Moving to NL to join my Dutch partner, do I need to integrate in NL?

Hi everyone, so I am in the process of moving to the Netherlands to join my boyfriend, and I have a question. I understand that I need to do my integration exam in my (non-EU) country of origin, however I noticed that some new comers need to do an integration exam in the Netherlands too. Who is obligated to sit that exam? Is it based on individual cases? I had been living in NL for the past 2 years but I was working at international English speaking agencies and I know that is not recognized to be dutch work experience. But considering the amount of time I've lived there and dating my Dutch bf for over a year now would I still need to integrate in NL? And if I do need to integrate am I allowed to work once I arrive in NL or do I have to wait until I am fully integrated?
Thanks and sorry I have so many questions🙈

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Integration is a 2 part process (pretty much as you describe it) for all those who are required to do it; that said, some Gemeente's seem to be more strict about the 2nd part than others.  Exemptions are available, but you'll need documentary proof that you speak Dutch (i.e. course certificates, or Dutch school exam results; it's not only spoken, there's also written and cultural questions).

You can work once you enter the country and register at the Gemeente.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team