COVID-19 and expatriation in Hungary

Sick and done with the mask BS! I'm breaking out like a 14 year old!
I noticed many people on the st. not wearing a mask and I would love to join their club.
My husband however has bought into the "pandemic"to a certain level and is not one to make waves.
I would love to let my freak flag fly, my bare face but have little option when he insists we wear one, my only reservation about taking a mask off is getting a ticket.
I never do and never have liked getting close to anyone, not 3 meters, like 6 meters is fine with me.
I won't touch that with a 6 foot pole has always been my motto.

There's a developing story on the price HU is paying per vaccination with the HU government stating that the Western versions cost too much hence the Chinese version being purchased.

However, apparently last year there was mistake by the Belgium budget secretary who leaked EU price, which shows the AZ/Oxford version coming in the cheapest:

-Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78
-Johnson & Johnson: $8.50
-Sanofi/GSK: €7.56
-BioNTech/Pfizer: €12
-CureVac: €10
-Moderna: $18

Link original source (in Dutch) (headlines in the table are manufacturer, unit cost, number, total value including VAT, table shows 33.5M doses and text says there will be 500M doses for 2021, presumably at the same unit costs):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EphFjRUXMAAwJcH?format=png&name=900x900

No-one knows (yet) the HU unit price being paid to the Chinese for the current versions of vaccine.

There's also a news report that the German Society of Immunology stating that the over-65s ban on AZ/Oxford should be reversed.

I am willing to pay hard cash for a vax that is not going to give me cancer or mess up my liver within the next 10 years.
I know at my age I am not  one of the expendables.
Then again, why not allow an old bird to roost, not going to be making any more little chicks. Chicks that need to be dealt  with to fit into the Agenda 2021,2015, 2030 system.
I am thinking these vax's are going to make many people sterile.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I am willing to pay hard cash for a vax that is not going to give me cancer or mess up my liver within the next 10 years.

I cannot see there is any way here in HU to actually get the vaccination privately.   I don't think any clinic is allowed to have it. You're not going to get cancer or liver problems from these vaccines.

On the other hand, it could be a bit of anti-lockdown fun to be a mutant alien.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I cannot see there is any way here in HU to actually get the vaccination privately.   I don't think any clinic is allowed to have it. You're not going to get cancer or liver problems from these vaccines.

Never thought I'd willingly become a Nephilim.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Never thought I'd willingly become a Nephilim.

I had to look up what a Nephilim was.   

Seems to be a fallen angel. 

If that's true, and I was in any way an angel,  I fell long and far some time ago.

Far worse things to be.  Could be a golem.  Oy vay.....

Something just ain't right in Denmark.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Something just ain't right in Denmark.

I've been to Denmark and it's very flat and windy and covered in Lego.

France reverses AZ ban for over 65s. - Macron was behaving like Trump.

Also:

Heathrow Airport seven-hour queues 'inhumane' - due to pandemic restrictions and staff shortages.

And:

EU vaccine passports - nothing on non-EU citizens entitlement or how it could work cross border on EU borders.

Another strong lockdown, I have to see what it actually means (for me personally cigarettes will run out shortly), meat, canned foods, animal food are fine for some more months to come (compliment for me to store).
I am more worried about dentists, garages etc. I just have to suppose they will be closed as well (unless a recent PCR test).
Overall things are moving fast and personally I think that within a month me and my wife will be offered a first vaccine (We have in our mind to limit to Moderna, Pfizer and Sputnik (in case of emergency Astra (Janssen seems to be good as well))

Lets see

cdw057 wrote:

Another strong lockdown, I have to see what it actually means (for me personally cigarettes will run out shortly), meat, canned foods, animal food are fine for some more months to come (compliment for me to store).
I am more worried about dentists, garages etc. I just have to suppose they will be closed as well (unless a recent PCR test).
Overall things are moving fast and personally I think that within a month me and my wife will be offered a first vaccine (We have in our mind to limit to Moderna, Pfizer and Sputnik (in case of emergency Astra (Janssen seems to be good as well))

Lets see

No worries, we have both been to the dentist, the GP and I'm about set for my next cataract surgery next week. On Mon. I do have to get another PCR test though.
They determine if you get surgery or not on the test results.
It is a bit stressful though, I know I'm fine but who needs a false positive?My cousin got a false positive last year when he volunteered himself and his family for a test. A week later he took another one and it was negative.
I do not believe in making a vax mandatory because where will we draw the line? Maybe they will make euthanasia   mandatory next!

Just looked over the new rules starting on the 8th.Not sure yet if my eye surgery will be put off or not since it was listed as emergency surgery.
Yes, this sucks.

cdw057 wrote:

Lets see

It's going to be a quite severe lockdown this time.  Nearly everything will close.  The kids won't be at school either.  It'll be dead in the streets.  I will still be walking the dog in the forest.  Most people are not wearing masks doing that.

You've no reason to worry about the AZ vaccine,   The Chinese one is of course the one they have to use as HU government has bought that in large numbers.   Their roll out is really slow.  It won't be long before the UK reaches herd immunity levels.

The latest from the government vaccine centre (Koronavírus Tájékoztatási Központ):

"More than one million of our compatriots have already been vaccinated against the coronavirus. In terms of population, Hungary is the second best performing country in the European Union. Almost twice as many people have received the vaccine in Hungary as in European countries on average.

This is due to the fact that we already use five types of vaccines in the domestic vaccination program. More shipments will arrive in the coming weeks, so the vaccination program will continue to accelerate. Detailed statistics on vaccination coverage in EU countries can be found on this page (in Hungarian).

Experts agree that the epidemic can only be curbed by vaccination. Already 3 million 30 thousand have indicated that they want to take advantage of the opportunity. If you have a family member or acquaintance who is not yet registered, please encourage them to do so. The vaccine saved lives."

All very nice but doesn't say anything about those ineligible via the TAJ system.  Fluffy News has discovered it is not possible to register groups of people on one e-mail address.

Not being with Taj of course is an issue, I believe there will be a solution though also reported on (I believe Daily News Hungary). Being with Taj (if retired) has its advantages (I am not retired but I am part of Taj).
If one is retired I do not see any reason NOT to be registered. (I would imagine just  a residency card would be sufficient).(of course you have to pay (limited though and benefits as well (free cataract and cheap medicines (for other items) from my experience.
Me and my wife expect a call for a vaccine in the coming weeks. Still for those who have no Taj they will probably have insurance and the insurance company (in my view) should be able to give directions,

Indeed a bug in the system not being able to register on one e-mail adress, one phone number is fine, but one e-mail address is not (strange). For elderly couples it might be a challenge to have two adresses. Annoying, good that one phone number is allowed.
Perhaps there is even a thought behind it, dear xxxx and an appointment on one adress might lead to confusion.

Still not good I think.

cdw057 wrote:

Not being with Taj of course is an issue, I believe there will be a solution though also reported on (I believe Daily News Hungary). Being with Taj (if retired) has its advantages (I am not retired but I am part of Taj).
If one is retired I do not see any reason NOT to be registered. (I would imagine just  a residency card would be sufficient).(of course you have to pay (limited though and benefits as well (free cataract and cheap medicines (for other items) from my experience.
Me and my wife expect a call for a vaccine in the coming weeks. Still for those who have no Taj they will probably have insurance and the insurance company (in my view) should be able to give directions,

It's not as simple as just asking for a TAJ card and receiving it.   I presume you had an E106 form from NL or possibly an S1 form if in receipt of a state pension.

Brexit people who were not in the UK but in third countries and are now here are in a bit of limbo.  The UK EHIC continues to be valid here but the healthcare system does not recognise them easily or at priority.  People in the UK are covered in the UK healthcare system regardless of any contributions. But this doesn't mean they can get an E106 to provide to the HU authorities.  This or the S1 is required to be registered here in the TAJ system. 

I am doubtful any interim insurance here would cover it or make it available.  My understanding is that only the government has access to the vaccines.  So there's no way to get it privately and pay for it somehow.

I understand the government here has said everyone in-country will be vaccinated for free but only after the Hungarians.  EU citizens in the TAJ system presumably will be included on an equal basis as Hungarians.  But non-TAJ card people will have to wait until the very end.   And the speed of the rollout here in HU is very slow.

cdw057 wrote:

Indeed a bug in the system not being able to register on one e-mail address, one phone number is fine, but one e-mail address is not (strange). For elderly couples it might be a challenge to have two addresses. Annoying, good that one phone number is allowed.
Perhaps there is even a thought behind it, dear xxxx and an appointment on one address might lead to confusion.

Still not good I think.

Nah, it's easy.  Dear XXXX is Dear "Head of Household" at ABC address.

My MIL is IT illiterate, suffering from a stroke and often confused.

So a Mrs Fluffy's family member had to create an e-mail address just to register her in the vaccine programme. 

If it was designed correctly, then one e-mail address or phone number would be fine - i.e. register all people at one address using one e-mail with the first person as the head of household designated contact. Collect their ages too, their TAJ numbers or other unique indicator (passport number, EHIC card number or ID card number) and note of underlying medical conditions.

It's really not rocket science and really very basic IT stuff.

Actually for me it was very simple (many) years ago I created my own company and employed both me and my wife and both of thus also paid health contributions and were insured.
I would be amazed if someone has a residency permit (from whatever country they are) are not entitled to health insurance (provided they are retired (if not could be more complicated)

Indeed we were lucky in a way (both from an EU country and employed). Admittedly we have contacts with retirees from the EU, but residency permits should allow for something I would think (including Health Insurance). But perhaps I am too naive.

Anyhow even if not on Taj things will work out.

cdw057 wrote:

Actually for me it was very simple (many) years ago I created my own company and employed both me and my wife and both of thus also paid health contributions and were insured.
I would be amazed if someone has a residency permit (from whatever country they are) are not entitled to health insurance (provided they are retired (if not could be more complicated)

Indeed we were lucky in a way (both from an EU country and employed). Admittedly we have contacts with retirees from the EU, but residency permits should allow for something I would think (including Health Insurance). But perhaps I am too naive.

Yes, I have all the cards/permissions and it should be simple but Brexit seems to have made it a problem.  It seems to be something wrong in their ideas of my nationality and where I was mainly working previously. That was not here or in the EU.  They equate nationality to entitlement and procedure.   

It would have been a lot easier before.  I'm not retired either.  Oddly, if I was retired, it should have been very easy but I'm not old enough to retire (I'm "only" 60).

I hope it doesn't work out where it results in me catching COVID19.

cdw057 wrote:

Being a resident and being retired does not give any ex-pat an instant Taj card.
My husband was given one right away because he is a HU citizen but it was not activated for a full year. He had to pay into the system for a full year before he could use the card.
The way he used to tip the doctors though made me think it would of been cheaper to just pay a private doctor.
He always says and still does say, in the US it would cost X amount.
Well, we aren't in the US right now!
He still insists I tip my eye surgeon but as far as I know it is now illegal to do so.
Even today when my surgery was canceled because f C-19, he said if I had already tipped I'd of gotten taken care of today. I doubt it.

Drives me insane with the tipping thing.
I only see the doctor if it is something going on long term because I don't wish to tip every 5 mins.
Wouldn't of gotten a physical if not for my eye surgery requiring it.
I went over a decade without ever seeing a doctor in the past.
Of course I didn't go until I passed out from losing blood. A bit extreme in my case.
In any case Taj is not free unless you have paid into the NAV system a min. of 15 years and are at least age 65 or 66.
It costs 8,000 per month otherwise for citizens and residents.
Got a PCR test on Monday, totally worthless since my surgery was put off. That was a waste of funds to the Taj system. At least I know I'm good for the next bit if I stay 20 feet away from everyone, no C-19 so far.

fluffy2560 wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

Yes, I have all the cards/permissions and it should be simple but Brexit seems to have made it a problem.  It seems to be something wrong in their ideas of my nationality and where I was mainly working previously. That was not here or in the EU.  They equate nationality to entitlement and procedure.   

It would have been a lot easier before.  I'm not retired either.  Oddly, if I was retired, it should have been very easy but I'm not old enough to retire (I'm "only" 60).

I hope it doesn't work out where it results in me catching COVID19.

I retired at 52. At least I quit working at that time.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I retired at 52. At least I quit working at that time.

If only I could retire. I would be quite keen on that idea. I could still dip in and out perhaps. Maybe do some own projects to keep up my interest.  I do however see there is a finite time left since I reached 60.  Previously I thought I'd live forever.

At the moment we've got younger kids to get through the system plus a dog and a garden that needs landscaping.  Once the kids are at Uni or wherever and then have jobs and independence, then definitely going to be a refocusing on us.  Only hope we're healthy enough to enjoy things.

That sadly is the catch. Putting off dreams until retirement then something happens.
Your health goes, you lost interest in something or you find you don't have as much money on hand that you thought you would have.
If our son was still in Vegas, we would be thinking or returning for a long visit but ATM Japan is not open for tourists.
I often think of my 2 dear friends who passed this last year. Both were set for retirement and with plenty to live on. My friend in Washington paid off her cute little house ages ago, still enjoyed teaching at the uni. She was head of  the dental hygiene dept . Had her grandson and her children a sweet long time boyfriend and even got on well with her ex and his new Mrs. She enjoyed camping and boating.
It's her father who just turned 93. The,"Stud" as someone mentioned. He seems to still drive, keep his own home and has a grilfriend.Makes me think about my friend's mom, wonder what she would think about that!
My other friend still worked but called her own shots.Was just a "housekeeper" but had her own cleaning business and clients from over 35 years. Her husband and she lived near Disneyland and had a nice condo in a nice area.Her mom passed and left her a bunch of money. Never got to spend any of it, only put in a new floor in her kitchen before she passed.
There isn't time to lose in life.
It is funny, I got my friend started in housework as a job. I pawned off a terrible client named, "Hazel" to my friend. We often laughed about it. Can't believe it has been one year now since we last spoke, Miss her.
I was never one to work myself to death anyways, not sure where I'd be now if not for my hard working husband. I am basically a loafer and not a worker.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That sadly is the catch. Putting off dreams until retirement then something happens.
Your health goes, you lost interest in something or you find you don't have as much money on hand that you thought you would have.
...I was never one to work myself to death anyways, not sure where I'd be now if not for my hard working husband. I am basically a loafer and not a worker.

Yes, you are right.   It happened to my dearly departed elder brother.  He was thinking of cashing in and slowing down in his early 60s.  And then suddenly he was diagnosed with a brain tumour and was dead in a year. It was just a random event. He was not a risky person or any of that.  What a waste.

I'm an aspiring loafer.  I really want to loaf.   Maybe I could get some loafing tips.  I am quite interesting also in the related skill of sponging.   

If only we had a sponsor who would let us indulge our interests by providing a large amount of money with no strings attached. 

I live in hope but not blessed with good looks, right kind of talents  or the right attitude. 

A more certain chance is to get the Fluffyettes to keep us in our dotage in the style we want to become accustomed to.

Documentary from a Slovakian hospital on the COVID19 crisis (in Hungarian with English subtitles):

”I WOULDN'T WANT TO DIE YET” – Fighting COVID-19 in Slovakia - about 35 mins in length

I got my email yesterday to register for the vaccine but only if I am a high-risk person which I am not. I will just have to wait. But a town just 20 mins away is on total lockdown. 300 military personal are guarding the roads and only allowing people out if they have a negative test.

Its still a big worry 3000 cases daily. Not been working for a year now, not sure if the country will fully bounce back with the tourism industry. So many hotels, pubs and restaurants have gone bankrupt.

SimCityAT wrote:

Its still a big worry 3000 cases daily. Not been working for a year now, not sure if the country will fully bounce back with the tourism industry. So many hotels, pubs and restaurants have gone bankrupt.

It will bounce back but it'll just be different.   

Concern will be claims on the government for causing businesses to go under.   

We are still in contact with our old neighbours from Austria and they had their own business. It was quite an enterprise with employees and multiple vehicles/trucks. Think it's not going very well.

We were somewhere near here the other day.   All the normal small shops are becoming decimated and closed down.  They are all closing.   

It's a bit bonkers.   I want to buy some power tools.  I live about 500m away from the place where I normally buy stuff like that but I cannot even go in the shop.  I have to pay to have it delivered!

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

...I was never one to work myself to death anyways, not sure where I'd be now if not for my hard working husband. I am basically a loafer and not a worker.

Yes, you are right.   It happened to my dearly departed elder brother.  He was thinking of cashing in and slowing down in his early 60s.  And then suddenly he was diagnosed with a brain tumour and was dead in a year. It was just a random event. He was not a risky person or any of that.  What a waste.

I'm an aspiring loafer.  I really want to loaf.   Maybe I could get some loafing tips.  I am quite interesting also in the related skill of sponging.   

If only we had a sponsor who would let us indulge our interests by providing a large amount of money with no strings attached. 

I live in hope but not blessed with good looks, right kind of talents  or the right attitude. 

A more certain chance is to get the Fluffyettes to keep us in our dotage in the style we want to become accustomed to.

Funny, some people do get by with sponging. My father was an expert on that. Almost had his miliionaire  lady friend in the bag but sadly she was put in a bag! Died on him, high and dry.
Know a HU guy here in Budapest, long story on him but he was a so called,"pretty boy" and always had women taking care of him. In Hawaii, Ca. and now he landed himself a very wealthy HU women, I mean super rich.
Think she and her ex owned commercial real estate here in HU. They live up in Rose Hills now. Just came back to HU a few years ago from S. Ca. They are always posting about their fab vacations. They were just in the US, NY, Miami Ca.  and Mexico even with C-19. They are classified as owning a business or some disgusting loop hole like that.
My deceased sister went on a date with this dude once, told him where to stick it. Guess 2 moochers can't get along.

I did register with my wife (we are (just) under 65)), but as I understand people who registered will get their first jab before easter (which is not bad compared to many in this world). First and second jab combined, just a few more months to go. Unfortunately I did not have ANY business since last year, but that is part of taking the risk of moving to another country.
Living here on the country side in these times is not too bad either (comparing to many others).
I understand from some of my ex-colleagues that working from home in an appartment with family is also not too easy (and I think I would adhere, (better a big house in the countryside than a small apartment (in any case in these times))

Hungary with jabbing is not doing too bad, I will just wait my turn

Hungary reports record 8,312 coronavirus infections in 24 hours

And I thought Austria was bad

If you follow my posts I have been very pessimistic since spring last year and we have lived in voluntary quarantaine as much as possible since then, I do not intend to put that at unreasonable risk when the end is near.
One side topic, normal flue was virtually unknown this year (which is good), but apart from taking the Corona jab I also intend to take the flue jab (I never did before) in autumn (if I were a flue virus I would see a nice opportunity end of this year).

indeed
https://dailynewshungary.com/the-toughe … n-hungary/

If you look at the Slovakian video link I posted, it's looking really bad on the front lines.   

There's a part in the Slovakian video where the doctor ultrasounds a ventilated patient and says the lungs are 95% destroyed and that the 5% remaining is what is keeping the person alive.

The doctor then says he thinks the patient will die and later on, it seems the patient has gone and another one is already being queued up to take their place. 

I heard on the radio about some guy who had an elderly COVID19 infected Dad and the medics said they didn't have access to a ventilator so this guy made his own out of a CPAP machine and spent days watching over him.  He said it seemed to have worked and his Dad recovered.   

Nothing to do with Hungary, but if you need an example of how not to lead your country in a pandemic, check out the COVID19-denier guy running Tanzania, now dying in hospital of suspected COVID19.

cdw057 wrote:

If you follow my posts I have been very pessimistic since spring last year and we have lived in voluntary quarantaine as much as possible since then, I do not intend to put that at unreasonable risk when the end is near.
One side topic, normal flue was virtually unknown this year (which is good), but apart from taking the Corona jab I also intend to take the flue jab (I never did before) in autumn (if I were a flue virus I would see a nice opportunity end of this year).

Reason why we're not seeing flu is because of social distancing, the nature of the flu virus itself and wearing of masks.  It's still here just waiting to pounce.

Flu vaccine is freely available. At the OEK National Centre for Epidemiology, the flu vaccine costs  about 2600 HUF (I think it's more, old pricing on their questionnaire).  Shame they aren't doing COVID19.

I have the flu vaccine every year.  More than happy to have it.

fluffy2560 wrote:

If you look at the Slovakian video link I posted, it's looking really bad on the front lines.   

There's a part in the Slovakian video where the doctor ultrasounds a ventilated patient and says the lungs are 95% destroyed and that the 5% remaining is what is keeping the person alive.

The doctor then says he thinks the patient will die and later on, it seems the patient has gone and another one is already being queued up to take their place. 

I heard on the radio about some guy who had an elderly COVID19 infected Dad and the medics said they didn't have access to a ventilator so this guy made his own out of a CPAP machine and spent days watching over him.  He said it seemed to have worked and his Dad recovered.   

Nothing to do with Hungary, but if you need an example of how not to lead your country in a pandemic, check out the COVID19-denier guy running Tanzania, now dying in hospital of suspected COVID19.

I've heard they are not treating normal asthma cases like they used to do. No longer just giving Oxygen and steroids but going straight to a ventiiator. They are giving the wrong treatments to people and saying it was C-19.At least that's what is going on in the US.
My sister was once blue and flat lined and they brought her back but these days, she would be yet another C-19 death. Disgusting really

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I've heard they are not treating normal asthma cases like they used to do. No longer just giving Oxygen and steroids but going straight to a ventiiator. They are giving the wrong treatments to people and saying it was C-19.At least that's what is going on in the US.
My sister was once blue and flat lined and they brought her back but these days, she would be yet another C-19 death. Disgusting really

Oh that sounds bad.   There were rumours here people are getting classed as COVID19 casualties when they've got something else.  It's COVID19 related they get more money.  Maybe the same elsewhere.

Getting people on ventilators is a clinical necessity if they say so but I think there's a lot of experimenting going on as they don't know enough about the disease.

My husband just got off the phone with my ophthamologist.
She spoke awhile with him asked if I had enough eye drops etc.
Seems I have to call back in one month about another surgery.
She is really nice and said I am lucky to not go into the hospital now, it's a mad house.
Said her office was moved 3 times because they are using all the space for beds.
She told me my PCR test was negative, I knew that, I feel fine.
She also asked if we have had our vax yet. Told her no but we stay away from people.
I suppose if we wanted to we could sign up for a vax but I'm not interested in that right now.
I hope she is OK working in that situation.
It is irritating to have double vision in one eye but better then being ill with C-19.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

She also asked if we have had our vax yet. Told her no but we stay away from people.
I suppose if we wanted to we could sign up for a vax but I'm not interested in that right now.
It is irritating to have double vision in one eye but better then being ill with C-19.

We're getting nowhere trying to advance me up the list to get the vaccination.   I've got conditions which make me vulnerable but it seems to make no difference.   

It's putting me at a disadvantage workwise when applying for visas for other countries. 

Cannot isolate on a plane and in some countries, their awareness and hygiene standards are lower than those in Europe.  Makes travel really risky.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

We're getting nowhere trying to advance me up the list to get the vaccination.   I've got conditions which make me vulnerable but it seems to make no difference.   

It's putting me at a disadvantage workwise and applying for visas for other countries. 

Cannot isolate on a plane and in some countries, their awareness and hygiene standards are lower than those in Europe.  Makes travel really risky.

My misses works in a hotel you would think she is at high risk seeing different people every day but she isn't and as I live with her I thought I would be high up the list. But I don't plan on travelling so not completely bothered. But I do hope to travel to the UK next year.