Renewing an annual retirement visa

Hi Joe,

I make regular trips to Cambodia, about 3 to 4 times a year.
Have used an annual retirement visa for the last 2/3 years; and have found no problems with "Lucky" to date, and paid $290 last time.
My present visa expires 19th November 2018; I expect to be in PP then, but do you know the earliest I can renew if I were not?
Thank you.
Will.

Hello Will.

One month in advance you can extend, they will keep the end date of the old extension as a start, so you don't lose any time.

Don't know if it's a good idea but you can also extend for 1, 3 and 6 months.
Sometimes that is a better alternative.

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks, that's what I thought, but saw a note that seemed to claim you maybe could renew earlier. It would be more expensive for the shorter ones though, and you would then lose some time anyway. Wonder if anyones got an ASEAN passport?
Cheers. Will.

Willdduff wrote:

Thanks, that's what I thought, but saw a note that seemed to claim you maybe could renew earlier. It would be more expensive for the shorter ones though, and you would then lose some time anyway. Wonder if anyones got an ASEAN passport?
Cheers. Will.

ASEAN passports do not exist. A passport is issued to a citizen of a country, so always related to that country, not a group of countries.

Cheers.

Joe

Ha - sorry, I meant a passport for an ASEAN country! Not a serious question really... :-)

:D

They are talking [travel agencies that is] about skipping the visa-on-arrival for citizens of the Asean countries plus China, Japan and Korea.

See if it will be implemented, but I don't hold my breathe.

Cheers.

Joe

cancelled

Just had my 1 year (ER) visa renewed and I had to sign a form stating I had a pension/income/money without any supporting evidence, sort of like a statutory declaration. No big deal but this was never asked before. New?

Rainman1 wrote:

Just had my 1 year (ER) visa renewed and I had to sign a form stating I had a pension/income/money without any supporting evidence, sort of like a statutory declaration. No big deal but this was never asked before. New?

It is new, as the whole retirement extension is relatively new, and it is used for persons under the age of 55. Persons 55 or older don't need any documentation or declaration.

If you're over 55 then the agent did something wrong, probably due to lack of knowledge.

But as you say not a big deal, I mean if this is really all you have to do, it's peanuts compared to Thailand.

Cheers.

Joe

Agree, totally easy compared to Thailand, odd thing was the agent here in SR (a westerner) even printed the form from the official site  with an official letterhead. I can easily get a copy to show here.  Regardless, it seems I'm the only one that got one so far.. but I'm pretty ugly lol.
Cheers Joe
Great going over this site.

Rainman1 wrote:

Agree, totally easy compared to Thailand, odd thing was the agent here in SR (a westerner) even printed the form from the official site  with an official letterhead. I can easily get a copy to show here.  Regardless, it seems I'm the only one that got one so far.. but I'm pretty ugly lol.
Cheers Joe
Great going over this site.

Many agents have no clue what is needed or not and just supply as many docs as they can.

You might be ugly but you have not opened up about your age, 55, over or under?  :D

Anyway, you will get your extension, the agent just did some unnecessary work [if you're over 54] or did the right thing if you're under 55.

Cheers.

Joe

Cough cough...nearly 64   :cool:
It's my 2nd ER, just never had to sign a dec. All good.
Their was a rumor of 5 and 10 year ER's, won't hold my breath...I don't have much left lol.

At 64 no need for any supporting documentation. As clear as can be.

Agents didn't catch up with the rules. They were used to two types of extension: tourist and business. No docs required so an easy task.

Then came the changes, a new ER, ES [student] and EG [general, for job seekers].
ER, although nowhere described, grew into the 55 rule, not as some stated the age you are allowed ER, but the fact you need docs and proof of financial Independence. That was all but they mixed up, the agents. There are stories of agents saying minimum age is 70, totally bs. Others indeed [and I believe SR is a bit notorious for that] let people sign a statement that they are retired, don't want to work and have sufficient funds.

The EB is even more complicated and many agents lost track.

Also the fees quoted are different and again SR seems to top them all [most expensive].

Cheers.

Joe

Here in Siem Reap and need to get my Retirement Visa Extension, do I have to use an agent or can I just go to the airport immigration office? I don't know any agents in town. PM me if someone has a recommendation please.   Thank You

Use an agent, but a reliable one.

One year visa around $290.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

It's not much help in Siem Reap, but I renewed mine, PP, in November with "Lucky" on Monivong for $290.

I talked with the agent in Phnom Penh that got my retirement extension of stay for the renewal. She did not say anything about any proofs or letters. My extension comes up next October but I'll be gone most of the time traveling so will get back late September. Who knows what will change by then. Blood test, DNA sample. Hahaha.

Realize that many agents tell many stories, some use "new" requirements to get additional money, as a well-known agent in PP did with providing the letter with signature and even thumb print.

The lady you talk about is straight forward and honest, she tells no new stories and will not force you to pay extra fees.

So again it is of highest priority to find a reliable agent.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi,
Any rec for that reliable agent?
Need to applý for a retirement visa too
Thanks, Myriam H

Talk to local expats in SR and find out which agent is reliable.

A good reference is the costs. A 1-year extension costs $280-290, a 6-months $180.
Any agent asking for more is not reliable.

Good luck.

Joe

Thanks JoeKhmer