Lincoln school Buenos Aires

We are considering a move to BA from NJ. We have 2 children ages 8 and 9 and, the Lincoln school has been recommended to us. The corporate housing is in Puerto Madero. Is this insane to drive back and forth? we welcome any and all suggestions.

Hi and welcome to the forum skialta!

Your message has been moved to the Buenos Aires forum for better visibility!

Regards
Armand

It would be better to stay in San Isidro between Olivos to Accasuso
or along Libertador which would take 5-15 minutes drive to school. Your children could be exhausted from travelling back and forth during peak hour between 7-8a.m. in morning and 5-7p.m. Because school bus pick up from downtown in the morning is around 6.15-6.30 a.m. and drop off around 5,30 p.m.

choumpon.C,

Gracias!...that leaves me with a dilema as my potential housing is in Puerto Madero. If one does not take the bus, how long is the comute? I'm sure the bus makes many stops, of course I'll check with the school for actual details but, I wonder what is the actual drive time with traffic.

I used to stay in La canitas on Libertador the school bus picked up my two children around 6.30  a,m,and drop off around 5 p.m. That is why I moved t=near school 10 minute walking distance.

Driving yrself from where u staying to Lincoln school with no heavy traffic could take 30-45 minute, but during peak hour I am not sure never.

Hey is there much turnover with the teachers there? I heard it is a good school to work at and I have 12 years experience. Not too eager to go back to Toronto yet. I know the year here starts in Feb. but you never know.

It would be completely insane to subject your children to the distance and risk of commuting to the Lincoln School from Puerto Madero.

That seems to be the general concensus...if the kids do attend Lincoln School, do not live in Puerto Madero as the travel time is horrible, even compared to NYC traffic. I have been on tons of realtor sites and non seem to be very good. I would appreciate a realtor name...are furnished appt/homes easier than unfurnished?

To me a consensus does not matter, particularly when it comes to travel time.  There is no way in hell I would put children that young through that kind of commute every day. Most important it is dangerous and will be scary.  The danger is not too high, but it only takes once...........

I totally agree with you...NOTHING is worth more to me than the safety, security and well being of my kids.

Your great...thanks.

Not a problem.  Personally, I love the hustle and the bustle of the trains and have no fear of them....... however, I am not 8 years old either! 

Just advise if you have any other questions.  If I cannot answer them I can typically find one within a few hours, if not sooner.

skiatla

In Argentina mostly you will easily find a complete furnished apartment just walk in with yr luggage. But for a house with surrounding area  usually unfurnished or semi-furnished.

Fortunately for me I found one directly owner-run,a complete furnished with 3 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and a swimming pool only for US$2000, 15 minute walk to school. I would ask my landlady if she has another complete furnished house and let u know

Here are few estate agents that might have what u looking for near Lincoln school.
                 reynoldpropiedades.com
                 homes.com.ar
                 remex.com.ar

or u may contacy Lincoln PTO office email :[email protected]

Choumpon.C,

Wow, that would certainly be appreciated.

How did you manage finding this owner home? I would certainly appreciate you asking them for a home. For us, it would certainly be easier on the move if the house was furnished but, either way. Proximity to the school, families in the neighborhood and such.

when you say 15 minute walk to school, is that for the Lincoln School?if not, which one?

again, thanks for your time and patience. Its a very difficult decision for my wife and I.

Hey skialta

Please call the owner of the house directly at the number I have given you. Best of Luck

You might be able to get an owner to deviate from the law, but be aware that in Argentina rentals are required to be for 2 years and 2 years only.  The only lawful deviation is for short term rentals to tourists, which are not really supposed to exceed 3 months but sometimes do... or rentals to members of embassy staffs. 

Also, at the current inflation rates you should also be aware that prices double every 3 years. 

To officially rent property you must have a guarantia, meaning you or someone you know must put up property as security of the equivalent or greater value of the property you are renting. You cn sometimes negotiate around this by paying for anywhere from 6 months to a year in advance, or some people will simply sell you a guarantia for a non refundable fee which is typically quite expensive.

If you have any specific questions post them here as it would benefit everyone to see the answers instead of doing it via private mail.