Formalities to bring your pet in Greece

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Greece?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Greece?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Greece?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

I don't know much about his except that some friends here on Symi wanted to take their dogs back to the UK when they left after 10 years on the island. The dogs had to have pet passports which involved: a check-up by a vet (over on Rhodes), inoculations of some sort, a six month wait to see if those jabs had taken, then a repeat treatment if they hadn't, then another check-up and ‘all clear' within 24 hours of actually travelling, then special cages on the plane and very expensive tickets.
Point being: if you're bringing animals in and out of the UK it's very expensive. Within Europe though, I think it's just a case of having a pet passport isn't it? Maybe you don't even need that.

James

Thanks for this sharing James!

Harmonie.:)

I brought 2 dogs here it was pretty easy tbh but pricey. Its all worth it though would never leave them behind!

Hi Julien
This all depends on the coutry you are comming from.
I have 3 dogs that Im bringing in from South Africa.
It is expensive! I am using a pet travel company
and am flying them in with KLM as you can travel on the same flight as your pets.
Had to leave them behind (missing them a lot!!) and fetching them in April.(Cant wait!)   Rabies vaccination is a 4 months plus process in originating country before they can travel. RSA regarded as "high incidence of rabies" country. Maybe your current location is not.
You need to check it out on the internet as to what applies from the country you are in now.
It is costing me Euro 1 000plus per dog approx.  I have three so am now broke!

Hi mariannek!

Thanks for your help.

Armand