Income tax freelancer

Hello all,
I'm living in The Netherlands and am a freelancer (zzp'er).
I'm planning to move to Portugal and to stay registered in The Netherlands as a freelancer.
All the income will be coming from Dutch clients and I will have a rented office here.
So the Dutch Chamber of Commerce confirmed that I will not lose my registration.
Now my question is if I will be able to continue paying my income tax in The Netherlands. I prefer that actually, because of the different tax reliefs for self-employers.
Any experience in the topic?
Thanks in advance for sharing.
Regards

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Where you are assessed for personal taxes will depend entirely on where you are deemed as being resident for the greater part of the year; so if you live in Portugal for more than 6 months, that is where you will be assessed for taxes.  However, there is a double taxation agreement in place between the 2 countries; you can download a PDF copy from this link.  These agreements basically make sure that you are not charged twice for the same money, however, their may be advantages in how you situate yourself and your business.

In view of this, an internet forum is probably not the best place to get reliable information.  My advice would be to speak to a tax consultant to make sure that you make the best use of any exemptions that apply to your specific case.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Yes, obviously it will be a little more complicated than I thought.
I should contact a professional indeed, but I thought I try the cheaper way first :)
Thanks and regards