Driving across Europe with a Dog

Hi

So we have finally made the exciting decision to move to the stunning Rila mountains and are currently planning the road trip. Along for the ride is our little (but feisty) Jack Russell and I was hoping someone could give me some advice about the best route when travelling with Dogs. I am particularly looking for the easiest border crossings as I don't want to stress the little fella out too much!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Gordon

Welcome to the Forum :)

Wow, that is some journey. Driving it, you are looking at a good 30 hours and that not including stops. So what every way you look at it you will need to do a couple of stops and stay at a couple of hotels. Unless you fancy sleeping in the car?

Do you plan to import the car into the country?

Have you in fact thought of flying over? Then buying a car when you arrive?

Hi we drove over with our old boy who has sadly passed now. The route we took was the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then out of the ferry terminal and set our sat nav for Brussels but take the ring road round it, you should set your sat nav so that it takes you round the cities. Belgium ,Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania now depending on where you are heading to in Bulgaria you have to decide which border to cross at. If you live near Sofia, Vidin Bridge would be good, if you are in the middle of  the country Ruse Bridge, we live down near the Kardam border which is where we cross.

You have to make sure that you buy your vignettes for Austria, Hungary and Romania and of course Bulgaria!. You can buy these at the very first big petrol stations or online now apart from Bulgarian one!

You will be fine if your dog has his passport and it's all up to date. They really don't take too much notice of pets as long as documents are in order.
You can get a good sat nav with all the up to date country maps on. Take your time and enjoy your journey make sure you have enough water and bowl in the car for your dog if you get stuck in traffic jams!

Do not go through Serbia!

I must add if you insist on driving beware that many roads across Europe you pay Tolls or you require a Vignette for each country that a fee is payable. Failing to display, they will track you down and fine you heavily. So do your homework to which country needs what.

Hi

Thank you so much for your message. I am getting the overnight ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam then heading though Germany. We are moving to near Borovets in the Rila Mountains so could approach from the north or the west. I had thought about coming through Serbia as this seems to be the most direct route, is there a reason I should avoid this?

Gordon

Hey

Thank you for your message... I have driven to and from Bulgaria a couple of times (usually taking my time and via as many countries as possible) but this is the first time I need to take a practical direct route, I don't mind paying tolls and vignettas. I just want the quickest most stress free route for me and my wee dog!

Thanks G

Hi Gordon, Serbia is not covered by your dogs passport! DEFRA does not let you take your dog as it's not in the E.U. but if you are not taking your pet back to the UK then I can't see it being a problem! I've driven through Serbia, it took me approximately 4/5 hours, so you arnt in the country too long. I loved driving this way, but I didn't have pets, the new part of the motorway has opened now. There are toll roads but these aren't expensive, so make sure you have some euro coins. In total it worked out at about 7.50 euro.  It brings you to the right part of Bulgaria for you! Enjoy your journey! And good luck in your new adventure, we retired here and love our life!

You can now get digital vignettas for the car now in Austria should you choose to go through the country.

Hello, SimCityAT I am planning on a trip like that too, I live now in Wyoming USA, will drive from there to New York(3-4 days) where my car will also get shipped from then Queen Mary 2 to Hamburg Germany pick-up my car there and then was going to go down thou Germany - Italy to the bottom and take ferry to Greece and drive to BG that way, do not have to deal with Serbia... to get to BG, ferry from Italy to Greece is about 100 euro and think will be better drive and lot less problems.

Hi I am about to set off for Bulgaria with 2 dogs with passports and I was going to drive through Serbia but your warning as given me cause for concern, can you explain further, please.
i am leaving next week and have to book hotels etc so a prompt reply would be appreciated.
KR Nigel

I was a self employed courier and did runs throughout the EU. Serbia has too many      corrupt police and fuel stops can be rare.  I would go through Romania as Bullador said. It won't make much difference to the time when your journey is measured in days not hours.
My JR's. Travelled 1000's of miles in my van, just stop and enjoy a walk every few hours, don't be in a rush.  Don't forget that he'll soon get bored and sleep, you are doing the work!

Thank you for all your messages... I am setting off today on the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and then driving down through Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania... Trailer is packed and my wee dog is almost as excited as me! I will post when I arrive in Bulgaria to update on any learnings I pick up on the way.

Gordon

Good luck, let me know how it goes will be doing it  next year.

Hello Gordon !

Would you mind sharing your experience with the trip taken? I am planning to travel from Amsterdam to Bulgaria via Germany , Austria , Hungary and Romania with a cat .
I'd really appreciate your advice !!

Greetings,
Valeria

Last year i went from Bulgaria - Romania - Hungary - Czech republic - Poland with my dog.
He has a European passport, however some of the boarders we not interested that he was in the back of the car. At every check i would hand mine/girlfriend and dogs passport. Some they would only take of me our 2 and not worry about the dogs.

No probems at any boarders.

Ally

however i would be interested to know what the deal with traveling trough Serbia if anyone has had experience

thanks

Hello Lillianausa,
would you please share some more information on the Italy-Greece ferry trip (with a car) ? That option sounds amazing. Thank you in advance

Greetings,
Valeria

Hi Valeria

I drove the exact same route as you have described with my dog. Not one border crossing asked for a pet passport, in fact no one seemed interested that I had a pet with me!

I did loads of research beforehand and deliberately missed Serbia because I couldn't get clear information about travelling with pets however everything was very simple...

There are lots of interesting routes through Europe to Bulgaria but if you just want a hassle free quick route then, Germany, Austria, Hungaria and Romania is the best option...

Good luck!

Gordon

have not done the trip yet still have 3 months but just Google ferry from Italy to greec and you can see everything.