Does anyone have experiences to share about living on a ship

This is a new look at an old topic that might still be of interest.
If you live on a ship what have been your costs to do so.

How do you get back and forth to land?

What regulations have you encountered?

How do you meet others?

What risks have you dealt with?

Inquiring potential sea travelers would like to know.

I have traveled around the Pacific and the world on a 33 metre yacht, spending extended times at sea.

When arriving at a port we would  run up the Q flag and try to contact the port authorities by marine radio as to where we can anchor for customs check.

To get to land it was a row across the harbor in a dinghy.

Meeting others depended on whether there was other international yachts in the area but enjoyed contact with locals.

Risks were the chance of being boarded by bandits as we traveled in out of the way places. Injuries could be a problem so one must have a good medical kit on board and be prepared to use it. Being in a force 10 storm for 3 days off the coast of South Africa  with the wheel lashed down and a storm jib up.

Being hit by a rogue wave off the east coast of Australia and the yacht rolling over to 120 degrees with the 3 masts under water.

Would do it all again.

You might want to reword your title.  I think you mean living on a boat or yacht.  A ship is like a freighter and nobody lives on those unless you're working on it.  Well, there are people that live on cruise ships but they have money to burn.  Costs a fortune if you're not in an inside cabin living like a cafe dweller. 

Do you have sailing skills? If not, not many people will want you on board!  You might want to mention your sailing experience.  If you don't have sailing experience but want to learn just volunteer as crew for day trips doing odd jobs to get an idea of what it would be like.  If you're multilingual it will help as well as tourists don't want to struggle with Spanish if they don't have to.  You could be their translator all day and that would be very valuable to many tour operators.

Norman Z wrote:

You might want to reword your title.  I think you mean living on a boat or yacht.  A ship is like a freighter and nobody lives on those unless you're working on it.  Well, there are people that live on cruise ships but they have money to burn.  Costs a fortune if you're not in an inside cabin living like a cafe dweller. 

Do you have sailing skills? If not, not many people will want you on board!  You might want to mention your sailing experience.  If you don't have sailing experience but want to learn just volunteer as crew for day trips doing odd jobs to get an idea of what it would be like.  If you're multilingual it will help as well as tourists don't want to struggle with Spanish if they don't have to.  You could be their translator all day and that would be very valuable to many tour operators.

"A ship is any vessel or conveyance that floats on or operates on the water and is equal to or larger than 197 feet (60 meters) length overall (LOA). A ship may be used for pleasure, commercial, or residential purposes."

In order to separate boat which in some people's head becomes rowboat. I said ship for residential purposes

A sailboat is another thing again. In other words, a boat can be many things including a toy.
I am reframing a very old post to see if it's still relevant. I do not want to be a crew member. I have been on ships and boats. Had a friend who owned a dry dock and lived on vessel after vessel restoring them.  I had no desire to live on a tugboat and restore it, sell it and move on to other vessels so our friendship ended.
You obviously have experience, so without getting bogged down with Semantics tell us how living on a boat or ship or just vessel is.

because that is the question.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/pe … 106265900/

The above website states that avg daily cost for a cruise ship is $100/day. But, bar bill, gambling, and extras can add up quickly.

Going ashore, if not docked, via shuttle craft provided by cruise line.

Must have passport with at least six months eligibility. This is requirement to enter many countries. Although there may be an exemption concerning expiration date for cruise line passengers.

Meeting people would be the same as  congregating at a variety of events.  Meals are an excellent way.

Shore excursions at passenger expense, booked by cruise line. I have read that savvy passengers familiar with the locale can get cheaper rates off ship.  If you can avoid it do not buy items from  venues close to the docks. I have seen a $50 difference for a dress selling adjacent to the docks as opposed to five blocks further into town in a store frequented by locals. (St Martin)

Visa requirements check with cruise line.

Ashore, travel in groups. There probably will not be much shore time. Most ships depart at night so as to be at next destination by daybreak the next morning.

A good understanding of the shipping forecast is good to know. The BBC World Service use to broadcast it, not sure if they still do.

This is either a troll or a joke. By your own definition of "ship" 197 plus feet. Any one living on such a "ship" can afford lawyers to do their paper work. A "ship that size would have multiple tenders to get ashore. A "ship" that size would have a limited list of port of calls available to them. Now if you are talking about being a crew on such a "ship" then it is the captains responsibility to do the paper work required to be legal in any countries he visits. But if this question is legitimate. You need to clear in at a port of call, Boat registry, proof of insurance (in most marinas) valid passport or visa depending of your country's nationality, you need to clear customs, port captain, health board and most likely a boat inspection. In Mexico you can get a 10 years import permit, but the persons on board most likely will get a 180 days tourist visa and after the 180 days need to vacate the country for a minimum of 72 hours (3 days)before returning.