New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Portugal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Portugal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Julien and thanks for the invitation...
I'm an Aussie as is my wife Silvia, although she has Spanish parentage. We recently retired and after many months of research we decided to move to Portugal on the D7 visa, which was recently approved.

Now we are in the midst of all the preparations for our new life in Portugal. We expect to arrive in Lisbon at the end of March and will need to go through all the formalities such as resident permit, tax number, bank account etc.

Then we need to work out where we might settle, so I suppose the first couple of months will be moving around to explore the options. We expect to rent rather than buy. Although we don't speak Portuguese we would like to settle in a smaller city where there is reasonable english; good access to an airport; not overrun by tourists; doesn't need to be close to beach, but has moderate weather, etc. ( I guess everyone wants that!). We're thinking about Caldas de Rainha or similar. Obviously we'd like to make contact with other expats as well.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
JOHN

Hi,

My name is Emerson and I'm from Brazil, I decided to move to Porto when received a job offer in August 2019 and arriving here in December 2019.

I love to meet new people, my main interest now is to talk in English, because of my work, if exists any group here, let me know. I'm lived in Canterbury between December 2017 and March 2018 and was an amazing experience.

I'm Software Engineer and work at PrimeIT, if you are a coworker, please tell me, let's talk. For now, only I'm here, my wife and our cat will arriving in February.

Now I'm doing the government documents necessary to live and work here and spend time looking for a place to buy or rent. This is the most hard I have because I don't have a lot of money for a security deposit, they usually asking about 3 or four months in advance.  For now, I living in Airbnb rooms until finding someplace.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your introduction. We hope that you will benefit from the forum  :)

Should you need any info, feel free to participate on the Portugal forum.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Hi, my wife and I and our recently born daughter Tara are seeking some kind of a housekeeping position in Portugal as a starter. Our ultimate goal is to set up a bed & breakfast, but meanwhile, until we found the appropriate house and the sale of our house in Belgium we gladly offer our housekeeping services in Portugal

Love & Light,

Paul & Natasha

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi
My wife and I are looking at moving to central Portugal with the next step being to come over for a few months to locate a property. We are lucky as we have sold our property’s in the uk and are looking for a different lifestyle as we have both retired. Getting plenty of information off this site and the internet.

I am retired from the USA and I want to retire in Portugal.  I would like to make a friend or two who I can potentially share expenses while living there!  I am in my late 60’s.

Hello! My name is Barbara and my husband and I have been watching the crap out of YouTube videos and reading about living in Portugal. We have our first visit coming up soon so I am here to soak up whatever I can learn!

Hi,
Just moved here from Dubai, UAE, where I was an expat for 22 years. Living in Lisbon at the moment.

bonjour,

je suis installée depuis 2 ans dans la région de Caldas et pas de regret, il y a tout dans cette petite ville peu envahie par le tourisme et les villages environnants sont sympa, il y a d'ailleurs beaucoup d'expat' à la  cherche du calme et la mer n'est pas loin,pas de problème non plus pour aller à Lisbonne,2 lignes de bus vous y conduisent en 1h pour un prix dérisoire et le dimanche matin bien sûr le marché de Santana immense où l'on trouve de tout sans oublier les petits restos pas chers si vous évitez les lieux touristiques, de tous les goûts et tous les prix.
Bref, on est bien à Caldas.
Amicalement

My wife and I relocated to Portugal from the San Francisco area in October 2019.  We would be happy to discuss our experience.  You can contact me at ***.

Moderated by Loïc 2 weeks ago
Reason : for security reasons, we do not accept personal information on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi my name is Carol- originally from UK but have been here in Germany for the last 30 years. My German husband and I  have our house etc in Olhao, Algarve already and plan to make our move permanent at the end of this year. Can`t wait for my next trip next week!

Moderated by Priscilla last week
Reason : please post in english only on this english speaking forum

How has your experience been? We will be coming in another year with 3 toddlers

Hi! My name is Clark, my girlfriend is Karen. So far, this forum has been very productive and seemingly very valuable. We will be in Portugal in early May after she and I complete  the Camino de Santiago hike from France. We are looking forward to our visit and hopefully finding a nice spot to retire and live.  If anyone would like to reach out and/or contact us I believe the site required that I provide my linkedIn web site address. I/we would be very happy to talk to anyone who has made the move, regardless of where you made it from.

Hi, thank you for the introduction. My name is Irene, im married with three children. My husband is an IT consultant looking for work there. We are hoping to move to Portugal but are split between Lisbon or the Algarve?
We have heard that the higher paying jobs are in Lisbon but we love the lifestyle of the Algarve. We are also looking for advice on english speaking schools primary and secondary.
Many thanks