwork done.
Under 55 you either have to prove your retirement status [like disabled] or prove that you are financially independent. The latter you do by supplying bank info about monthly payments coming in.

On top some officers want you to write a statement that you want to retire here, that you will not work and that you are financially independent.

But you have to find a reliable agent that supports this way of applying, some agents don't bother and say impossible. Then search and find another one. I can help you when it's time to do so.

2] Then there is this not totally inconvenient solution.

You come in on a E visa [Ordinary], valid for one month. After a week here you apply for the EG extension, which is for people searching for a job or starting their own business. The EG EOS is valid for 6 months only but is a multiple entry, so you can leave and come back within the 6 months period.
After 6 months, if you have not found a job, you have to leave the country, but can comeback on a E visa, for again a month.
That means that you got two E visas of one month and a EG extension for 6 months, totaling 8 months.

If you follow another way to win time until you are 55 [in case you don't get the ER extension] is that you come back the second time on a tourist visa, also one month but can be extended once for a month. In this scenario you would have:

E visa one month
EG extension 6 months
T visa plus extension two months

Totaling 9 months, you could grow a baby inside you if you were a woman :D

You can do border runs on tourist visas until you are 55, then apply for a retirement extension.

But first I would try to get the retirement extension based on financial independence. There is no amount mentioned to define independence, I'm sure that a thousand Canadian dollars is sufficient.

Your story about cancellation of one year extended visa is about Vietnam, so I will not comment on it, also to not confuse people trying to get a retirement visa in Cambodia.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

dont worry, i'm not "cross" quite the opposite, friend you are very helpful and thank you very much for your response.

in writing out that giant post i sort of began to figure that i probably am eligible for the under 55 retirement visa due to my financial status. i can easily get bank statements and i also have yearly statements from the company i am invested in, it is in a special tax group and largely tax-free also pretty solid blue-chip type stuff so i'm not worried about the company folding. i do wonder how the officials might view "investment income" because most people, myself included, do not assume anything is guaranteed for life. disaster can strike and nothing is carved in stone. still i'm not worried, my thing is about as solid as it could get. (private mortgage/real estate holdings company with very large corporate clients... they aint going anywhere)

also, i'm always leery of telling government officials that i am an artist because they often assume i am making money at it and consider it employment. you'd think people would have that myth figured out by now, lol. I just say i'm retired and art is my "hobby" its more or less the truth and saves a lot of suspicious questioning and assumptions.

anyways, i am going to visit cambodia. i have heard Lucky Lucky visa services are pretty good. any intel on that, or other recommends?

I didn't mean you were "cross", more relating to wearing the cross of life.

Indeed never mention you're an artist, no need and it's totally off topic when you apply for an extension of stay. On top it's making officers suspicious, like mentioning in a plane you have a bomb.

Also no need to explain where your income comes from and how sustainable it is. Don't give them too much information. They just want to see that money is coming in regularly, from abroad, not being salary.

Lucky Lucky used to be one of the best agents in PP, but I have also heard some bad stories and even overpricing seems to happen some days. If you go there and you don't trust it, go out and pm me.

Cheers.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Hello tommylacroix.

A "croix" it is indeed, your story. But not too bad and there are solutions.

1] First, there are many guys getting a retirement extension of stay [EOS] under the age of 55.
To explain, 55 and above get the EOS without any paperwork done.
Under 55 you either have to prove your retirement status [like disabled] or prove that you are financially independent. The latter you do by supplying bank info about monthly payments coming in.

On top some officers want you to write a statement that you want to retire here, that you will not work and that you are financially independent.

But you have to find a reliable agent that supports this way of applying, some agents don't bother and say impossible. Then search and find another one. I can help you when it's time to do so.

2] Then there is this not totally inconvenient solution.

You come in on a E visa [Ordinary], valid for one month. After a week here you apply for the EG extension, which is for people searching for a job or starting their own business. The EG EOS is valid for 6 months only but is a multiple entry, so you can leave and come back within the 6 months period.
After 6 months, if you have not found a job, you have to leave the country, but can comeback on a E visa, for again a month.
That means that you got two E visas of one month and a EG extension for 6 months, totaling 8 months.

If you follow another way to win time until you are 55 [in case you don't get the ER extension] is that you come back the second time on a tourist visa, also one month but can be extended once for a month. In this scenario you would have:

E visa one month
EG extension 6 months
T visa plus extension two months

Totaling 9 months, you could grow a baby inside you if you were a woman :D

You can do border runs on tourist visas until you are 55, then apply for a retirement extension.

But first I would try to get the retirement extension based on financial independence. There is no amount mentioned to define independence, I'm sure that a thousand Canadian dollars is sufficient.

Your story about cancellation of one year extended visa is about Vietnam, so I will not comment on it, also to not confuse people trying to get a retirement visa in Cambodia.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I love reading this forum, so much relevant good info for my situation.
I visited Camboge twice a year from 08-14 & want to stay in PP for a while then wander up  to SR permanently. however atm I fall through the cracks.... 53 & 2 months old.No job, but my mother is dying (horrible going to the hospital twice a day to watch someone dying :( )
She left me the house so when I sell that I will invest in shares and dividends of around $40-50K a year hopefully.

I am still undecided as to buy a bike and wander through SEASIA for 18 months before stopping in SR or PP ... hmmm

But lots of good advice on here :)

OMG getting rid of a house full of possessions is sooooo hard.....
You try to sell it and ya get the tire kickers or the 20 questions...."Does it come in Purple?"

No lady I live in a house its not a department store, you see what you get, take it YES OR NO>>>>
Or I'll pick it up tomorrow & never hear from them again
;o

Cant wait, I have been nursing my elderly frail disabled parents for 10 years watching them get older, frailer, sick an then die over several weeks in hospital.... end of life is so draining & not fun :(

So keen to wipe this place and start something new & interesting,maybe even get a job>>? who knows :)

Hello.

Sorry to hear about your situation and your mother dying, not the nicest part of life.

But as Heraclitus said: "Panta rei" everything flows. So does life, it flows and today's things will be past tomorrow. New life starts regularly, look at Nature, every year a new spring, flowers, fruits, and never too late.

Take your time to get over it and prepare for the next chapter in your life. Don't hurry, prepare well.

Then when you are about to start to live in Cambodia, feel free to post any question we can help you with.

In the meantime I wish you all the best.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi thinking of moving from Vietnam ,any update on the Retirement visa Thanks Barrie

ozbaz wrote:

Hi thinking of moving from Vietnam ,any update on the Retirement visa Thanks Barrie

No changes so far Barrie.

Cheers

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

55 and older no need to prove retirement, under 55 proof is needed plus proof of money coming in.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe, im 56 years old and took an early retirement last year. I have proof of my monthly pension income. I have visited Siem Reap twice over the past 12 months and done some volunteer work for a UK Charity called Globalteer (who have an office in Siem Reap).
I am planning on returning next month to settle in Siem Reap for 6-12 months ad will be looking to rent an apartment in town. How easy will it be for me to get a Retirement Visa and be able to rent an apartment ? What opportunities are their in town for casual work ? What else do i need to take into consideration ?  Health Care ? Monthly Budget to live ? Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Regards John.

john connel wrote:
JoeKhmer wrote:

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe, im 56 years old and took an early retirement last year. I have proof of my monthly pension income. I have visited Siem Reap twice over the past 12 months and done some volunteer work for a UK Charity called Globalteer (who have an office in Siem Reap).
I am planning on returning next month to settle in Siem Reap for 6-12 months ad will be looking to rent an apartment in town. How easy will it be for me to get a Retirement Visa and be able to rent an apartment ? What opportunities are their in town for casual work ? What else do i need to take into consideration ?  Health Care ? Monthly Budget to live ? Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Regards John.

Hello John.
First thing I have to warn you for is that you are NOT allowed to work when you have a retirement extension of stay. If you want to work you need a business extension EB, for that you need a letter of your employer with letterhead and official stamp, the stamp confirms the employer is registered in Cambodia. You will also need a work permit, which you can apply for on line, or just pay an agent to do it for you.

If just for 6 or 12 months, why don't you relax and enjoy life to the fullest?
You just need a retirement extension of stay for 6 or 12 months, no docs required, just your passport and the money.

Health insurance, read the thread about it, for senior expats hardly affordable but if you have a good one let them also cover SE Asia, might be the best solution.
If you plan to ride a motorbike, any travel insurance has restrictions and most of them don't cover at all.

Of course you can rent an apartment for the time you stay here. You can start here on the housing section, search for flats for rent in Siem reap and have a look.

Monthly budget is difficult and depending on your own wishes and life style.
But in general a budget of $1000 would be sufficient and a budget of $2000 would be "The good life".

Hope you will have a great time.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks Joe 🙏
Really useful advice and yes ... I like the idea of relaxing for 6-12 months and taking everything in. I'm tired of the western world ☹️
Have you got any expat contacts in Siem Reap I can connect with ?
Cheers
John

Hello John.

As for expats in SR, go to the Siem reap forum here and post the time that you will be here and like to make contact with other expats.

Or just come over and venture into the entertainment sector, there you will find many expats.

Cheers.

Joe

@JoeKhmer Hi Joe.

I thought I might ask my question in here rather than start a new post.

Is this info still applicable today in 2023?

I am Australian, 58 years old and retired. Although in Australia you don't get any official paperwork from Social Security until you are 60  years old.

I am a self funded retiree so I don't have any government paperwork to state I am retired. I can't access my Superannuation until I am 60 years old, so I can't even utilise my superannuation company as proof that I am retired.

Is it still as per your post that all I need to do is arrive on an E-visa and as I am over 55 years old I can apply for a retirement visa without proof of retirement?

Do I have to show bank statements to prove I am self funded?

Cheers. I am looking at coming over to Cambodia in 6 months.

@Ackshon

Yes, over 55 no proof of retirement needed.

Passport valid at least 6 months after expiry of your visa extension of stay.

Photo.

Visa fees.

Registration into Immigration app.

That's all, once a year.

Cheers.

Joe