Pets in Bulgaria

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Bulgaria have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Bulgaria? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Bulgarians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

We have a Staffie and A Staffie/Pitbull cross that we bought with us from UK.  We had to get their vaccinations in order and a pet passport issued which was expensive but fairly painless.  The journey across was with a transit van packed to the gunnels with a large dog cage which we had bolted to the vans infastructure and faced the windscreen, allowing us to speak to the dogs and for them to see us.  Sometimes it was difficult to find places for the dogs could safely get out and stretch their legs but their were plenty more places that made wonderful walks.  When we arrived at our house in Bulgaria they refused to leave the van!  Even now if we head out in the van they get uber excited.

We now also have a ginger Tom kitten  we feed 2 street dogs regularly because they arrived at our gate skeletal and days from death.  This is not appreciated by our neighbours.  They all have dogs that are chained in the chicken runs or animal pens and cats for ratting but do not appreciate street dogs being welcomed in their vicinity.  There is a different ethos to animals.  Our neighbour, whilst loving our dogs was horrified to see them on our couch and rather memorably once on our bed!  We laugh it off until we see them throwing stones at the street dogs or kicking them and of course poisoning happens too.  That is harder to stay quiet about.  I think it is also important to realise that when you feed a street dog there may be people who are financially unable to feed themselves - it is then easier to understand the outrage at feeding strays.

In the cities it seems to be different with animals being part of the family and closer to the ethos we have in the UK.

It is a valid point that you make that if people are living hand to mouth then seeing you feed street dogs annoyed your neighbors, but it is impossible to switch off a  humane attitude especially being dog owners yourselves. I also would not be comfortable in the knowledge of dogs beaten kicked or stones thrown at them, sadly their is the difference in our upbringing, in my village I'm more likely to see a dog running behind a cart, and it looks a little awkward when dog's are on leashes.
It is a great country to bring up a healthy and happy dog plenty of space to run around into although in cities and larger towns are their sections of parks for dogs to be taken as I've not noticed any?
Steve.

I would definitely say the city mentality is different than the village mentality for pets. there are several cats and a few dogs that 'belong' to my apartment building- in that they come to our building for feeding. In general, people toss their leftovers off their back balcony and the cats and dogs (sometimes birds) snatch them up... it is... a unique system for food disposal. 

Steve- I know in Varna there is at least one specialized dog park where my SIL takes her dog to run off leash- not sure of the exact location, but I can ask about it if anyone is interested.

In the city people do care about their pets. This company does day care which is a new concept in Bulgaria and they are growing so it shows some people are prepared to pay for their pet's happiness.

facebook.com/HubbaHubbaPets/

I moved to Bulgaria a year ago and brought my staffy/mastiff x over with me with me.

I live in Plovdiv where he has made some good friends with some of my neighbors dogs. The majority of dogs that we meet with owners walking around the city seem to be no problem at all, friendly and playful. (owners actually bothering to spend time with their pets rather than leaving them outside on a chain all day) 

To me he is part of my family and me and my girlfriend kinda treat him like a little kid. Im sure when i speak to some Bulgarians about how he sits on the sofa with us sleeps in the bed with us etc they think i am crazy !

I bring him to work with me on occasions and he is aloud to run around the factory grounds and the surrounding fields during the day. Many of times i look out across the field and he is happily playing with some stray dogs he has bumped into.

Overall it has been no trouble at all bringing him here. One or two slight altercations with dogs that have been used to roam yards and lockups etc

my boy Mylo :)
[img]https://s21.postimg.org/st6ba33j7/Full_Size_Render.jpg[/img]

will be moving over shortly (God willing)  with my dogs.... may sound like a silly questions but dog food,:
how expensive
and what's available

and also
vet fees and insurance
what's peoples experiences please

Don't worry everything's available here, plenty of places selling all sorts of dog food.  The vets here are very good and very reasonable compared to U.K.