Adopting a pet in Bulgaria

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Bulgaria.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Bulgaria?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Bulgaria?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Bulgaria? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Drive down almost any street in Bulgaria and you will see dogs from pups to adults roaming around who have no owners...it is a problem here. There is nothing to stop you befriending one and making it a member of your family.
Some years ago I went to check on one of our properties and in doing so noticed a 'bundle of fluff' under the BBQ.
On investigation the bundle turned out to be a tiny puppy. I found where I thought it had got through the fence and pushed it out again reasoning that as we already had a dog we didn't need another!
With that I jumped on my bike and played hosed to a mental conflict on the way home...on one shoulder was the 'good guy[ and on the other the 'bad guy'. The mental debate went on for several minutes before the 'good guy' said 'Come on its a few weeks old, it'll die if you leave it!'
Swinging my bike round I returned and found said pup still sitting by the gate...called my wife who, with a shriek. Jumped on her bike and broke the Sound Barrier on the way down...one look and the ball of fluff with green eyes was in a bag on the handlebars!
The rest is history...we now have the most beautiful dog I have ever seen with a temperament to match...he is my constant companion and I could never be with out him for anything!!!

I'm a cat person. We brought two cats to Bulgaria from Russia and adopted a third one here. We came by car and had no problems while crossing borders on our way here. Our two cats had all necessary vaccinations, they had passports but no one  was ever interested in that.

The third cat came at night in winter. The frost was severe and she prepared to die close to the wall of our house.  Fortunately, one of our Russian cats noticed her. He started looking attentively in the window, we became interested, looked there too and noticed the poor creature in the darkness. 

Now we are happy with three cats. 
Our Bulgarian cat is the only owner of the EU passport in our family :)
There are good vets here, you can buy any food your cat needs ... Actually I don't know what sort of problems one can face while adopting a cat.

If you want to have a dog you can take one from a shelter or make happy one of homeless dogs - there are a lot of them in the streets.
There are no shelters for cats but  there are a lot of cats in any village. Sometimes people feed 9-12 cats. I'm sure they'll be glad to give you one or two, especially kittens.