Did you renegociate your rent?

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/i … 75095.html

Matt_2 wrote:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/industries/hcmc-apartment-rent-revenues-plummet-amidst-covid-19-pandemic-4075095.html

Oh dear, life's a bitch!  landlords lose, renters WIN, thats how the free markets work.

It's possible to renegotiate your rent when the landlords hold mortgage on their property, not easy if they own it free and clear.

Where I live, the pandemic doesn't make any difference on the rent. The owners are always very selective when choosing tenants in the first place, now they're even more cautious of prospective renters.  Current renters continue to receive good value for money so renegotiation doesn't exist.

Besides, if you rent an apartment and had to pay the two month deposit chances are if you end up leaving for financial reasons before the contract expires the landlord has already got rent for two months

Ciambella wrote:

It's possible to renegotiate your rent when the landlords hold mortgage on their property, not easy if they own it free and clear.

Where I live, the pandemic doesn't make any difference on the rent. The owners are always very selective when choosing tenants in the first place, now they're even more cautious of prospective renters.  Current renters continue to receive good value for money so renegotiation doesn't exist.

I am pleased that you are one of the carefully selected few, as you often state, but with respect I think the post was aimed more towards those that do not share your elite rank.

I live in a small, family-owned building (they rent out 4 apartments in a 7-apartment building) where they REALLY look after me. My rent is not cheap, but I wouldn't try to renegotiate to take advantage of the COVID-19 situation.

I made an agreement and will stick to it. If I tried to do otherwise, it may come back to bite me in the ass when this is all over (and I certainly don't want to have to move).

i would have never thought to try to renegotiate mid-contract.  I agreed to a price.  I will honor that contract.  Actually our year is up April 10.  I still won't do it at contract end because to do so would require a new year and i'ts pretty likely we will be going back to the US by the end of the year.  We can just pay month to month now that the first year is up.  Cheaper in the long run as we won't lose two months deposit if we would leave early.

The owner's brother (owner lives in Australia) has been super responsive to take care of anything right away when it came up.  That's worth something.

SteinNebraska wrote:

i would have never thought to try to renegotiate mid-contract.  I agreed to a price.  I will honor that contract.  Actually our year is up April 10.  I still won't do it at contract end because to do so would require a new year and i'ts pretty likely we will be going back to the US by the end of the year.  We can just pay month to month now that the first year is up.  Cheaper in the long run as we won't lose two months deposit if we would leave early.

The owner's brother (owner lives in Australia) has been super responsive to take care of anything right away when it came up.  That's worth something.

Good landlords are hard to find.

Indices wrote:

I am pleased that you are one of the carefully selected few, as you often state, but with respect I think the post was aimed more towards those that do not share your elite rank.

It has nothing to do with social status as I have none, but it's a nod to landlords who think differently and another proof (in addition to the posts above) that in spite of the negative image which everyone shares freely on this forum, not all landlords care more about money than the quality life of themselves and their tenants.

While we're at this, 3 other members of this forum have lived/currently live in this building in the last 2 years.  "Elite ranking" must be an idea you form in your head, because none of the expats who rent/ed this place is different from many expats in this country -- although some of them do care more about their environment than the reduction in their rent.

Ciambella wrote:

True.

Those of us who have been fortunate enough to be accepted as long-term tenants in this modern westerner-friendly apartment house are treated like family by the landlords.

In the short run (next six months on my lease) I definitely won't be seeking to renegotiate.

When my lease is up in September, if the price of rent in a dream location has reduced dramatically, I might be tempted to move along but I wouldn't ask for lower rent here.

Of course, it's worth noting that MY income is 100% stable and dependable.

Also the US Dollar is strengthening again against the Việt Nam Đồng

Maybe if I were being paid in Australian Dollars and having my hours cut I'd be talking about a new deal.

Ciambella wrote:
Indices wrote:

It has nothing to do with social status as I have none, but it's a nod to landlords who think differently and another proof (in addition to the posts above) that in spite of the negative image which everyone shares freely on this forum, not all landlords care more about money than the quality life of themselves and their tenants.

While we're at this, 3 other members of this forum have lived/currently live in this building in the last 2 years.  "Elite ranking" must be an idea you form in your head, because none of the expats who rent/ed this place is different from many expats in this country -- although some of them do care more about their environment than the reduction in their rent.

I guess the difference is that some feel the need to state their wealth whereas others do not find the need to. If you are happy where you are then fine. But others that are not in a similar situation or affected by the virus, income etc then why not try to renegotiate the rent ?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

True.

Those of us who have been fortunate enough to be accepted as long-term tenants in this modern westerner-friendly apartment house are treated like family by the landlords.

In the short run (next six months on my lease) I definitely won't be seeking to renegotiate.

When my lease is up in September, if the price of rent in a dream location has reduced dramatically, I might be tempted to move along but I wouldn't ask for lower rent here.

Maybe if I were being paid in Australian Dollars and having my hours cut I'd be talking about a new deal.

I hardly see how having to state your income is 100% stable is relevant. Who cares about your income ?
Some others through whatever circumstance are struggling. If they want to try and renegotiate their rent then good luck to them and wish them luck.

Indices wrote:

I guess the difference is that some feel the need to state their wealth whereas others do not find the need to.

I'm afraid you've mistaken me with someone else. 

I've never in my life stated my wealth to anyone, even my sibling, let alone strangers on a public forum.  I couldn't do that because I've none of the wealth you imagine I do.  My husband and I live on a retirement pension that is smaller than most American expats earn; we live a simple life so we can put every dime into our travel fund.  My only big expense is the twice a month beauty day that actually costs less than the price of a good dinner, but I have to stop anyway due to this pandemic.

For reason/s I cannot fathom, a few members of this forum, not the old ones who know me well, have been putting label on me and poke at what I post/ed. 

Yes, I'm well educated but I'm not over educated and I've never boasted about my education here or anywhere else.

Yes, I'm well travelled because that's my and my husband's only passion, and as mentioned above, we can afford to do that on our unimpressive income because we don't spend money anywhere else.  Except for the mention in my profile, I've never bragged about my travel here.

Yes, I know a lot about this country, more than most people on this forum, because I was born here, lived here, and educated here for the first 22 years of my life, and I'm living here during this chapter of our life.  I've used my extensive knowledge of this country, its culture and language to help others on this forum since the day I joined (the reason the people who run this website asked me to be part of their team).  I've never crowed about that either.

There you have it, my virtual life and value in a nutshell.  What's so bad about it that all of a sudden, you and a few others started poking at my posts for some bizarre enjoyment?

I also guess that some people have a few chips on his shoulder.

Ciambella wrote:
Indices wrote:

I guess the difference is that some feel the need to state their wealth whereas others do not find the need to.

I'm afraid you've mistaken me with someone else.  I've never in my life stated my wealth to anyone, even my sibling, let alone strangers on a public forum.  I couldn't do that because I've none of the wealth you imagine I do.  My husband and I live on a retirement pension that is smaller than most American expats in this country; we live a simple life so we can put every dime into our travel fund.  My only big expense is the twice a month beauty day that actually cost less than the price of a good dinner, but I have to stop anyway due to this pandemic.

For reason/s I cannot fathom, a few members of this forum, not the old ones who know me well, have been putting label on me and poke at what I post/ed. 

Yes, I'm well educated but I'm not over educated (could even seen as under educated comparing to quite a few posters on this forum) and I've never boasted about my education here or anywhere else.

Yes, I'm well travelled because that's my husband and my only passion, and as mentioned above, we can afford to do that on our unimpressive income because we don't spend money anywhere else.  Except for the mention in my profile, I've never bragged about my travel here.

Yes, I know a lot about this country, more than most people on this forum, oly because I was born here, lived here, and educated here for the first 22 years of my life, and now I'm back to start a new life in this new land (very different from the land on which I grew up).  I've used my extensive knowledge of this country, its culture and language to help others on this forum since the day I joined (the reason the people who run this website asked me to be part of their team).  I've never crowed about that either.

There you have it, my virtual life and value in a nutshell.  What's so bad about it that all of a sudden, you and a few others started poking at my posts for some bizarre enjoyment?

No further comment, I do not wish to fall foul of the site Mafia.

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

True.

I hardly see how having to state your income is 100% stable is relevant. Who cares about your income ?
Some others through whatever circumstance are struggling. If they want to try and renegotiate their rent then good luck to them and wish them luck.

It's totally relevant.

In the context of the thread, there are reasons why some are desperate to renegotiate and some aren't.

It's a discussion of all situations, as the title of the thread asks a Yes or No question.

What's irrelevant to me is the reason you have a bee up your b*tt about what Ciambella and I have to say.

Yoda0807 wrote:

Pointless response. The thread is about renegotiating rent and that not all people are either privileged or have wonderful landlords.

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

True.

Its swings & roundabouts, over say the last 5 years the ball has been on the foot of the landlords & many will be mortgaged to the hilt & coining it in with yearly rent increases (sort of take it or leave it) & looking forward to a life of luxury when the rent pays off all the borrowing for their properties, Now & I bet for a good time ahead the pendulum has swung 180 & the ball is firmly on the foot of the potential tenant & hey why not screw the landlord, he/she will be sweating with the bank or the parents demanding their cut every month. Not saying to re neg mid way through contract but if your contract is up, then go for the jugular I say!  If you are using an agent to find you a property to rent, you can bet the landlords are screwing them  down now on their 1 months finders fee & the landlords will have no mercy on that one for sure!
Now I am not saying that like the mama & papa landlords are not good to their tenants & are very possibly good people because its a more friendly thing, but the big like apartment landlords in Q1, Q2 &Q7 I have no sympathy for them, screw them down until they squirm I say.

Do we see a property price slump looming up in the horizon??

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

True.

It's totally relevant.

In the context of the thread, there are reasons why some are desperate to renegotiate and some aren't.

It's a discussion of all situations, as the title of the thread asks a Yes or No question.

What's irrelevant to me is the reason you have a bee up your b*tt about what Ciambella and I have to say.

It is not my b*tt or your interest in that particular part of the anatomy  that you should be concerned about. This site can be more about trying to establish some sore of hierarchy than actually being of much practical to help to those that ask for it.
The person that posted this thread obviously did not do so because everything is hunky dorry for them.

Indices wrote:

If you are happy where you are then fine. But others that are not in a similar situation or affected by the virus, income etc then why not try to renegotiate the rent ?

I've never said people should not renegotiate the rent. 

My comment was a response to the quoted link in which some landlords said that in order to lessen the burden which their mortgage caused. they would rather have lower rent than not having rent at all.

There are several aspects of every story. 

The first aspect about possible renegotiation has been presented at the beginning of this thread. 

I presented the one about how negotiation is not possible with landlords who own their properties.

Jlgarbutt presented the financial difficulty of getting the deposit back from a failed attempt to renegotiate. 

SteinNebraska and cruisemonkey presented the fact that honour and integrity should be upheld when a legal contract is involved.  They also stated of the importance of living in a place where their welfare is care for.

Should we know as much as we can about the situation by listening to everyone's voice instead of firmly staying in one corner, the one that makes reducing the rent an inevitable outcome in this climate?

Indices wrote:
Yoda0807 wrote:

Pointless response. The thread is about renegotiating rent and that not all people are either privileged or have wonderful landlords.

But it's also about not all Vietnamese landlords fitting the caricature profile of heartless money grubbers who deserve a dose of economic reality.

You just can't get past the fact that it's a yes or no question in the thread title, which leaves it open to full discussion of the issue by all expats in this country, those who have sufficient and stable income and those who have less income Which is less stable, and all mixtures of folks in between.

You truly do appear to have a chip on your shoulder about this issue for some reason.

I'd like to think it's because you misinterpreted the thread and thought it was supposed to be only about the issues you've stated.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:
Yoda0807 wrote:

But it's also about not all Vietnamese landlords fitting the caricature profile of heartless money grubbers who deserve a dose of economic reality.

You just can't get past the fact that it's a yes or no question in the thread title, which leaves it open to full discussion of the issue by all expats in this country, those who have sufficient and stable income and those who have less income Which is less stable, and all mixtures of folks in between.

You truly do appear to have a chip on your shoulder about this issue for some reason.

I'd like to think it's because you misinterpreted the thread and thought it was supposed to be only about the issues you've stated.

So you and some others think that telling all and sundry about your stability and wonderful circumstances is helpful ? If the reason for the thread was how wonderful life is in their current situation then why would they post it ?

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:

So you and some others think that telling all and sundry about your stability and wonderful circumstances is helpful ? If the reason for the thread was how wonderful life is in their current situation then why would they post it ?

Yea, must admit, I have to agree, a bit of self indulgence by some of the posters on that topic. Bet all the out of work teachers took some comfort in them posts if they read them. :sosad:

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:

So you and some others think that telling all and sundry about your stability and wonderful circumstances is helpful ?

As it applies to the context of this thread, certainly.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the only purpose of this forum is for us to have supportive conversations with each other.

The larger overarching purpose of this forum is to provide a searchable database (the "searchable" part definitely needs work) for general inquiries from the internet. 

So everything we post here is available to future casual readers who are trying to get information about expat life in Vietnam.

They ought to have a well-rounded record of ideas expressed, as long as those ideas and circumstances noted are generally on topic to the subject.

I get it that you don't want to hear about how much money I make, or some of the things that Ciambella has to say about her circumstances, but all replies here are not directed solely to you.

The replies aren't even necessarily directed toward the OP, who started us off with a simple question and a link to an internet news story.

Maybe ratchet down the indignation a notch, take a virtual step back and see that many different experiences and opinions are being expressed here.

I personally have no gripe as long as we stay on topic.

Ciambella wrote:
Indices wrote:

I'm afraid you've mistaken me with someone else. 

I've never in my life stated my wealth to anyone, even my sibling, let alone strangers on a public forum.  I couldn't do that because I've none of the wealth you imagine I do.  My husband and I live on a retirement pension that is smaller than most American expats earn; we live a simple life so we can put every dime into our travel fund.  My only big expense is the twice a month beauty day that actually costs less than the price of a good dinner, but I have to stop anyway due to this pandemic.

Yes, I'm well educated but I'm not over educated (could even seen as under educated comparing to quite a few posters on this forum) and I've never boasted about my education here or anywhere else.

Yes, I'm well travelled because that's my husband and my only passion, and as mentioned above, we can afford to do that on our unimpressive income because we don't spend money anywhere else.  Except for the mention in my profile, I've never bragged about my travel here.

Yes, I know a lot about this country, more than most people on this forum, oly because I was born here, lived here, and educated here for the first 22 years of my life, and now I'm back to start a new life in this new land (very different from the land on which I grew up).  I've used my extensive knowledge of this country, its culture and language to help others on this forum since the day I joined (the reason the people who run this website asked me to be part of their team).  I've never crowed about that either.

Bit of a shame you have to defend yourself on here, on many occasions you have helped me with valuable advice, as do some others.
I hope this sort of thing doesn't put you off

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

So you and some others think that telling all and sundry about your stability and wonderful circumstances is helpful ?

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the only purpose of this forum is for us to have supportive conversations with each other.

The larger overarching purpose of this forum is to provide a searchable database (the "searchable" part definitely needs work) for general inquiries from the internet. 

So everything we post here is available to future casual readers who are trying to get information about expat life in Vietnam.

They ought to have a well-rounded record of ideas expressed, as long as those ideas and circumstances noted are generally on topic to the subject.

I get it that you don't want to hear about how much money I make, or some of the things that Ciambella has to say about her circumstances, but all replies here are not directed solely to you.

The replies aren't even necessarily directed toward the OP, who started us off with a simple question and a link to an internet news story.

Maybe ratchet down the indignation a notch, take a virtual step back and see that many different experiences and opinions are being expressed here.

Quoting your stability of income or interests in b*tts is not on topic.

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:

Now you're just replying in a manner similar to that of a petulant little child.

Of course stability of income is totally on point, and if you can't deal as an adult with a well-worn idiom, Fuggedaboutit and report me to ADMIN.

Hopefully they will delete all of these wayward posts of yours and mine that you inspired.

Rather than get into the current fray, I would like to go back to the original post and quote from the link, and then make an observation:  "Quan, landlord of a 10-aparment complex in Thu Duc District, has seen his revenues go down 80 percent as his tenants, mostly blue-collar workers, left the city for their hometowns after their jobs got cut."

Based on the above, I wonder if the Vietnamese custom of asking for rent deposits of two or more months stems in part from a tendency of local Vietnamese tenants to skip out on leases.  Many expats are rightfully distressed by what they see as excessive deposit  amounts but that likely stems from the fact that the expats feel strongly that they are unlikely to dishonor the lease.   

Another aspect of renting that differs from western countries may be the imperative to make minor repairs before leaving an apartment.  When we left our apartment, I suggested to my wife that we patch up the holes we had drilled in the concrete walls to hang pictures and she insisted that nobody in Vietnam did that.  Our case was slightly unusual in that we were being followed by a purchaser who intended to remodel and then move in themselves, so the holes were going to be patched and the walls painted anyway.

I started by saying that I would not get into the fray but I can be sympathetic to the plight of anyone whose only income is ESL teaching and who now has no income at all.  (I really don't know if this describes anyone in the current discussion or not.)  Perhaps if our hypothetical unemployed teacher does have good relations with a landlord, such a person could suggest maybe paying some portion of the rent with the understanding that the balance would be paid after the crisis is over.  It never hurts to try.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Now you're just replying in a manner similar to that of a petulant little child.

Of course stability of income is totally on point, and if you can't deal as an adult with a well-worn idiom, Fuggedaboutit and report me to ADMIN.

Hopefully they will delete all of these wayward posts of yours and mine that you inspired.

The drift into b*tts was not started by me.

THIGV wrote:

Rather than get into the current fray, I would like to go back to the original post and quote from the link, and then make an observation:  "Quan, landlord of a 10-aparment complex in Thu Duc District, has seen his revenues go down 80 percent as his tenants, mostly blue-collar workers, left the city for their hometowns after their jobs got cut."

Based on the above, I wonder if the Vietnamese custom of asking for rent deposits of two or more months stems in part from a tendency of local Vietnamese tenants to skip out on leases.  Many expats are rightfully distressed by what they see as excessive deposit  amounts but that likely stems from the fact that the expats feel strongly that they are unlikely to dishonor the lease.   

Another aspect of renting that differs from western countries may be the imperative to make minor repairs before leaving an apartment.  When we left our apartment, I suggested to my wife that we patch up the holes we had drilled in the concrete walls to hang pictures and she insisted that nobody in Vietnam did that.  Our case was slightly unusual in that we were being followed by a purchaser who intended to remodel and then move in themselves, so the holes were going to be patched and the walls painted anyway.

I started by saying that I would not get into the fray but I can be sympathetic to the plight of anyone whose only income is ESL teaching and who now has no income at all.  (I really don't know if this describes anyone in the current discussion or not.)  Perhaps if our hypothetical unemployed teacher does have good relations with a landlord, such a person could suggest maybe paying some portion of the rent with the understanding that the balance would be paid after the crisis is over.  It never hurts to try.

I have a Vietnamese "friend" who is in the selling & rental market as an agent, works for an employer by day & then screws his employer at night by working on the black!
Anyways he is always amazed how Western renters want to do as you say, put the place back to the way we find it, even cleaning it! He told me that no Vietnamese, Korean, Tiawan or even Japanese do it...........Is that too general a statement do you think? :/

After negotiation with my landlows, They agreed to 50% off for the several months my business and apartment rents. That 50% means lots for me at this time.

Better to approach landlord now rather than later and skip out on the lease.

As for repairs... Well I looked at a few apartments before opting for this one.

One had repair to wallpaper than was held in place with lots of sellotape...

Another had been badly bodged on the plumbing so water wouldn't drain away due to the kinks in the hose.

Currently found a couple of minor repairs to do. Extractor fan in one bathroom didn't work. I assume someone took it apart to clean and never reconnected it.

Bulbs.. I would say around half the bulbs needed replacing.

Not a big deal with the bulbs, I do think apartments here have more light switches than is necessary. Sometimes have a light above picture on the wall .. why ?? It's not that nice a picture - probably bought for the equivalent of IKEA.

Shortly after we moved in the floor tiles in one room cracked.. I felt quite guilty about asking landlady to repair...

Contem talk wrote:

After negotiation with my landlows, They agreed to 50% off for the several months my business and apartment rents. That 50% means lots for me at this time.

nice one well done you :top:

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Another had been badly bodged on the plumbing so water wouldn't drain away due to the kinks in the hose.

Currently found a couple of minor repairs to do. Extractor fan in one bathroom didn't work. I assume someone took it apart to clean and never reconnected it.

Not a big deal with the bulbs, I do think apartments here have more light switches than is necessary. Sometimes have a light above picture on the wall .. why ?? It's not that nice a picture - probably bought for the equivalent of IKEA.

Shortly after we moved in the floor tiles in one room cracked.. I felt quite guilty about asking landlady to repair...

Sounds pretty normal mate, been here 14 years & could write a book, honest I could.
Gonna tell you a story.........was looking at places about a year ago now...right. So agent took me to see 2 places.

One place was at the  Caladon (pretty up market) development beside AEON MALL & had family living in it when we went to view........Jusus man I was in shock at the state of the place & less that 2 years old!

Second place was in the same block I live now but different apartment. Again a family in it. The kid had drawn with non wipe off marker pen all over the kitchen units, floor, walls, etc in every room, I was in shock, the agent & the family did not bat an eye lid man.

goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Sounds pretty normal mate, been here 14 years & could write a book, honest I could.
Gonna tell you a story.........was looking at places about a year ago now...right. So agent took me to see 2 places.

One place was at the  Caladon (pretty up market) development beside AEON MALL & had family living in it when we went to view........Jusus man I was in shock at the state of the place & less that 2 years old!

Second place was in the same block I live now but different apartment. Again a family in it. The kid had drawn with non wipe off marker pen all over the kitchen units, floor, walls, etc in every room, I was in shock, the agent & the family did not bat an eye lid man.

Drawing on the walls is very common, not sure why anyone with an ounce of intelligence would let there kids do that.

Just goes to show..

That's sort of thing in the UK would have been no return of deposit at the end.

I looked at a new place in Centara.. beautiful apartment.. apartment form one bathroom.. builder must have had dodgy guts because it looked like it had been pebble dashed.

Shake.. liked it other than that.

showing an apt while someone is living in it is so third world. you want the prospective tenant to walk in and say: yes, i can see myself living here.

you don't want to show a prospective tenant an apt that is dirty and has the current tenants underwear on the floor.

its just common sense. but NOTHING is common sense in this country. they always sell out tomorrow for today and that is not a good long term strategy.

The handyman has still to be invented here. In creating they're fantastic but then....... the maintenance is just like "why" and even for motorbikes, no oil change,  no problem. It's still driving. Within 10 years when you have middle class, things will change but before that, it's just too much money and they are right. It's still cheaper for most Vietnamese to build a new house than paying maintenance for 30 years.

Contem talk wrote:

Congrats.   :top:

Sobie wrote:

The handyman has still to be invented here. In creating they're fantastic but then....... the maintenance is just like "why" and even for motorbikes, no oil change,  no problem. It's still driving. Within 10 years when you have middle class, things will change but before that, it's just too much money and they are right. It's still cheaper for most Vietnamese to build a new house than paying maintenance for 30 years.

Sorry I dont wear the creating fantastic bit, i have been involved with having 2 houses, a love hotel built in the sticks & bought 3 new apartments in HCMC & the standard of work is absolutly disgracefull, especially the finishing off & electrical work, just dont even go there. One thing though I really admire them for is the work they do in finishing concrete, its brilliant & like an art form!