Places outside Amsterdam

I'm travelling to Amsterdam next moth for a 5 days visit as part of my 12-month plan to relocate to the Netherlands.  After Amsterdam I'd like to visit another city / town with my family for some R&R.  Anywhere that people would recommend as a good place to stay for 5 nights with two young children (4 and 9 years of age) that has some activities for them or places to visit - windmills, farms, country walks, cycling areas etc.  Not somewhere too remote - was thinking of Harlaam?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can try AirBnB, Hotels, Center Parcs (there is one in Zandvoort and one in Zeewolde), Roompot (Zandvoort aan Zee, Volendam, Callantsoog, UItdam) and maye some Bed and Breakfast you can go to.

Have you ever been in The Netherlands besides Amsterdam? Life is very different outside Amsterdam.

Hi Ramses,

I've been to a few places like Utrecht and Delft.  Thanks for the suggestions regarding the summer camps - but I was more interested din staying in a different city rather than a camp just to experience non Amsterdam Dutch life.  Thanks.

Hi again.

Holland isn't that big; you can get to most places, have a look around and back in a day.  Utrecht is in the middle, so a good place in terms of the Logistics of getting anywhere.

If you have the money, The Efteling theme park is a good place to take young kids and it has accommodation where you can base yourself; this link will take you to their website.

Center Parcs is a good idea for someplace to stay and then to travel around.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Those parks are near the places you can visit while you are staying there that's why I recommended them. Rent bikes and see your surroundings. If you want to go and see wind mills go to Kinderdijk in the weekends by car.

There are lot of things I can recommend you, but I don't know your plans. Tripadviser could be helpful just select an area and see if it attracts you.

Thanks Cynic. 

We have decided to stay for 5 nights in Haarlem.  Looks like a great place and we can explore the coast line and countryside from there.

Best wishes,

CN

Thanks Ramses.

We have decided to base ourselves in Haarlem for 5 nights.  It will give us a chance to explore the countryside and coastline.  If you can recommend any children's activities in this area then please let me know.

Best wishes,

CN

Haarlem is a beautiful city you guys will definitely love it!
Thing to do for the children:
There is a small zoo in Haarlem it only opens on saturdays and sundays for a couple of hours. It's really small and you probably will last an hour, but it's pretty cheap adults pay 2 euro p.p. and children 1,50.

Natuurspeeleiland Haarlem
Outdoors kids playground opens on wednesday and friday from 12 - 17 hours or on saturdays and sundays from 11 -17 hours. It closes on oktober 31.

De Haarlemmer Kweektuin
Biological cafe with produce frown their own garden, playground for kids, biological greenhouse, pretty park to stroll around.

Teylers Museum

Meneer Paprika
Biological bistro especially for kids, a toy shop and you can rent a traditinal Dutch Bakfiets!  :D
https://i0.wp.com/meneerpaprika.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/bakfiets.jpg?resize=500%2C430&ssl=1

Lots to do and I think it's pretty fun also. I never been to these places ,but again it looks great.

Hi Ramses

That's absolutely fantastic information - really appreciate it.  I've read a lot about Haarlem and it's all positive - but this extra detail you've given is extremely helpful.

Best wishes,

CN