Anyone else enjoying watching the DOW tank today?

manwonder wrote:
mugtech wrote:

DOW down over 7% 30 minutes after the market opened.   Princess Cruises, whose stock is down 57% from its recent high, is suspending all operations starting immediately for 60 days.  The move on Europeans not being allowed into the US could cause other cruise lines to take similar actions, causing severe cash flow problems and possible chapter 11 filings.  Stay tuned.

News is Just going to get worse by the hour!

I am happy that we still have news.

:sleep

manwonder wrote:
Philippine Destiny wrote:

I suggest that everyone get to the place they want to be indefinitely and stay there before the decision is made for you.

No more "kick the can down the road!"
Sheesh!

:(

No sooner had I said that then they announced the lock down.

DOW was down 9.99% in one day yesterday.  That is a correction in a single day.

Cruise line stocks were hit hard.

More ports are locking out cruise ships.  Spain said two ships can dock this week as scheduled, but only to discharge passengers, then no cruise ships in any ports.  Seattle cancelled the first two dockings of the start of the Alaska cruise season on April 1 and April 5.  Most ships show up late April or early May.

There is a lot of opportunity being stored up with these drops. Fortunes can be made when it comes back up after all of this goes away. Philippines will take a hit in the short term, but the lower it goes the more potential it will have to go back up. That is the bright side.

There is a lot of opportunity being stored up with these drops. Fortunes can be made when it comes back up after all of this goes away. Philippines will take a hit in the short term, but the lower it goes the more potential it will have to go back up. That is the bright side.

If its an 'U' shaped stock market recovery that would likely mean it should take about a year for correction mode to kick in...YES fortunes can be had in time...."but not yet"!
(Sheesh...what a difference a year makes!)
Its very 'Ugly' all over Asia too.
In the philippines...i'm worried abt the severe social problems that will occur when the millions of OFW's all over the world start loosing their jobs & start being sent back home!
We may have to re-look into the safety aspects of actually living here.

That was the Narrowest 'V' shaped recovery in history!
Simply mind boggiling!

:/

the fed is playing basketball with the dead cat

Actually the problem is a convergence of several things.

1st is the Virus is causing a world wide panic. Yelling fire in the movie theater, while everyone could have calmly walk out.
1a: The panic has slowed world wide productivity, economys depends on moving $$ from my pocket to yours, your pockets to your neighbors, your neighbors pockets to mine.

2nd: The fall of oil prices, a barrel of oil has been the shadow currency of the dollar.
2a: The price war between Russia & Saudi Arabia both needing Petrol Dollars so they refuse to cut back  production.
2b: Since the US is not dependent  upon foreign oil, there is a glut. At one time the rise of oil   triggered economic woes, now the opposite is true.

3rd The bigger fool theory of Wall Street and then add in 1a from above, lower future profits, lower dividends for the little guy but big profits for the hedge fund  controlled "Bots".

This is my opinion, your mileage may vary, Gordon Gekko & Jordan Belfort are smiling.

W9XR wrote:

1st is the Virus is causing a world wide panic. Yelling fire in the movie theater, while everyone could have calmly walk out.
1a: The panic has slowed world wide productivity, economys depends on moving $$ from my pocket to yours, your pockets to your neighbors, your neighbors pockets to mine.

2nd: The fall of oil prices, a barrel of oil has been the shadow currency of the dollar.
2a: The price war between Russia & Saudi Arabia both needing Petrol Dollars so they refuse to cut back  production.
2b: Since the US is not dependent  upon foreign oil, there is a glut. At one time the rise of oil   triggered economic woes, now the opposite is true.

3rd The bigger fool theory of Wall Street and then add in 1a from above, lower future profits, lower dividends for the little guy but big profits for the hedge fund  controlled "Bots".

This is my opinion, your mileage may vary, Gordon Gekko & Jordan Belfort are smiling.

US is only oil independent due to shale. Shale is only viable at $50 a barrel.

Guess what that means. Of course, that is now mitigated a bit by the lagging demand that is setting in.

update

I just heard on the news the answer to my question about what this means to shale.

Shale industry getting a bail out to keep them limping along.  :lol:

The world could easily live with oil at $60 a barrel as  in the past. Some countries subsidize gasoline prices, while others have a hefty tax.

W9XR wrote:

Guess what that means. Of course, that is now mitigated a bit by the lagging demand that is setting in.

update

I just heard on the news the answer to my question about what this means to shale.

Actually at $60 a barrel the world could just hum along fine. Some countries subsidize gasoline, while others put a big tax on it. Oil from shale could be left in the ground until prices rise above $50.

W9XR wrote:

Yup with my own limited mileage it does makes sense...to use all these massive huge loans that are being taken (which are very near record breaking 'O' interest rates & which were "meant" for industrial/business/iimprovement/expansion) and instead just  plowed that money back into the stock market for share buy-backs instead! So as to make the poor jack & jill  to shiver & loose their shirts & skirts!
:D

W9XR wrote:
W9XR wrote:

update

Actually at $60 a barrel the world could just hum along fine. Some countries subsidize gasoline, while others put a big tax on it. Oil from shale could be left in the ground until prices rise above $50.

Shale oil won't be left in the ground. Trump is signing a 75 million barrel bail out. He has to to keep th industry alive. They would begin to shut down production soon if not. then when things turn around that capacity would take a long time to redevelop. So this I guess is a smart move.

W9XR wrote:

update

Shale oil won't be left in the ground. Trump is signing a 75 million barrel bail out. He has to to keep th industry alive. They would begin to shut down production soon if not. then when things turn around that capacity would take a long time to redevelop. So this I guess is a smart move.

Yup another SMART  "Too Big To Fail" bailout!

manwonder wrote:
W9XR wrote:

a rising tide lifts all ships

some more than others

the plebes would still be living in dung if the elite did not have their break away civilization on the dark side of the moon

No one questions where those trillion$ went.

Hyperbole to illustrate the point that, while we whine about bailouts the fact is that even the common man can drive a Lexus or the common man can retire at 30 something and live on a tropical island. So let the super rich have their bailouts. I will settle for the Lexus and the Island.

manwonder wrote:

some more than others

the plebes would still be living in dung if the elite did not have their break away civilization on the dark side of the moon

Hyperbole to illustrate the point that, while we whine about bailouts the fact is that even the common man can drive a Lexus or the common man can retire at 30 something and live on a tropical island. So let the super rich have their bailouts. I will settle for the Lexus and the Island.

Sounds very reasonable to me!

manwonder wrote:
manwonder wrote:

some more than others

Sounds very reasonable to me!

I was exaggerating. A lot of ships sink.

Ohh no!!! It gets worse...someone claims they just saw a "Black Swan"!

manwonder wrote:

President Donald Trump is reportedly furious that stocks are plunging & screaming at the FED to act!!!

:/

They finally dropped the rate to zero.

So who wins by Trump "forcing " the FED to do that?

Who runs the FED?

The banks.

Who benefits? The banks. Coincidence?

Trump and the FED pretend they are not coordinated. they pretend to be at odds.

But who appointed the FED chief?

trump did

Yup it was the 'Black Swan' that was sighted!

manwonder wrote:

even blacker swans may be on the horizon

manwonder wrote:

even blacker swans may be on the horizon

black is black by Los Bravos
One of my favourites!

See what it is doing now? It was up almost 2000 Friday. Down 2300 right now.

I think this could go down to 10-12k where we were about 9 years ago.  Maybe it only goes to 15k.

I think this could go down to 10-12k where we were about 9 years ago.  Maybe it only goes to 15k.

Sorry to see such pain & grief in the markets..It must be such a  heartbreaking moment for many invested!

Covid 19 is still spreading and that will comeback to China still as countries close borders and further restricts their consumption hence their importation of products from China.

Possible global depression...

I´ve been buying the dips cautiously as I´m expecting bank troubles in China. The govt
intervened and don´t want banks to call in their loans. Aw aw aw awooooooo!

robal

Cheap oil due to the price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia and Trump wants to fill up on strategic oil reserves. I have yet to see lower gas prices in Brazil...

W9XR wrote:

The world could easily live with oil at $60 a barrel as  in the past. Some countries subsidize gasoline prices, while others have a hefty tax.

Very hefty tax in Brazil.

Dow Jones nosedives 2,000 pts, S&P 500 sheds $2 trillion in value & oil prices tumble....BUT still no drop in gasoline prices here in the philippines!
sheesh...the poor man still does not even get a 'crumb' of the carnage!

Wall Street's fear gauge has just jumped to over 75%...ohh no!!!!

manwonder wrote:

If meltdown comes it´s not supposed to be like 1929 as central banks could intervene now more forcefully. And exchanges could stop trading to avoid evaporation of wealth in thin air...

robal

It was a dead cat bounce. The principles and factors of economic decline is still in place and would only worsen in the coming days.

robal

robal wrote:

It was a dead cat bounce. The principles and factors of economic decline is still in place and would only worsen in the coming days.

robal

It was the plunge protection team.

manwonder wrote:

Sorry to see such pain & grief in the markets..It must be such a  heartbreaking moment for many invested!

It broke my heart in 2007/8.

I got out and it was very hard watching it go up, but I knew if was a trap tempting people to get bankrupted again.

But what has been going on since Trump was elected is an obvious bubble.  We have lost almost all of that gain. But telling the right that the Trump market was a bubble was like telling the left about Obama's drone program.

robal wrote:
manwonder wrote:

If meltdown comes it´s not supposed to be like 1929 as central banks could intervene now more forcefully. And exchanges could stop trading to avoid evaporation of wealth in thin air...

robal

They have been intervening. They have invested trillions in the markets over the last ten years behind the curtain.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/cluster-o … et/5387281https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ma … /10548183/https://seekingalpha.com/article/418977 … et-lifting

Their job is not to save the market.  It is to allow it to collapse at the appointed time.

Many do not realize this and it seems like incredible, but is has been going on.

13% drop in one day

13% drop in one day

Yup
"It was a starry starry night"..."Now they will listen or they never knew how!" Vincent (Don Mc Lean)

I said it could go down to 12k, but I think it could go down to 0. Not joking. This has the potential to reset civilization. "Potential" not saying it is going there. A month ago no one foresaw a 33% drop. Those buying the dips right now might be likened to the people gathering fish on the beach during  an unexpected and unusually low tide. Those good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye.