New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Portugal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Portugal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello all,

My wife and I are both Portuguese lawyers currently living in Switzerland and preparing to relocate back to Lisbon in 2021. We're looking forward to learning with all of you!
Stay well and safe and happy new year!
Gui

German by birth I spent more than half of my life in the US in executive roles in the automotive industry. Then the past 5 years in Belize. Relocated to Germany in late Dec. 2020 and despise the cold. Considering to relocate to Portugal soon.

Thankful for all support I can get - and willing to give (in line with my expertise).

Hi Peter,

I also worked in the automotive industry some years ago. Now I am able to help you in case you choose Lisbon to live. I am able to help you about Lisbon housing andabout your way around.
Kind regards,
Lúcia

BelizePeter wrote:

German by birth I spent more than half of my life in the US in executive roles in the automotive industry. Then the past 5 years in Belize. Relocated to Germany in late Dec. 2020 and despise the cold. Considering to relocate to Portugal soon.

Thankful for all support I can get - and willing to give (in line with my expertise).

Hi Peter, Welcome :)

Automobile industry Cluster in Portugal:

https://www.mobinov.pt/index.php/en/cluster-auto

- Car Manufacturers
- Component Manufacturers & Service Providers
- Qualification / Training and I & D
(...)
In the menu options of that link, you can find projects, statistics, contacts, ...
If you have further questions, please say.

Best regards

My wife and me are Belgians. We traveled for my work in the cement industry during 13 years and lived in Australia, Canada and USA. I finished my career at the Executive Committee of Holcim Ltd in Zurich. After I retired, we lived in London and Spain before falling in love with Portugal where we are installed since 2017.

Hi Patrick, Welcome :)

You can always use the advanced search here to get useful informations about Portugal:
https://www.expat.com/en/search/europe/portugal/

If you have further questions, please say.

Best regards

Hi! 

I live in NYC. We first visited Portugal a few years ago and loved it.  A friend who is married to a Portuguese man just moved back to Portugal--the Algave-- which made us think that having a place in Portugal and working towards the Golden Visa and ultimately residency/citizenship would be great. 

So now we are looking for places to buy that are not too touristy but , since we are from NYC, also have enough year round energy that off season visits are too too quiet either (though we like country living as well). I also have work that if it works out, may bring me to Portugal several times in the next few years.

Courtney

Hi Courtney, Welcome :)

You can do your own research on this forum. If you have any questions that any of the members know and would like to share, please let us know .

Best regards

Hi guys

Just wanted to say hi, I live in the US - CA but working on moving to Portugal in a year or two   :heart:

Hello
Welcome to the forum, I am new too having moved here in November so it will be helpful to me to see your questions and answers
I have already developed some new useful contacts and one of my best friends is Portuguese and very helpful so stay in touch
Steve

Hello - Bom Dia. We moved to Portugal in October 2019 from San Francisco, Ca.  A great place to live - safe, less stress in life, great people and housing costs are cheaper than CA. Good medical and dental and costs are reasonable.  No language problem and  many Portuguese speak English.  Good luck.  You would enjoy Portugal.

i am looking for jobs since last year guys
experienced in restaurante and call center basically
but now i can take anything to do
hope to get it
cheers

Really?

Hello!

I'm a Brit who moved to Portugal 20 years ago, here to give any tips I can 😁

hello you moved 20 years ago
wow thats a lot
hope you~are doing your best
c ya

My husband and I are retired, living on the London/Kent borders of England.  We fell in love with Portugal and the Portuguese a while ago and hope to make it our home.  Covid allowing, we plan spending September looking at land, talking to house-builders and lawyers.  All going well, we will buy land, sign a contract with builders, return to England to sell up.

We will require an 8 month, long-term rental villa with private pool - close to Lagoa de Óbidos, Portugal. September to end April.  We also look forward to making many new friends.  I need more sunshine in my life!

It would be excellent if Belize Peter could let us know why he decided to leave Belize. We have been thinking about moving there. I would be very curious to get more information.

We are highly "hybrid" family, with native Mongolian and Russian language parents with 2 boys born in Finland;). Hoping to live in Portugal from late 2021.
Short intro:
In the past 15 years, I/we (since 2009) lived and worked in Denmark, Switzerland, England and Finland (on and off 10years). We loved our life in Madeira for 8 months in 2018, inspiration for our next move. ;)

In late 2021, we are planning to move to Portugal and live there. We have 2 kids, 8 and 2 years old. We love to get to know families with kids both local and international. Will check topics about school in the forum.

We love nature, try to protect mother earth by eating plant-based food etc.

I would love to create my Slow Yoga business in Cascais and Sintra area.
Ps. We like warm-hearted Portuguese people. Would love to make lots of new friends and explore the beautiful country with limitless sunshine 🔆.

Hello Julien,

Thanks for offering your help.

I am planning to visit Portugal and set up a company under the Golden Visa category.

Do you have any recommendations, especially the solicitors, that could help me make this a smooth process?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks!
Ravi.

Hello Courtney,

Any recommendations on the solicitors that you have found good for the Golden Visa application process?

Thanks,
Ravi.

Hello!

I'm Anna, I'm a new member! I hope to be able to help expats like me to find job opportunities in Portugal and all over Europe!

Hi Jobrider,  Welcome :)

There is also a French version of the forum here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4384

You can search for topics using the lens on the top right corner.

Best regards

Je m'appelle Didier ( 59 ans) et mon épouse Dominique, c'est nous !

Bonjour, d'ici peu (en réalité lorsque nous pourrons quitter la Belgique...mesure covid)... nous prendrons  un allé simple à Lagos (luz) où nous avons un appartement.
Je ne parle que très peu le portugais (mais j'apprends) et Nada en anglais.
Rencontrer différentes personnes qui parle français dans la région, bien sûr cela serait sympa et en plus cela nous permettrait de profiter de l'expérience et conseils bien utile  lorsque l'on s'installe.
Alors merci à  tout ceux qui nous permettrons de faire connaissance.

Bonjour Didier, vous devez utiliser le forum en français. Vous trouverez facilement une communauté francophone en Algarve.  :top:

You should use the French forum. You will easily find a French speaking community in the Algarve:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4384

Hi guys
I live in Portugal . I am looking for job from December 2020 . I have any job . I have experience to work in agriculture field and also experience to work in store/supermarkets as a cashier on front . Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'm a young woman from Mexico and I plan on moving to Portugal.
I wish to live and work there, and I already have a place to stay. I cannot find concise step-by-step guides on the web, so I was hoping to find someone who can guide me through all the requirements for a long-term stay in the country and subsequent residence permit. Can I travel to the country as a tourist and then search for a job? Or do I absolutely need a specific visa beforehand?

Thanks

Hi Gumaro,

It is not allowed to work in Portugal with a tourist visa.
The tourist visa is valid for 90 days (short stay). You may have to prove to SEF that you are travelling to Portugal for this purpose only, and this can be justified by the documentation required to entry in Portugal, such as a return ticket to your country, hotel reservations & planned tours & enough money to stay in Portugal.

I think you have the information you are looking for in the following links (A & B).

A. ENTRY IN PORTUGAL

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/entrada-em-portugal/

In this link you will find the answer to:

A1. For the entry into portuguese territory, foreign nationals need to comply with the following conditions (...)

For Short Stays, nationals of the following third countries are visa-free (...) . Eg. Mexico

A2. Applying for a visa (short stay visa/temporary stay visa/residence permit)

Residence permits, for temporary stay or short stay, to third country nationals are issued on the following general conditions only (...)

The application for a visa shall be submitted in the consular post in the usual country of residence or in the consular jurisdiction area of the State of residence:

Portuguese Consulates in Mexico:
https://portaldascomunidades.mne.gov.pt … ica/mexico

FAQs:
https://imigrante.sef.pt/wp-content/upl … ras_EN.pdf

(...)

B. APPLYING FOR RESIDENCE IN PORTUGAL
https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/

If you have any further questions, please let us know :)
Kind regards

Olá

My name is Ana. I used to live in London, England, and have returned to Porto in 2008. Still, I miss the expat experience.

I had to reinvent myself in the 2011's crisis and am now a real-estate agent.

Cheers

Ana

Hi Ana

How are you? Please can you send me a link to the houses that you have for sale.

Kind regards.

Buds

Hi Lisa Victoria
My wife and I will be moving to Portugal next month. Where are you based?
Buds

Sure, will send you a private message.

Hi Ana. Welcome to this wonderful group. Could you please send me your real estate listings/ website. Thank you!

Hi Mia, sure, I will send you a private message. But note that I work in Porto. I can see in your profile that you are in Caldas da Rainha.

Hello all— my husband and I bought an apartment in Lisbon and plan to move there from New York City in the next year — we are mid sixties and, honestly, four years of Donald Trump and the direction this country is going brought us to this decision. We love Portugal and our daughter lives in the U.K. so we would be closer. However, the experience of COVID has been a traumatic and difficult one and I am still working through that. I would be so grateful for the kindness of fellow expats in answering questions I have and giving me a sense of connection to a wonderful place. I have been shaken by the world over the last year. Thanks and kudos to all you brave folks on a great journey. My name is Michele.

Hi Michele, Welcome to the forum :)

You can search for the topics you need using keywords in the lens of the top right corner of this screen, or create new topics.

Kind Regards

Hi all members
My name is Eva and come from Malta
I would be very happy to meet other people of the same nationality as I'm thinking about moving over to Portugal, maybe someone can guide me better
I would like to have your opinion regarding buying a house,agents lawyer etc etc
Thanks all please get in touch
Nice day all xx

Hello to all! I am a Venezuelan born French citizen currently living in Paris. I am about to acquire a house in Madeira and I plan on renting it on Air bnb. I need to do a lot of remodeling since it is an old house. In a couple of years I would like to move definitely there and live from the house rentals. Does anyone here live in Madeira? I am traveling there next week and I plan on staying at least 3 weeks. Any helpful hints on house rentals (for the house owner) and life in Madeira in general would be welcome. Obrigada!

Hi may I ask you how did you manage to find a flight please as for me its saying borders are closed atm
Thank you

Hi! I had no problem booking a flight from Paris to Funchal. I didn't  find any direct flights though, I have to stop in Porto but it's ok, only adds one hour and a half. I booked with Transavia. Where are you coming from? Portuguese borders are not closed at all. Only PCR test is mandatory 72 hours max before arrival or free PCR at Funchal airport upon arrival.

Closed