2800 euros? Are we in dream land?

Hello All,

Are we living in dream land. Is it possible for an American Family (2 children ages 6 & 3) to live in Lanqeudoc area.
My husband can work in France for 2 years.:cool:

Our desire is not to have a car and use public transportation, be able to walk to cafes, eateries, public parks and events safe for children, an hour or less from the sea. Have a constant relaible internet connection. Be in an area tolerant of people still learning the language and to do it all on less than 2800 euros a month.

Are we crazy? Any advice would be so appreciated!:)

Jennifer

Hi,
it seems possible:D
But you should know that while Languedoc is offering all this,it is one of the more expensive regions...The jobmarket is also very strained.It depens on what kind of job your husband is looking for.
Also,public transportation from villages isn't allways well developped.Around Montpellier,where I live,the less expensive villages (for housing,that is)often have only 3-4 busdepartures a day.Montpellier (and it's surrondings) is rather expensive,but maybe more open to foreigners than smaller places.

Hi,

I agree with talatta's answer.
If you don't want to have a car, I recommend you to live in Montpellier or in its inner suburbs because public transports are currently developping a lot with new lines of tramways. But Montpellier is a city which is developping quickly and which becomes more and more expensive to live in. So, with 2800 Euros, it could be possible but it's only just enough.

Beyond that, Languedoc is beautiful region with a good weather and with many things to see and to do. It's a really pleasant area to live.

Crazy question to ask on this Lanquedoc specific site. But I wonder if Toulouse would be more affordable?

#2...what are some of the inner suburbs of Montpellier that you would suggest.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, 2800€/month for a living seems ok for a family.
To have a better idea, you should check the house/appartment rental prices. As this will be you highest expense in the month.

Usually this represent 1/3 of the salary. You can also give personnal English course to make more money. The kids will be at school the whole day (from 8:30 to 16:30 i think) anyway so you will have to look for an activity for yourself if you don't want to feel like a prisonner at home ;)

Also ask what is the average local tax (impots locaux) you will have to pay. This can be high in some places.

2800€/month is ok but for a simple living for a family. You will have to ask for helps for the monthly rental (called APL).

Your husband should ask the HR of his company to help for these questions.

Good luck :)

Thank you to Talatta and Luxiolita for responding. My husband is employeed, so we do not need a job. I dont think we will need health benefits right away either.

Can either of you recommend some suburbs near to Montpellier where we could begin our search?

Thank you..

Hi Jennifer,

You're not crazy, I'm a single mom with a small income and made it work too! I'm from California with 2 girls and I've chosen a lifestyle/place that is similar to what you're looking for. Let me know if you want to chat.

Beth
[email protected]

Hello! I live 20 km from Perpignan, near the seaside. It is wonderful place to live about nature and weather. You can rent apartment here for starting with 600 euro per month. In reply to your post I must tell you that living in this area without a car can be really boring. There is few bus lines here in the area, though they pass one time in about two hours starting from 8 in the morning, the last one in many directions comes at 5 o'clock in the afternoon, not always following the timetable. Villages are within 2-6 km from each other. There are two resorts more active during the season (2-3 summer months) - Argeles-sur-mer and more beautiful Colluire. During season the roads are full of cars because of tourists. Crouded everywhere. After the season is over, it gets empty and quiet everywhere, but most of cafes are closed, there is one park in one village, another farm in another, and a lot of small things to see and visit in every little village, but without your own car you will never arrange yourself to visit them. If you have other questions, fee free to ask.

Best regards!

Angelica