Adopting a pet in Greece

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Greece.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Greece?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Greece?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Greece? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Strangely, we have just acquired a dog.
She started coming around last August, obviously hungry, so we started feeding her.  Bit by bit she began to trust us and came into the yard and wanted company and affection, as well as food.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, she turned up a few weeks ago with a bad ear infection which required medical attention, so we took her to the vet, who prescribed a course of treatment with a couple of follow up visits and said she shouldn't be allowed to roam free if she is to recover fully.  So, we took her to the grooming parlour & had her bathed and got her nails clipped, bought a lead, a bed, some bowls, some toys . . .
. . . as I write this she is snoring in her bed by my desk.
She digs holes in the garden and she chews stuff we'd rather she didn't chew, but overall, she's a beautiful and affectionate dog. 
It's been a bit expensive for a pet we didn't want, and it will be more expensive to visit England, as Ryanair don't like dogs, so we'll probably drive (my RAV4 only does about 22 mpg . . . gulp!), but we love her and everyone in the village says she has changed so much since she chose to come and live with us. 
Well, there's my experience of 'being adopted by a dog'. 
Have a nice day.

Thats a lovely story,well done,a friend for life.My neighbors dog across the road sits out on their very small front veranda and enjoys any sunshine and people watches,when schools out many children say hello to it,stroke it and give it lots of kisses,what great therapy,getting children to touch affectionately and show love to animals,we need more of it.My brother in Australia who lives in the middle of nowhere found a wandering dog,I kept on at him to get one,he got her completely done,vetted and goes miles with her,him on his bike.She loves to sit outside and watch the day light turn to dusk every evening as I do,he loves her to bits,so,alls well that ends well.As I have said before,kindness moves mountains.