house rental deal???

Hello... Dean from Washington State... currently on my 4th and longest trip to see my girlfriend here in Dasmariñas, Cavite.  I have fallen in love with the family culture here.  The rest is a choice... bathrooms, facilities, food, services... nearly everything is very, very different, and at times chaotic, but I love it all.  I have enjoyed reading all of these posts, and find many suggestions very helpful, and very true. 
Definitely do not show your money, or the family will for sure start to treat you like a bank. No good.  I give my girlfriend a monthly set allowance (10,000p) and I have seen that the family, and also her friends now think she is rich, and it is hard on her.  She is almost expected to pay for things now, and she struggles with it.   I almost regret giving her anything. 
  I have been looking now for a house to rent, but the family are telling me better to give 300,000p to this homeowner a couple miles away from the family home. They say I can live there for 2 years for free, then at the end of year 2 the home owner will give me the money back.  If he does not give the money back, then I keep the house???   The only problem with this, is that I cannot own a house or land.  So if the house owner does not give the money back, I am guessing the house would go to the family... does anyone have experience in this type of house rental deal???

Just keep looking for your own place forget deal. If they cant find 300k now  what's gonna change in 2 years? Besides the house may not be anything you like and your then stuck with it.

That's what I was thinking... I have already arranged to meet and see a couple "normal" rentals.  Thanks.   Is it proper here to negotiate on a rental house?  If they are asking for 15k, 1 month advance. 2 months deposit.  Not sure with that .. first time renting a home.

I would think so most things are negotiable.  But of course you and I will pay more :) . Get a rental agreement if possible so you know where you stand. I have a sister in law in Habay Bacoor not far from SM. So I'm not totally unfamiliar with the area.

Yes... I am getting used to the "foreigner price" ... haha... we try to seperate at times, and I wall around, and she shops for us in markets so we save money!  I plan to offer same rate of 15k, but only 1 month deposit, and 2 months advance.  I have read a few times that the deposits here are usually not given back.  Yes, I will ask for a 1 year written agreement also... Thank much!

Wellsfry :

I have been looking now for a house to rent, but the family are telling me better to give 300,000p to this homeowner a couple miles away from the family home. They say I can live there for 2 years for free, then at the end of year 2 the home owner will give me the money back.  If he does not give the money back, then I keep the house???   The only problem with this, is that I cannot own a house or land.  So if the house owner does not give the money back, I am guessing the house would go to the family... does anyone have experience in this type of house rental deal???

Sounds like nothing more than a scam. Look at the house and if you like it, offer to buy if for 300k pesos, chances are they'll be no takers,  Is the land clearly titled only to the one who claims to be the owner? 

The deal works out to 12,500 pesos per month, if you like it, offer them that amount per month and tell them they can just keep it instead of you financing whatever it is they need 300k for.

You also mention that her family is pressuring her to pay for things, are you sure you want to start your new life with your lady just down the street from them?  I would strongly suggest you look a little further away, put some distance between them and you. They can still visit if they are so inclined and so can you. Though at the same time you can have some time to get to know each other and develop your relationship without family interference and constantly visiting family and friends who will no doubt be hinting around for a "loan" or two.  If they are already pressuring her, it will only get worse when the wallet is living there to.

When and if you do find a place to rent, check it out on the weekends when everyone is home and not working or in school and you will get a better feel for the neighbors and the neighborhood and whether you will like living there.
Meet ONLY with the actual owner when discussing the rental and what is or is not included. Find out if the landlord will pay for any repairs, chances are you will be the one paying to fix things.
Find out if you have your own electric and water meter. If they are shared with other buildings or tenants, then you may wind up paying for others bills as well as yours.

Take pictures of the place and note everything that is right and wrong about the place, so you'll not be nailed for repairs when and if you move on.

Helping family:
My wife's immediate family asks us for nothing, though we have contributed to genuine medical emergencies,  education assistance and monthly we voluntarily send money to her older sister.  So I am not saying to push them away, just push them away from your wallet.  You'll find out soon enough which ones are interested in your happiness as a couple and which ones only see you as an opportunity.

Lastly, in the Philippines the word loan means give for the most part. So loan carefully and cautiously and do it only if you don't expect to get it back. If you do get it back, then it will be a pleasant surprise and not a disappointment.

Regards

Hi Wellsfry,

I created a new topic as from your post on the Philippines forum for a better visibility.

Good luck,
Christine

I agree with TeeJay, he gave you good advice.

Why would anyone let you live rent free for a 300K upfront deposit to be returned after 2 years? Sounds pretty suspect to me.

You’ll neither live there free nor be a homeowner at the end of 2 years.

A good rule of thumb here is to live an island away from family. That way you won’t constantly have family dropping by unannounced and staying on your dime.

I apply the same rules to visitors that are applied to me as a foreigner.
A definitive length of stay and an onward ticket either back home or elsewhere. Haha.

Of course there are families here that are genuine and in good shape financially that don’t want or need anyone else’s help but, there are a whole lot more, that don’t fit that category.

Like anywhere else in the world, if something sounds suspect, it most likely is.

Firstly welcome to the forum Wellsfry, hope you enjoy and contribute.

Great input from TeeJay and Tim_L, wise words to be taken onboard no matter the country or persuasions.
Firstly a very generous allowance given average working Filipinos clear that much money every month, maybe up to 14K while working/holding a full time job 40 plus hours a week, no wonder the jealousy and perhaps she should tell little to all. Oops too late. The trap has already been set, good luck there.

Rentals are best sourced with boots on the ground and from experience initial price can/will be lowered by 20 to 25% including an extra A/C unit installed if you negotiate and pay a year up front, cash is king.

Honestly if you have a partner in tow from this country, read and read well, google my best friend has opened my eyes, input from sites such as this offers twists and long learned contributors offer experience/s from their prospective both good and bad, at the end of the day we are all guilty or no for the decisions we make and ultimately live with.

Do your research well and then do it thrice.

BTW OMO. (counts for little here in PH. apparently as we all tend to find greater and smaller issues).

Cheers, Steve.

What you are doing is making the person a loan with the house as collateral. It involves a contract. Unless it's a condo I would put the loan in my wife's name.

Be smart! Walk away from this whole thing! Eventually this family will have you penneyless!

Scam...