New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hello Everyone,

Name is Mark and I'm originally from Canada but have been living in Shanghai the last 5 years with my wife, who is from HCMC. Working as an education administrator throughout my time in China (and before that in Canada)

Eventually looking to relocate in HCMC, and currently am here as a COVID-19 refugee as currently foreigners are not allowed back to China. Been in HCMC these last 16 weeks now so it has given me a good taste of the city, which, I must admit I really do love.

Also am happy to have been here these last few months considering the great handling of the epidemic here in VN.

Best to you all,

Mark

mwuerch61 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Name is Mark and I'm originally from Canada but have been living in Shanghai the last 5 years with my wife, who is from HCMC. Working as an education administrator throughout my time in China (and before that in Canada)

Eventually looking to relocate in HCMC, and currently am here as a COVID-19 refugee as currently foreigners are not allowed back to China. Been in HCMC these last 16 weeks now so it has given me a good taste of the city, which, I must admit I really do love.

Also am happy to have been here these last few months considering the great handling of the epidemic here in VN.

Welcome to the Vietnam forum

Hopefully you will find some interesting information regarding education opportunities. 

The search function is archaic, but one or two keywords will pull up mostly relevant results.

When you need a break from the city, come on down to Vũng Tàu and enjoy the ocean.

mwuerch61 wrote:

Hi and welcome Mark!
I have been to HCMC for about a month.There is a lot I like but I have not seen a place I like that much to live there longterm.
Anyway, I will return next week to meet a friend.
Propably, I have not seen the right places. What do you love about HCMC and where would you like to stay?
Best Torsten

Hello
I am moving to Da Nang from Thailand and enjoy badminton and tennis. Cheers

Welcome to Viet Nam

Hey folks, I am Digital Nomad and currently reside in Da Nang (together with my wife, from the beginning of March 2020). I do not really look for physical socialize opportunities, just trying to keep up with the latest news and trends.
Cheers

My name is John I am moving to Nha Trang Vietnam in August  I am seeking a 1 br apartment.***

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : for security reasons, we do not accept personal information on the forum. Share them through the private message system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for introducing yourselves.

@JohnfromCanaf01: For your accommodation search, I would recommend that you post a free advert in the dedicated Housing in Nha Trang section. Check out all the latest offers as well.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hello everyone,

My name is Grey from the U.S, California but was born here in HCMC (I am a Vietnamese native). I am quite a traveler for these past years visiting Vietnam back and forth multiples time for my Media project. Came to HCMC in January and planned to return to the U.S by February but yet here I am in June still at the same place due to the pandemic. Thought this might be a good opportunity to offer my skill and experience to build my own network in the city and hopefully I can find some interesting development here on Expat. Thinking about teaching English in HCMC even though most of my degree are not carried with me during the trip (beside Highschool Diploma), anyone have any advice ?

volkun2903 wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Grey from the U.S, California but was born here in HCMC (I am a Vietnamese native). I am quite a traveler for these past years visiting Vietnam back and forth multiples time for my Media project. Came to HCMC in January and planned to return to the U.S by February but yet here I am in June still at the same place due to the pandemic. Thought this might be a good opportunity to offer my skill and experience to build my own network in the city and hopefully I can find some interesting development here on Expat. Thinking about teaching English in HCMC even though most of my degree are not carried with me during the trip (beside Highschool Diploma), anyone have any advice ?

Saturday night (6 June) the Internations dot org
website is holding it's annual mixer at the Intercontinental Hotel in HCMC.

Might be a good opportunity for networking.

Hey everyone! I'm a Southern California native who's looking to venture out. I've traveled to a few different countries (Europe, Japan, Mexico), but I'd like to move somewhere long-term and really experience a new culture. After a lot of research and a recommendation from a friend, I have become very interested in moving to Da Nang, Vietnam. I've never been to Vietnam but I've heard so many good things about it.

I'd really like to move to Da Nang in the near future, but I'm concerned about figuring out how to continue my career in finance/real estate while living there. I'd love to connect with others in the area and learn more about how to accomplish this. Are there opportunities in these industries in Da Nang?

I'm an adventurous person and I'd love to talk with people currently living in the Da Nang area to connect and learn more about the area and what it's like to live there!

mattschuberg wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm a Southern California native who's looking to venture out. I've traveled to a few different countries (Europe, Japan, Mexico), but I'd like to move somewhere long-term and really experience a new culture. After a lot of research and a recommendation from a friend, I have become very interested in moving to Da Nang, Vietnam. I've never been to Vietnam but I've heard so many good things about it.

I'd really like to move to Da Nang in the near future, but I'm concerned about figuring out how to continue my career in finance/real estate while living there. I'd love to connect with others in the area and learn more about how to accomplish this. Are there opportunities in these industries in Da Nang?

I'm an adventurous person and I'd love to talk with people currently living in the Da Nang area to connect and learn more about the area and what it's like to live there!

As of today, if you have $129,215.04 USD/₫3,000,000,000 VNĐ to invest here, it will be a breeze...

Steps to obtain an investor TRC (Temporary Residence Card)

Hi everyone!
My name is Nicole and I'm planning on moving to Can Tho as soon as the borders open. I have a current job offer (although no idea if it's a competitive salary) and am interested in finding housing once  I get there. My work puts me up in a place as long as I need so there's no real rush on that unless its a ghastly space.

Im excited to live in a little more Vietnamese centric community but also want to meet some expats who can share with me the ins and outs.

I look forward to talking with you all.

Thanks,
N

Aloha all,

My name is David and I am a 47 year old male living in Hawaii ,USA. My wife and I are looking for where we want to spend our later years and have been impressed by what we have heard about Vietnam. We currently have family ties in the Philippines but would prefer not to live there. I have always had a strange connection/fascination with Vietnam since I was a boy. Anyway I'm hear to do research and to plan for a trip within the next year.

Hi ,

I'm planning to move to Vietnam as soon as borders open. How's Vietnam now?

Thanks!

kadvera wrote:

Hi ,

Closed...

kadvera wrote:

Hi ,

Thanks!

I am planing to move since December last year...I wander what year will be December we be able to move....
Be safe there guys.

AUStan wrote:
kadvera wrote:

Hi ,

Thanks!

I am planing to move since December last year...I wander what year will be December we be able to move....

2021 maybe?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
AUStan wrote:
kadvera wrote:

Hi ,

Thanks!

2021 maybe?

Maybe...nobody knows if vaccine will be effective and how the world will look like next year..

Hello,

First came to Vung Tau mid 2011 and stayed a year. Subsequently been staying longer here and less time away, going on a total eight years now.

Used expat.com a number of years ago but found it only lightly used and deleted my account. Back on hoping there is a little more going on as I do not like and do not use Facebook.

I mostly keep to myself (more so currently) and do not have (m)any regular expat friends. I suppose my expectations are too high and people seem to generally dislike my vaguely leftist, sarcastic ways; I don't mind challenging conversations of even a political nature but I find that many people who disagree with me do so rather vehemently and aggressively (sometimes with nuances and innuendos of potential violence) which is amusing to watch for awhile but largely a drag.

I'm a creative type into art, design, photography and stories; my preferred method of transport is walking and I am currently considering getting a bicycle yet again.

I'm probably friendlier, more social and saner than I make myself sound. Or not? Almost always open to meeting up as you never who you may meet and I have also met some quality individuals in Vung Tau.

If you need any local information I may be able to help.

Tony Yoni wrote:

Hello friends,

Regards,
Tony

Please use the "Housing" section to place your advert.  Thank you.

George Dorian wrote:

First came to Vung Tau mid 2011 and stayed a year. Subsequently been staying longer here and less time away, going on a total eight years now. 

Almost always open to meeting up as you never who you may meet and I have also met some quality individuals in Vung Tau.

If you need any local information I may be able to help.

If you repost this on the Vung Tau forum, I'm certain that people who are looking to relocate to the area would be happy to seek your help.

Hello everyone,
I'm Steve - originally from England but have been living in Vietnam for almost 4 years.

Currently enjoying life living in the mostly-westerner-free Thu Duc district of HCMC (although I do dip in to D1 and D2 when the urge arises :D ).

I discovered expat.com when I briefly did a stint in recruitment over here about a year or so ago, but have been the typical lurker, reading but never getting around to posting anything  :|

Hi,
          My name is Bill and I am nearing retirement age.I am going to Viet Nam;Hoi An and Nha Trang to see if I would like to settle there in my retirement years.I am very interested in meeting members of the expat community and local people to see if this would be a wise move for me.I would deeply appreciate any help you could give in this matter

Hello.
I'm 52 years old, from Slovenia and I work as a freelance translator. I lived on and off in Vietnam for many months in the last 4 years and I want to move to Vietnam.
As for now I am looking for a visa or TRC, so I am planning to either apply as an English teacher or open a company in Vietnam. I hope I can come back before the year's end.

Hey everyone!

I'm Omar from Malaysia and currently seeking opportunities elsewhere, i,e Vietnam. I'm currently a change management consultant in an Waste Management company. I genuinely am looking for a change in direction.

I have traveled constantly to Vietnam in the last two years and after backpacking through the country I found my refuge in Dong Thap province and of course looking to migrate and potentially teach English there. However, of course I'm open to other scope as well.

Really looking forward to some advice from all here. Just desperately need this Covid issue to end soon.

Thanks!

hi friends i am new year

Hello Ciambella,

Yes. I have not spent a lot of time poking around the site and thought I was on/in the VT forum.

The 'introduce yourself' posts show up in the Vung Tau forum and aside from that one the most recent post in that forum is six months old. Just noting.

Thank you.

Moving to Can Tho this weekend with my fiancee ( to her home town and family).

I have been to Can Tho on 4 previous trips and will learn more on region when I arrive full time.

Coming from Vung Tau and time in HCMC, my initial impressions of Can Tho are of a more relaxed and open city, but I'm always captured on the river front activity.

I will take my bicycle to use and prior exposure to Can Tho traffic i feel safe to use.

Best wishes with you relocation.

Happy New Year Awk88!

Awk88 wrote:

hi friends i am new year

Wow, New Year already ! ? I hope and wish it was NY 2022 so hopefully can travel already...
Be safe

George Dorian wrote:

Happy New Year Awk88!

AUStan wrote:

Wow, New Year already ! ? I hope and wish it was NY 2022 so hopefully can travel already...
Be safe

LOL. I'm sure awk88 meant "new here", not "new year".  He's from Torino where New Year is on Jan 1 as in most of the world.

:lol:

Ciambella wrote:
George Dorian wrote:

Happy New Year Awk88!

AUStan wrote:

Be safe

LOL. I'm sure awk88 meant "new here", not "new year".  He's from Torino where New Year is on Jan 1 as in most of the world.

Yes thats understandable Ciambella, thats what I thought too...but lets say he just wanted to make us all happy because if we always serious, we are dead...
Well, happy early new year everyone :lol:

Hi, I'm Dan from Spain. Will be coming end of this month for at least 2y to HCMC to work for a para-governmental organisation from Europe but with office here in VN. I lived in Malaysia so far which was  a mixed experience. Now excited to start this new adventure.
I want to rent an apartment/studio in a tower (hopefully unfurnished, but I see already that that's a tough one). I use ChoTOT app, which is great but all in Vietnamese. Amazing offers for my budget (~500USD). Also looking into buying a new or used bike, not scooter, 150+ cc (I see already that that's also a tough one). If anyone knows agents who can help in the visa processing? I got company's agent, but who would not do other clients. Still, a friend asked me if I knew any agent. So, I pass the request along.
Thxs for any hints and hopefully meet some of you guys for a VN beer some day. Looking forward to it.
Cheers
Dan

Borders are closed...
Also you say have an office here in VN .. sounds like you are here..

Hi, I know borders are closed....for most. I'm considered an expert (not sure about that, but ppl say so). Anyhow, gov finally gave green light for me coming in. Should be arriving end of Sept. and then quarantine 2weeks in HCMC hotel.

Forget chotot

Hoozing is better for apartments

--

Why do you need a visa agent? Working for foreign owned organisation especially classified as an expert surely they would take care of visa and permits for you ?

Yes, you are right. My issue is sorted out. I dont have a need for an agent. Its for a friend of me who was asking me. Thxs for the tip on apartments search app. Will have a look into it :)

Hi all my name is Louis, originally from California, Ive been living abroad for awhile and HCM is next stop for the foreseeable future.   I'm a graduate of the Berklee College of Music and hope to meet others in the music/creative community here. Ive played electric bass for 25 years and can play most anything in the popular music realm.  Besides that, I also like cycling and am interested in learning about great places to ride(mountain bike).

Lowendloubee wrote:

Hi all my name is Louis, originally from California, Ive been living abroad for awhile and HCM is next stop for the foreseeable future.   I'm a graduate of the Berklee College of Music and hope to meet others in the music/creative community here. Ive played electric bass for 25 years and can play most anything in the popular music realm.  Besides that, I also like cycling and am interested in learning about great places to ride(mountain bike).

Where are you now? Firstly you say HCM is your next stop then say you want to meet people in the music community here .

Cycling here.. in the city can be dangerous, road traffic rules are almost non existent or get ignored. Out into the country is a bit easier, or along coastal tracks.. better to rise with a group for safety, but I have friends here who cycle from HCM to Vung Tau... Crazy if you ask me in this heat

Closed