Noise Ordnance

Hola.. I have searched for references to law but cannot find. My neighbor is telling me that 10pm is the legal time that police can be called to report music or party noise you think is too loud.

Does anyone know the real law? 10pm seems very early to me, for the weekend, especially in Latin America, but I want to be responsible.

We will be having company this coming week. 6 adults. And while we are not planning any wild fiestas, I feel certain we won't be quiet as church mice either.

These seems like it would be a local ordinance per each town. Not sure it's even enforceable on the weekend in most communities.

It's a Nacional law.  10 pm in residencial areas is correct. I believe the limit is 50 db at that time

And good luck with calling during the holidays.  They won't do anything then.

The law in this regard (ley 287-04) was modified last year (ley 90-19) and defines the types of noise that has to be limited. And the application is by the ministry of the environment and local councils with police (ley 64-00 art. 114)

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … -sanciones

I don't believe there is a specific time but for sure in Santo Domingo in the past few years we don't have noisy parties, colmados or events at the local club extending beyond about 10 pm at night even at weekends and people tend to cut back on noise as the evening progresses. Check your local council ordinance.

Noisy colmados late a night are beginning to be a thing of the past. People are much more aware and do complain of excessive noise and the authorities do come out and take action. Plenty of bars and colmados have had their music systems confiscated and destroyed as a result and that applies to vehicles with sound systems too.

I am sure it hasn't extended to all parts of the country yet.

For your own peace of mind in a residential development we are talking about excessive noise levels continuing for long periods. Always best to advise the neighbours in this case.

Incidentally, it has been made known that even with no limits on opening hours for places selling alcoholic drinks during the festive period, noise limitation and the enforcement thereof continues in accordance with the law. So you can drink your nuts off to your hearts content quietly.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2019/12/05/no-restriction-to-modify-scheduled-sales-of-alcoholic-beverages-for-christmas-holidays/

The ministry said it will increase vigilance in all businesses selling alcoholic beverages, in order to prevent and avoid actions that threaten the safety of citizens and public order, “in the same way will maintain control of noise levels and sounds that are harmful to the environment and citizens, as established by Law 64-00, Art. 114 ».

Planner... We would be the perpetrators not the complainers. 😂😂 I guess at 10 we come in, shut the windows, and turn on the AC!

You know if you talk to your neighbors and just be respectful later you should have no issue. 

The noise law is Nacional! And it's 10 pm. I printed out the law and had it in my apartment last Christmas.

If the law knocks on your door invite them to join the party, shouldn't be any issues after that...

The killjoy says it is 9pm! Lolol