Homeschooling during short term work contract.

My husband is considering a short term work contract (<8 months).  We currently homeschool due to his current job in a remote location.  Our kids do not know Dutch and I feel a short stint in a Dutch school would be a culture shock.  How hard would it be to homeschool with the local laws?  I would add a private class in Dutch and any other required courses.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Home-schooling is generally not permitted in the Netherlands, the few cases that have been permitted are when the kids could not physically attend.  If you don't send your kids to school, you can expect a visit from the Gemeente within a few weeks and you will be fined.

Probably not what you want to hear, sorry.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you for your reply.  Since it is a short contract, is there a way for the 3 of us to spend the summer there, come home for a bit in the fall and then return over the holiday?  Seems like it isn't really worth staying the entire 8 months since they would only be in school for a few of those months.

Hi again.

It will only become an issue if you register with the Gemeente; everybody has to do that within 5 days of arriving in Holland as non-tourists (that's how they will know your kids aren't at school, the system tells them).

You can enter the country as a Tourist (and not have to register) on what's called a "Schengen Visa" and stay for up to 90 days in a 180 day period.  US citizens don't need a physical visa as such, you can read about this on the Dutch Government (IND) website; this link will take you there.

So, your husband goes over there; finds somewhere to live (which will be an issue as landlords don't like short-term rentals); you follow a month later, stay up to 3 months and then go home.  Maybe try AirBnB, but that will be expensive unless his boss is picking up the tab.

You will need to have Health Insurance; if your husband is working for a Dutch company, then he will have to take out Dutch health insurance (it's the law), but you won't be covered on that policy.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team