Totally new to Rosarito

¡Hola, Amigos!

I am currently living in Ajijic, Mexico, and have adapted (or am adapting) to the idiosyncrasies of living in Mexico.  I haven't completed my explorations yet, though, and am intrigued by the idea of living on the Northern Baja, Rosarito in particular. 

In full honesty, I haven't heard great things about living there...at least, as compared to places like Lake Chapala ( Ajijc),  San Miguel and other places.  BUT I know these opinions are biased and I want to form my own opinion...because I love the idea of being relatively close to the States while living a Mexico lifestyle...and being on the ocean.

Is there someone who might be willing to talk with me, as honestly as possible, about life there?  And, I would like to visit, possibly as soon as this winter.  I know housing availability may be limited in high season and on short notice but, as I search, I realize that I know nothing of the area and the surrounding areas to guide me in picking a good, safe place to stay so I can get the flavor of  living in Rosarito.  I would have a car (which I don't have here) and I'm looking at staying for at least a month.

I don't know the rules about exchanging personal email/phone info so let's keep it here unless I hear it's OK to do that.

Thank you all for any input you may offer.

Sue

P.S.  I'd be happy to share some of what I've heard if that will help in providing information.

srsugar wrote:

¡Hola, Amigos!

I am currently living in Ajijic, Mexico, and have adapted (or am adapting) to the idiosyncrasies of living in Mexico.  I haven't completed my explorations yet, though, and am intrigued by the idea of living on the Northern Baja, Rosarito in particular. 

In full honesty, I haven't heard great things about living there...at least, as compared to places like Lake Chapala ( Ajijc),  San Miguel and other places.  BUT I know these opinions are biased and I want to form my own opinion...because I love the idea of being relatively close to the States while living a Mexico lifestyle...and being on the ocean.

Is there someone who might be willing to talk with me, as honestly as possible, about life there?  And, I would like to visit, possibly as soon as this winter.  I know housing availability may be limited in high season and on short notice but, as I search, I realize that I know nothing of the area and the surrounding areas to guide me in picking a good, safe place to stay so I can get the flavor of  living in Rosarito.  I would have a car (which I don't have here) and I'm looking at staying for at least a month.

I don't know the rules about exchanging personal email/phone info so let's keep it here unless I hear it's OK to do that.

Thank you all for any input you may offer.

Sue

P.S.  I'd be happy to share some of what I've heard if that will help in providing information.

So I talked to my friend whose brother lives there. He said that if you live in a private area it should be fine. 30% or more of the people living there are tourists or expats. Yes, there are cartels and guns at the border and problems with the border the closer you get to T.J.

When I have gone there I found it expensive, based on the dollar more than the peso, and having traffic problems.  I had to tell taxi drivers and vendors that I was not a tourist and I wasn't paying that price many times.
Healthwise there are many fairly good hospitals and clinics. My friend said in some cases you might be able to pay rent as low as 4-500 USD. His family shops for fruit and veggies in Mexico and crosses the border for bigger ticket items.  I make sure my iodine levels are good to avoid the Fukashima legacy on the west coast.

My friend says it is tranquil there. I found it hectic but I am a major fan of Tranquilo. My friend knows the area very well because he has lived there and has a family there. Why isn't he living there? more or less for the same reason, I don't live there;).  It was okay growing up there but he doesn't want to stay there.

Thanks for your feedback.  Putting aside perceived dangers...one thing I've heard is that there is not a lot to do among the retired expats...that a large part of the social scene is drinking (which I don't do).  Any feedback on how the expats connect and do fun or engaging  things?
And this is for anyone to respond to.

srsugar wrote:

Thanks for your feedback.  Putting aside perceived dangers...one thing I've heard is that there is not a lot to do among the retired expats...that a large part of the social scene is drinking (which I don't do).  Any feedback on how the expats connect and do fun or engaging  things?
And this is for anyone to respond to.

If people drink it's because they like to drink. It's not out of boredom it's because that's what they want.
With that said there is probably as much to do around Rosarito as anywhere else.
There are several golf courses in the area, there is horse riding, the beach, there are cultural events, the mountains are not far and you are only 30 minutes away from San Diego and all it has to offer.
Whatever it is you have an interest in. You will find it.
Good luck

I have only visited Rosarito once my impression is that it is "party town" the young uns come down from Cali to party esp Spring break.   I am currently looking a bit further south Ensenada/Punta Banda area hoping to move down in the spring 2020.
If you are on Facebook there are some excellent groups with a wealth of information one is Talk Baja I am sure there is a group that focuses specifically on Rosarito on Facebook.
There is a FB group that was started by a couple who moved from Ajijic to Punta Banda can't recall the name of the group do a search on FB for Punta Banda and see what comes up.

Most recently they have been dealing with a California like major fire which went from San Diego on down to T.J. and yes, Rosarito so you might want to delay any visits for a few months at least.

Ladies, I also am considering the area for retirement and am from San Diego.  Know it well and could be a good source of info.  Traveling in Europe at the moment, but would love to participate in your research.