COVID-19 and expatriation in Belize

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Belize, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Belize.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Belize, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your  expatriation in Belize unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

I have a home in Corozal,Belize,as a Canadian I was requested by our govt
To return to Canada .im glad I did as you closed your airport same day I left.
I love your country and if this covid19 passes I'll be back.
However,one thing I'm very disturbed about is that you are increasing the
Amount of immigration each month.why.
If a country is to prosper they need to welcome tourist in your country,they pump money
In your country,give locals jobs,why dose a poor country do this,I'm perplexed.
It's a nightmare to get a bank account, and Residency is out of the question.
Unless you plan to live in Belize and not go out of the country,why sooooo many rules.
Poor countries should open their arms to decent older people who only bring money into
Your country,no drugs,no violence,just money.

My family and I were supposed to be departing South Africa on 4 May 2020 to Belize. The virus has put a halt on everything. We have managed to pay a security deposit on an apartment in Corozal, but now we cannot say when we will occupy.

We are uncertain about everything right now. The only hope that we cling to is that we will get to Belize as soon as the virus situation is under control.  I do worry about how the virus will have affected Belize by the time we get there. We have done all the research etc on Belize pre-virus. So we are worried as to whether we will still be able to live a comfortable life post-virus as per the research we did.

One thing I can say for certain is that we cannot wait to arrive in Belize.

We have land down in Belize - on the Coastal Rd.  We were very excited to learn paving on the Coastal Rd. had begun in January - actually a lot of work directly in front of our property.  Now we have learned that construction is on hold because of the virus.  I was saddened to learn a few cases popped up in the BZE and was frightened that it would run rampant through BC and Belompan, but from what I am seeing from up here in the USA - it looks like it isn't spreading as fast and as hard as it is up here.  BZE has experience with infectious viral outbreaks like Zikah and Dengue fevers - maybe that and that it is a tropical climate play all contribute in keeping the virus at bay. 
We normally swing down to check on things twice a year and had to postpone our Spring trip.  Glad BZE closed borders, but I am scared what all this means to the resorts, hotels, restaurants, dive shops, vacation rental owners down there as this virus is hitting in the peak of tourism season.

We came to our Coastal Road home near Gales Point in January and planned to stay for a few winter months. The coronavirus came and changed all that. Despite chances to leave earlier, we stayed in Belize as long as we could. We very much enjoyed our extended 5+ months stay. We did finally return to the USA on a "repatriation fight" arranged by the US Embassy on June 26.

We were very pleased with our long stay in Belize, because Belize is THE SAFEST PLACE to be in the Western Hemisphere. Here we are off-grid, with ample rainwater catchment, fruit orchards, chickens, and a veggie/fruit nursery we built from local bamboo. We fished in the sea for red snapper. We fished in the lagoons for snook. When we finally ventured forth, we found the grocery stores well stocked. It is easy to avoid people in this country with the lowest population density by far in North or Central America.

We were pleased with the Belize govt response of strict curfews, mandatory masks, and mandatory disinfecting before entering any store. We are pleased with the strict steps the govt took to minimize virus infection from returning Belizean. These factors limited to overall virus to 22 people in the entire country, and none at all in our Stann Creek District.

This was truly an idyllic time. More Americans, Canadians, and Europeans should come to understand the incredible opportunities Belize has to create a wonderful Caribbean lifestyle ~ ~ and to create a true, off-grid Safe Haven in Belize - far from civilization's troubles.

During the shut-down, there was much construction. Infrastructure projects such as paved roads and better internet/ cellular coverage advanced. (We finally have broadband coverage along the Coastal Road!) Some resorts created improvements. Many new homes were built. The construction industry thrived, while resort owners have suffered. Hopefully by January and the dry season, economic prosperity will fully return.

Now we are returned to the USA - and to potential risks associated with the very-prevalent Corina virus - and a government not prepared to deal with it as aggressively as the Belize government did.

I do plan to return to Belize in August for a short time. Then again in January for a longer period - However, I am very dismayed by Belize's decision to increase the monthly visa fee from $50 to $200BZ.

Good to hear. We will be down in early September. Disappointing about the VISA fees, but not a big surprise. I would really prefer for "More Americans, Canadians, and Europeans should come" to be NOT to come. I don't want it Belize to be spoiled by a huge influx of people.

We we're planning on coming to Ambergris Caye in April to look at properties, but of course that got postponed. So hopefully we will be able to come in October now and extend our stay. Really looking forward to seeing the islands while we're there. We have alot of questions about doctors and health care Etc

I moved to Belize January 20, 2020. Planned to buy a house & while remodeling head back to the US for some of my “stuff”   best laid plans...

I do not live in an ex-pat community, by choice. I live in a local neighborhood which has been the best choice. I am watched over, accepted & treated as everyone else in the neighborhood. We all take care of one another & with COVID-19 & lockdown taking care of one another has become very necessary.

While I miss not being able to travel, local & international, which was my plan, I have had the time, & money, to remodel my home completely, build a partial fence, start a garden, met & hang out with my neighbors, find a favorite grocery store & discover the little library.

Cayo is now my home. I have the paperwork for residency & plan to file early next month