Tourist Visa

I am currently in Colombia with a ninety day tourist visa which expires in a couple of weeks.  I am unable to leave Colombia because all the international flights are canceled for the next several weeks and I like everybody else cannot leave the apartment where I am located except to buy food.  By the time things get back to normal my ninety day visa will have expired.  Does anyone have any idea how the Colombian or U.S. government plans to help people with expiring tourist visas?  Hopefully somebody from the U.S. embassy in Bogota will see this message and address the problem.

I don't have the answers but perhaps this page can help explain some, in part:

https://thebogotapost.com/visas-colombi … rus/44294/

The ones in charge are Migración Colombia and they may not have thought it through yet, what to do for someone with your problem.

https://www.migracioncolombia.gov.co/no … o-de-salud

If I were you I would not wait for anyone to contact you, but call or contact the US Embassy in Bogotá, the phone number is at the bottom of this page:

https://co.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

U.S. Embassy Bogotá
Carrera 45 No. 24B-27 Bogotá, D.C. Colombia
Phone: (+57) (1) 275-2000
Fax: (+57) (1) 275-4600

Good Luck, and please keep us updated as to the progress and resolution of your situation.

Thank you for your response.  I have communicated with the Embassy through the STEP program to let them know I am here and explained my concern via their system but have not had any response.  Nonetheless I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place as I cannot go to the local immigration office in Pereira because of quarantine and it is probably closed anyway.  It would make me feel better if somebody at the Embassy could communicate with the Colombian Foreign Ministry so that automatic visa extension could be given to people in my situation until the airlines start functioning again.

OsageArcher wrote:

The ones in charge are Migración Colombia and they may not have thought it through yet, what to do for someone with your problem.

I suspect they have not thought it through.

Regardless, and under any circumstances, Colombia is not a good country to be in if you are without a current visa or valid tourist stamp.

(Several years ago I was threatened with a stiff fine by immigration officials in Popayán for a visa-related infraction.  In contrast, I overstayed in Peru by several months in 2019 and was delayed on my eventual flight out of the Lima airport for only a few minutes.  I paid a $200 fine on the spot.  I considered that lenient.)

Immigration attorneys are no doubt keeping up to date with such matters .. and a good one can offer strategies to work around any closure of immigration offices or other obstacles created by the pandemic.

In the OP's case, I would contact such an attorney for a (probably free) initial consultation via email .. and take it from there.

You do not necessarily have to be in the same city as an English-speaking attorney to employ him or her.  Search around expat.com on this forum to find attorney recommendations.

cccmedia

I am pretty sure you will be ok. Everything else in the world has been put on hold. I figure that officials in Colombia will be lenient with circumstances.

I hope you are right.  The U.S. Embassy said there is some kind of decree by the Migration Colombia that they are extending tourist visas like mine to the end of May.  However they did not provide any documentation of this.  My concern is that someone on down the line, like a local policeman, might not be aware of the decree and cause me problems.

My experiences with Colombia over 3 years has been very positive. I find Colombia is the most "user friendly" for foreigners after visiting many Central American countries. If you had any hassles exiting after this lock down it would be out of character with my experiences.
A little advice for you (and sharing).
If you look like a foreigner stay home and suffer ok? Wait it out. This stupid shut down is bad for Colombians and the longer this goes on the more dangerous it becomes for foreigners.
They see you as the source of the coronavirus. A traveler right?
You have to go to the bank right? I understand. I go to my ATM (the closest preferrably isolated to avoid crowds of people) by taxi. Quick hit and run.
Do your best and get everything delivered to your location for the extra 4 bucks.
You wanna go out right now...good luck!
Shit happens OK? I am playing this smart and you should to... or what's a expat forum for hahahahahahaha
I will help if you have more questions. My philosophy in life...prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And don't sweat the little things.