New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi,
  Welcome to the forum, I just moved here from Canada, to get away from the snowy cold winters!!  It is a beautiful country, as I have yet to spend any length of time in Porto or Braga, I cannot comment. However, Algarve in the south is stunning, lots to do and see here.

Lorie

Hi Lori!

I've spent a winter in Alberta, so I get you! I've had Canadian friends over in Algarve, Lagos, and they loved it.
Enjoy your experience in Portugal!
Our house in Lagos is available at the moment so if you know someone interested, please let me know.

Warm regards,
Susana

Hi Susana

You memtioned that your house is available every so often. What are you offering as accommodation - we are looking to house sit or take a rental in the new year as we look for a property.

Or maybe we could do a house swap - we have a house in South West France.

Kind Regards
Paul and Debs

Hi Paul and Debs,

We have a 3 bedroom house in Lagos right next to the beach that we usually only short let for the summer. However this year we're making it available for longer stays, 6 months at least.
You're thinking of staying in Portugal for how long?

WR

Susana

We are looking to apply for NHR and will need an address from Jan sometime and also to look for a property.

We are flexible though.

Regards
Paul and Deb's

Canada is beautiful in the summer, but can be brutal in the winter!

We have been looking at Central America, but have found Portugal to be just as reasonable to live as an ex-pat, if not more reasonable.
Plus, we love Europe.

What are the job restrictions for Americans moving to Portugal? We hope to at least semi-retire, but will probably have to work as well.

Thank you,
Tom

Hello,

You would have to have a job first before you get a work visa. The company will have to prove that no local can fill that job and your qualifications will be needed. You will need to provide proof of source of income, you say you are semi retired?

Good luck

Butze

Thank you.
Tom

Hello my name is Lisa. I am looking to come to Portugal in April to explore the possibilities of moving there.
I am traveling Solo...so I was wondering it one place safer than the other for a women traveling Solo.
I have lived in Japan, England, Singapore, Malaysia and traveled extensively around the world always with my kids or husband, or friends. This is the first time I will be traveling alone, so I am a bit nervous.
This is my Aha-finding yourself at 58 adventure Solo!
I love the Coast...thought it would be a great place to clear my head, organize my thoughts with beautiful food, and Vino!
ALL INFORMATION WELCOME!

Hi and welcome!

I am new here on a permanent level, but have visited Portugal before for a few months.

I, too, am a 59 solo traveler 😊 and have been doing so often over the past 4 years.

Having moved here from Canada last month, I find living pretty much anywhere in Algarve is both beautiful and safe.

Lorie

Thank you so much for the reply. When I arrive in Portugal maybe we can have a drink together. I would love to hear about your experience of living there so far.

Absolutely! Contact me when you're settled.

Hi, my name is Lúcia, I am Portuguese and available to answer your questions, I have created some content about moving to and investing in Portugal: ***
It gives some information about the people too and Portuguese regions.
Please let me know if I can help you
Kind regards,
Lúcia Fragoso

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : No external, promotional links, please.

Ola everyone,

My name is Martin. I'm South African, of Portuguese descent.  I have tried to apply for citizenship at the local Consulate here in Johannesburg, however I was informed that they did not have my father's information on file, even though I am in possession of his original Boletim de Nascimento which proves his birth was registered. I've been advised that the  Registos Centrais in Lisbon holds records of all documents issued and that there should be a copy of his registration on file there. Unfortunately with the current situation travelling is a major issue so I'm hoping I can get either direct contact details for the appropriate department at the Registos Centrais or perhaps some advice on how to proceed, as feedback from the local consulate is very slow.

Hi Martin,

I have een taking care about that kind of documents by email or letter requests. Try sending your request by email to them: certidoes.civil.lisboa@irn.mj.pt with all the information you have.
They should reply you by email a give you all the information and steps to follow.
If you prefere by letter I can give you the details for Registo Central in Lisbon.
I hope it helps.
All the best,
Lúcia Fragoso

lucciafragoso wrote:

Hi Martin,

I have een taking care about that kind of documents by email or letter requests. Try sending your request by email to them: certidoes.civil.lisboa@irn.mj.pt with all the information you have.
They should reply you by email a give you all the information and steps to follow.
If you prefere by letter I can give you the details for Registo Central in Lisbon.
I hope it helps.
All the best,
Lúcia Fragoso

Muito Obridago Lúcia. I will definitely try with the email first.

Hi Lucia

Is that email address also good for NHR applications.

Thanks

Martindeo wrote:

Ola everyone,

My name is Martin. I'm South African, of Portuguese descent.  I have tried to apply for citizenship at the local Consulate here in Johannesburg, however I was informed that they did not have my father's information on file, even though I am in possession of his original Boletim de Nascimento which proves his birth was registered. I've been advised that the  Registos Centrais in Lisbon holds records of all documents issued and that there should be a copy of his registration on file there. Unfortunately with the current situation travelling is a major issue so I'm hoping I can get either direct contact details for the appropriate department at the Registos Centrais or perhaps some advice on how to proceed, as feedback from the local consulate is very slow.

Hi Martin, in addition to the information you have already been given, please see this link, especially posts #2 and #6. This is a request for citizenship of a Canadian citizen and son of a portuguese father, which although not the same case as yours, can help you in your process. 

https://www.expat.com//forum/viewtopic.php?id=898784

Merc-Jag wrote:

Is that email address also good for NHR applications.
Thanks

Hi Merc-jag, I don't understand your question. This email has nothing to do with NHR process.
Please read this:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=911492

If you still have questions, please say.
Best regards.

JohnnyPT wrote:

https://www.expat.com//forum/viewtopic.php?id=898784

Thank you JohnnyPT. I did come across this thread in my searches before posting. It has helpful info as well, thank you. Currently my problem is that while I have the original document that confirms my father's birth was registered, it is not loaded to the system for whatever reason, so they could not trace it at the Consulate local to me. I have mailed the Registos Centrais per the contact details supplied, hoping to hear back from them in the next view days.

Hi,

I'm gllbert and I am exploring countries to retire in.  While I still have a few more working years left in me, is there anything I should know and explore Portugal in the meanwhile ?

Hi Gilbert,
I hope you are doing well.
About Portugal I did in june an information video. You can watch it via Youtube. I can't share the link here but if you go to youtube page and place on the search bar: moving to Portugal Lucia Fragoso you can see the video.
Hope it helps. If there is something else I can help you with about Portugal, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Lúcia Fragoso

Hello!
My name is Zoe, I'm from the UK and looking to move to Portugal in the next couple of years. My partner is Portuguese and is loving there now in the albufeira area. When I move there I plan to start working as soon as possible (hopefully I'm able to find a job!) Is anyone able to point me in the right direction of what documentation I will need for when I move there to enable me to get a job and then to hopefully purchase a house in the future.

All information welcome!
Thanks

Hi Zoe and Welcome.

Please read this (post #3):

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 75#4986787

Hello. My wife and I are from the US and are planning to retire in Portugal via a D7 visa. We have nearly all of the requirements completed, including having met with the Portuguese Embassy representatives here in the US -- and yes we are still in the US and have not left yet. We have our NIF number and have reserved and paid for a one year lease on an apartment in Portugal. This is required in advance, in order to qualify for the visa. The one final item we still need is travel insurance. If anyone from the US (or elsewhere) can provide guidance on what you did for travel insurance we would greatly appreciate it. When we go to the various travel insurance web sites they require our round-trip dates. The problem is we don't know exactly when we will be going and we do not need a return ticket since we will be staying in Portugal. Once we receive our visa we will immediately make our flight reservation. Until we receive the visa we don't know when we will be leaving. Please let us know if we are going about this in the wrong way, or if there are other options to satisfy the travel insurance requirement. Thank you.

Start with Safetywing.... they will at least cover COVID-19.

I'll check them out. Thank you!

Ola Julien,
Thank you for the welcome.
I am Irish and my wife, Katie, is American.
She has a work visa for Ireland and has lived in Ireland for over 10 years.
We have been thinking seriously about moving to Portugal and yesterday we booked our accommodation with AirBnB in Lagos for Sep to Nov 2021. No. Stopping us now. I work for an IT company. , As long as I have a good network connection I can work from anywhere and Katie is a qualified holistic massage therapist.
We've holidayed near Lagos for a few years now. We plan on staying in the Algarve for the first year or so until we find our feet. I've been trying to learn Portuguese.  Ideally we wish to settle somewhere coastal but less touristy. Maybe up the West coast towards Sines.
While we stay with AirBnB we will start the official bureaucratic  processes such as NIF and CRUE, so we can then look for rentals. Plus check out the various areas to settle in.
For now we have lots of planning- removals, pet passport etc.

We are excited and nervous with this new adventure but really happy to be starting our move to Portugal. A beautiful country of wonderful people.

Cheers
Kevin and Katie

Hello and thanks for the invite.
I am Elga and I have recently relocated to Portimao with my retired expat Portuguese husband, Antonio. We are coming from Canada where we both lived for 30 years. Antonio is originally from Porto and I grew up in Puerto Rico. We are a fun loving couple looking to make this beautiful area our new home. We left behind a wonderful circle of friends and we are looking forward to meeting new ones.

I'm mr bashiru lateef oladimeji from nigerian 36 years old married with kids i have secondary school certificate aslo work as self employed base on industrial painter and paints production so I'm planning to move Portugal with my 10 years working experience i we be glad if that can possible thanks

Hi! I'm Abby. I'm an English teacher in Spain but looking at options of where to move to next. Lisbon is a high contender for me. I visited last year and thought it was a great capital city. I'm super open to giving it a go even if it's just for a year! If anyone can give me some advice or just wants a conversation that'd be great!

My wife and I are thinking about relocating our professional audiology clinic to a city in Algarve Portugal. We anticipate hiring Doctors of Audiology and a total staff around 10 employees. We are also gathering information about all the appropriate details, including the possible retention of my government pension, SSI benefits, health benefits, purchase of real estate, clinic rental etc. I need to find a mentor/friend to help us plan the process. We are planning an exploratory visit next June.

Hi All,
My wife and I along with our two young daughters, ages 4 and 2 years,  are planning on moving to the Algarve over the next 12-24 months.
Would appreciate some direction, especially concerning schooling, as to peoples experiences with the International Private schools near the "Golden Triangle" area.
TIA

Sambo48 wrote:

Hi All,
My wife and I along with our two young daughters, ages 4 and 2 years,  are planning on moving to the Algarve over the next 12-24 months.
Would appreciate some direction, especially concerning schooling, as to peoples experiences with the International Private schools near the "Golden Triangle" area.
TIA

Hi Sambo48, Welcome to this forum.   :)

Please, read this (post #2 - Algarve section)
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=902215

jkmet wrote:

My wife and I are thinking about relocating our professional audiology clinic to a city in Algarve Portugal. We anticipate hiring Doctors of Audiology and a total staff around 10 employees. We are also gathering information about all the appropriate details, including the possible retention of my government pension, SSI benefits, health benefits, purchase of real estate, clinic rental etc. I need to find a mentor/friend to help us plan the process. We are planning an exploratory visit next June.

Hi JKMet, Welcome to this forum. Please, check out if this link answers to your questions.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 43#5000144

Best regards.

Hi, my wife and I are researching the possibility of relocating to the Algarve region of Portugal. We currently live in Bend Oregon, where we own an Audiology Clinic. We intend to gather information to make comprehensive plans during the winter months, then make an exploratory trip next Fall, when the Pandemic should be a minimal risk factor. We would appreciate any guidance for the planning process (purchasing real estate, healthcare sources, SSI, setting up an Audiology business, hiring, etc. Thank you!

Hello/Olá,

After an impossibly rough 2020 here in the States, I'm strongly considering relocating to Portugal later in 2021 or 2022 (depending on the Covid-19 situation).

One of the main items to consider is income taxes, which I know in Portugal can apparently range from 14,5% on up to ~7K EU to 48% on over 80,640 EU, and I understand there is the opportunity for, "Some expats living in Portugal can take advantage of the Non-Habitual Residency (NHR) tax codes, which provide substantial exemptions for the first 10 years of residence."

Since the difference between, say, 35%, and the proposed NHR tax rate of 10% are substantial, it seems like an important point to nail down BEFORE one who isn't wealthy decides to expatriate, so I'm very curious if anyone has experience with this at all (and I know everyone's situation is different)?

Thank you/obrigado,
AC

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916058

Thanks!

Closed