MARRIAGE WITH AN INDONESIAN

Hello or Good evening ex-pat, I flick through the visa information on several website but I still hesitate. My intention is to marry an Indonesian with whom I correspond for a long time.
Question
I am preparing for my departure in Indonesia in the coming months and I inquired for VISA, I planned to stay there if possible for a period of about 6 months with several possible ways. considering that the Indonesian immigration service was quite complex and strict, and to tell the truth I did not find direct information, I ask advice and help people who like me want to marry it with an Indonesian.
I planned to go to Indonesia and make a VOA Visa on Arrival - visa on arrival on arrival which lasts a month then to choose another extension of 30 days, then once there to buy me a social-cultural visa by asking my spouse to be the sponsor, If I understood everything correctly then I should leave the country one day and come back so that this visa becomes Affective?
Social-cultural visas allow for up to 6 months in a 2-month period? plus an extension each month with 4 possible extensions in all And if you leave the country in the meantime it cancels the Social Budaya visa.
What is a visa runs? What's the point?
I ask myself the question if I should not take the approach directly from the Indonesian Embassy in Paris to have a visa family reunification visa keluarga but I think that to have they must already be married no?
I confess that I am totally lost on the way forward .............
I am looking for reliable and serious interlocutors who are able to help me having experienced an identical situation.
I would like to know the most attractive solution means finance for my arrival (Do I come as a tourist for less than 30 days with ticket out for Singapore, or take the steps in France with the Embassy?) And the most legal, I would also like to know how on the spot do to marry me the necessary modalities (documents) in order to legalize this union with the services Indonesian and French.

I am looking for any interesting information not serious abstain thank you.

Any two people of opposite sex can legally marry as long as they or of the same religion.
You will need:

Your passport with any valid visa
A legalized certificate of no impediment from your local marriage office
Your birth certificate (Also legalized)

Photocopies of all the above

Muslim weddings are easier than any other religion and require a lot less paperwork post marriage. If your boyfriend in Muslim, you should convert to Islam (Not even close to as scary as many people think).

In answer to your question..

1 - Come over on a free 30 day tourist visa, decide where you want to live get married and apply for a KITAS

2 - Go to the nearest Indonesian embassy and apply for a 60 day Sosbud (Boyfriend as sponsor), then you have 2 months to decide where you want to live and sort out the wedding - Sosbuds can be extended twice without leaving the country so you get almost 6 months.

Once you're married to an Indonesian citizen a KITAS is all but guaranteed.
You will have to leave the country for the telex, but Malaysia or Singapore will do instead of returning to France.

A free VOA is not extendable but 30 days will be plenty of time to apply for a SosBud or KITAS

As mentioned above,.........
my understanding is it can be difficult for French nationals to marry none French Nationals overseas as it can cause complications in France (could be easier now)
So your best bet is to get through that side of things in France or contact the French embassy in Indonesia
Without confirmation about this your marriage may not be legal 
A French National I worked with several years ago took over 12 months to secure permission/ correct documents to marry an Indonesian citizen

One note that might be of use..

The OP doesn't appear to have been to Indonesia before so I would strongly recommend she find out more than a little about the place before she makes a massive life change.
She should also realise a husband sponsored KITAS requires her husband to cancel the document before she would be allowed to leave Indonesia unless she gets a MERP with it.

Thanks a lot Fred and Gwmeath for your answers , I Need to know fred what's a MERP ?

about That "So your best bet is to get through that side of things in France or contact the French embassy in Indonesia
Without confirmation about this your marriage may not be legal
A French National I worked with several years ago took over 12 months to secure permission/ correct documents to marry an Indonesian citizen"
Thanks I'll go to the French embassy when my wedding done, and ask them should i do to legally it.

A MERP is a multi entry/exit permit that allows you to leave and re-enter without messing around with new visas.

Thanks FREDO  :top: Helpfully

Fredo :D

;)

Bonjour Camelia,

I am French and I married in Indonesia last year...

Do not count too much on help from the French Embassy in Indonesia but you still will have to deal with them...

Before you go to Indonesia in order to marry, first go to your local City Hall (la mairie) and inform them about your plans to marry. You'll have some documents to fill in order to get a certificate of non impediment (certificat de capacité à marriage). This one is very important! And it can take some time so make sure you do it before you leave as the local city hall needs to officially publish your intention to marry (la mairie doit publier les bancs).

Once you obtain your certificate (la capacité à marriage), you can then go the French embassy in Jakarta in order to get the official certificate of non impediment...

I think it's better to get a VOA on arrival even though you need to pay 500k IDR to get it. Easier to convert or extend later... Fred might be more knowledgeable about that point ;-)

Once married apply for KITAS...

That's a summarized explanation. Feel free to message me if you need more info, perhaps in French but I didn't want to post in French here as it might disturb some members...

Congratulations anyway :-)

namecamellia wrote:

Hello or Good evening ex-pat, I flick through the visa information on several website but I still hesitate. My intention is to marry an Indonesian with whom I correspond for a long time.
Question
I am preparing for my departure in Indonesia in the coming months and I inquired for VISA, I planned to stay there if possible for a period of about 6 months with several possible ways. considering that the Indonesian immigration service was quite complex and strict, and to tell the truth I did not find direct information, I ask advice and help people who like me want to marry it with an Indonesian.
I planned to go to Indonesia and make a VOA Visa on Arrival - visa on arrival on arrival which lasts a month then to choose another extension of 30 days, then once there to buy me a social-cultural visa by asking my spouse to be the sponsor, If I understood everything correctly then I should leave the country one day and come back so that this visa becomes Affective?
Social-cultural visas allow for up to 6 months in a 2-month period? plus an extension each month with 4 possible extensions in all And if you leave the country in the meantime it cancels the Social Budaya visa.
I ask myself the question if I should not take the approach directly from the Indonesian Embassy in Paris to have a visa family reunification visa keluarga but I think that to have they must already be married no?
I am looking for reliable and serious interlocutors who are able to help me having experienced an identical situation.
I would like to know the most attractive solution means finance for my arrival (Do I come as a tourist for less than 30 days with ticket out for Singapore, or take the steps in France with the Embassy?) And the most legal, I would also like to know how on the spot do to marry me the necessary modalities (documents) in order to legalize this union with the services Indonesian and French.

Well I just got married in 2019 so I can give you fresh Information.

FIRSTLY,Regarding your marriage in Indonesia it will be hard for you if you come on visa free 30 days as it can cause trouble with making local police report and some other local documents.
SECONDLY, I would prefer you to come on your future spouse sponsorship and then getting married in Indonesia.
THIRDLY, Indonesia dont consider different religion marriage. You both need to be same religion.

In next post I will give you all the documentation process step by step

namecamellia wrote:

Question

If you want apply visa on behalf of yours gf/ bf sponsor documents, then need all these documents.

They can apply your visa as friend sponsor. But remember its very hard to process in Indonesian Director General Immigration office Jakarta
Required documents from Sponsor side :

1- KTP ( NIC )
2- Kartu Keluarga ( Family Card )
3- Letter from RT, RW and Kelurahan, that she is inviting there boyfriend/ Girlfriend to come Indonesia.

4- Your Sponsor should have sufficient financial position proof such as Bank account statement, that show bank balance /money/Saldu (Minimum) 23. Juta / Million Indonesian Rupiah or (Minimum) equal to US$.1500 in her bank account. At the time of she provides Bank Account Statement to Immigration office Jakarta, Indonesian.

5. A letter from there work place that she/ he is working in this office, mentioning her job designation, salary, designation, work./or If she is business woman/ man then they have to show there business documents or if she is business woman submit there business proof documents.

6. Scan copy NPWP( her Tax/Pajak card)

7. Her Birth Certificate ( Akta Lahir )

She will be called Interview meeting in DIREKTUR JENDERAL IMMIGRATION Office Jakarta. In interview a team of all these departments will get interview with her.

Officer of INDONESIAN DIREKTUR JENDERAL IMMIGRATION ( Dirjen Imigrasi)

Officer of Indonesian National Intelligence Agency ( BIN----Badan Intelijen Nasional )

Officer of Indonesian Police department ( Polisi Polda Metro Jaya )

Officer of Indonesian ministry of foreign affair ( Deplu---Departemen Luar Negeri)

Officer of Indonesian ministry of interior ( Depdagri---Departemen Dalam Negeri)

Officer of Indonesian Strategic Military Intelligence Agency (BAIS ---Badan Intelijen Strategis (from Militer)

Officer of Indonesian the National Anti-Drug Agency (BAN---Badan Anti Narkoba Nasional)

Officer of Indonesian Department of Human Rights ( Departemen Hak dan Asasi Manusia)

And other 5 staff from the Office of Director General Immigration.

If in all 3 interviews you will satisfied reply to this team with all correct answers next Immigration will grant visa for you (Pakistani boyfriend). Mostly these meeting will be held for 30-30 minute's period. In these 30 minutes all this team questioning to her and she only will answer to this team.

If Interview success SHE / HE will get Visa Telex for you.

namecamellia wrote:

Question

Required documents from French Visitor side:

FOR INDONESIAN EMBASSY ( IN FRANCE )

1. Original & Photo copy of Passport all used/stamped/previous visa pages.

2. Original & Photo copy of National Identity Card ( front and back page )

3. Present clear photograph (without cap or Eye glass) size 3 x 4

4. Letter of invitation/ Sponsor letter and guaranty letters from Sponsor

5. Copy of Airline Ticket ( Confirm Reservation required )

6. Last 6 Months Bank Account statement deposit money  (estimate USD.1500-2000 ( or in Pak Rupees Rs.250000-300000) Minimum in your bank account.

7. Reference letter from your employer/office addressing visa officer,  Maintaining your job, duration of service and detail of visit purpose, NOC for holiday's , and period of holidays.

8. Copy of National Tax number

9. Police Character Certificate from nearest Police station ( from Police  Department )

10. A affidavit

11.Medical Certificate (HIV/ Aids  test report) from any best hospital.

12. Visa Application form ( Visa application apply by online )

13. Indonesian Visa telex that issued from Director General Immigration Office Jakarta

14. Two Photographs

NOTE : Granting of visa is depend on physical verification and fulfillment of the required documents.

namecamellia wrote:

Question

Im sure this can help you. CHEERS!

osama297 wrote:

She will be called Interview meeting in DIREKTUR JENDERAL IMMIGRATION Office Jakarta. In interview a team of all these departments will get interview with her.

Officer of Indonesian National Intelligence Agency ( BIN----Badan Intelijen Nasional )

Officer of Indonesian ministry of foreign affair ( Deplu---Departemen Luar Negeri)

Officer of Indonesian ministry of interior ( Depdagri---Departemen Dalam Negeri)

Officer of Indonesian Strategic Military Intelligence Agency (BAIS ---Badan Intelijen Strategis (from Militer)

Officer of Indonesian the National Anti-Drug Agency (BAN---Badan Anti Narkoba Nasional)

Officer of Indonesian Department of Human Rights ( Departemen Hak dan Asasi Manusia)

If in all 3 interviews you will satisfied reply to this team with all correct answers next Immigration will grant visa for you (Pakistani boyfriend). Mostly these meeting will be held for 30-30 minute's period. In these 30 minutes all this team questioning to her and she only will answer to this team.

Many of the above won't apply to everyone, but might well apply to people of some nationalities, especially if the spouse is from a country known for terrorist funding/activity, or a place with very high levels of other crime.

Fred wrote:
osama297 wrote:

Many of the above won't apply to everyone, but might well apply to people of some nationalities, especially if the spouse is from a country known for terrorist funding/activity, or a place with very high levels of other crime.

Yes fred you are right but since citizens from europe start to get caught recently in alot of illegal activities in Indonesia thats why they still need to do this so all the procedure goes smoothly.

Well sorry but all these steps are not required...

It's actually possible to marry with a free tourist visa if you need to leave Indonesia shortly after and take care of the KITAS later. However, before taking care of the eKITAS, better enter with VOA that you pay at the airport.

I married last year but had to go back to France for work, so that's exactly what I did. Then I took care of my KITAS last August.

As France is concerned, it's important to take care of the wedding official announcement as I stated above since it takes a while to be processed and can only be done in your local city hall in France. Only after this, can you get the certificate of non impediment...

scotocs wrote:

It's actually possible to marry with a free tourist visa if you need to leave Indonesia shortly after and take care of the KITAS later. However, before taking care of the eKITAS, better enter with VOA that you pay at the airport.

I married last year but had to go back to France for work, so that's exactly what I did. Then I took care of my KITAS last August.

As France is concerned, it's important to take care of the wedding official announcement as I stated above since it takes a while to be processed and can only be done in your local city hall in France. Only after this, can you get the certificate of non impediment...

I have Married this year. They told me exact things like that so thats why im sharing as Immigration and 4 other departments took my wife interview as well as after coming back again with KITAS they visit our home for interview.

scotocs wrote:

Correct. A few expats trying to remain in Indonesia might have to jump through a lot more hoops than others, but the information is pretty much ill informed balderdash that might well be read by potential expats and make them reconsider.

Essentially, it's a load of old rubbish that should be ignored.

osama297 wrote:

[ll the procedure goes smoothly.

Subtlety escapes me - The info you give is a load of old rubbish.

Readers - Ignore it as such.

Fred wrote:
scotocs wrote:

Correct. A few expats trying to remain in Indonesia might have to jump through a lot more hoops than others, but the information is pretty much ill informed balderdash that might well be read by potential expats and make them reconsider.

I think you need to ask this rubbish from the immigration 😅😂

Fred wrote:
osama297 wrote:

Well! I think you should delete my comments as you dont want readers to read correct information. You can show your incomplete and your own made laws to readers. Thanks! 😂

Buhbyeee!
End of discussion! 😊

osama297 wrote:
Fred wrote:
scotocs wrote:

I think you need to ask this rubbish from the immigration 😅😂

Please do.
BIN and god knows who else - only if someone thinks you're a terrorist but I'd be seriously shocked if you got as far as a visa if they thought you were.

Basically, you're talking rubbish.

I'm trying to work out if you genuinely believe this or you're on a troll game.

Either way, the posts shoild be ignored in order to avoid issues cause by false information.

Fred wrote:

I'm trying to work out if you genuinely believe this or you're on a troll game.

Either way, the posts shoild be ignored in order to avoid issues cause by false information.

Mr Fred, Im not on a trolling game neither do I  have time for that. Im just telling what happend with me or others whom I know. It is not about just terrorist acts its also about smuggling drugs, human trafficking and illegal herbal products In which chinese, german etc are involved. That  is why Indonesian Law need to take place these things and make it a top priority. You're right God knows best. You can Ignore it while im just sharing the experience me and other people whom I know had to go through even after showing local and internation character certificate.

Fred wrote:
osama297 wrote:

Well I didn't dare to express it in these terms but I actually totally agree with you Fred...

The whole process is not as daunting and heavy as painted. I'd rather say it was pretty straightforward even though I didn't totally understand the need to have to get out of Indonesia and then back in order to get the resident visa. We went to Singapore for that purpose with my wife and it was still a rather nice experience even though we're not fond of that place.

BTW, one little detail that got me freaked out at first: even though you apply for a MREP Visa, you only get a 1 year single entry permit (at least that's what happened to me in SG, I don't know if that's always the case) from the embassy. It's only once you go back to immigration in your city in Indonesia that the KITAS online is converted to a multiple entry visa. You get a nice, big, 1 full passport page visa from the embassy in Singapore and after that a tiny little stamp for the actual KITAS online ;-)

No official printed document is given afterwards by the local immigration, you only get the document via email! Then you have to print that by yourself and insert it in your passport as a flying piece of paper...

But once again, the whole process is quite easy if you follow the procedures and quite fast. I am now very proud to be officially a resident of Indonesia and I am looking forward to my life here!

People from some countries will always have an easier ride than others, and that is a sensible way to go about things as anything else would either bog the system down in pointless procedure or make it far too easy for those with bad intent.
Immigration has the right to conduct home visits as they deem appropriate, but they choose their visits with care, not waste their time chasing wild geese. I did get one home visit but that was when I applied for a special document, not for run of the mill stuff.  I pretty much expected a visit when I applied for a KITAP, but it never happened so i suppose they were either happy to accept my marriage was real without checking, or perhaps they just got in touch with the local RT without my knowledge.

Immigration email the KITAS to you with two attachments, one is the full sized letter and the other is the reduced size one which you can either cut out and get laminated or reduce the size further to the size of a local driving license and hard laminate it and keep in your wallet. Immigration at airports never asked to see my KITAS as they can see it in the passport stamp but if they did then they were perfectly happy with the reduced laminated copy.

Shill88 wrote:

Immigration email the KITAS to you with two attachments, one is the full sized letter and the other is the reduced size one which you can either cut out and get laminated or reduce the size further to the size of a local driving license and hard laminate it and keep in your wallet.

Haha!!! Thanks for the info! We were so excited with my wife when I got the visa that we didn't even notice one was the reduced version! We printed both on a full A4 page and then reduced them!!! So dumb... Oh well... I guess I gonna correct that ASAP and indeed laminate the small one.

Shill88 wrote:

Immigration at airports never asked to see my KITAS as they can see it in the passport stamp but if they did then they were perfectly happy with the reduced laminated copy.

I didn't know that I actually didn't need to have it with my passport. There is that small note at the bottom: 2. This Limited Stay Permit (online) must be attach to the bearer's Passport at all times
So I dutifully inserted the docs in my passport... But I will try to do without next time and see. ;-)

To all. Make sure you keep electronic and hard copies of everything you have just in case you need them in the future, even when they're way out of date.
I also keep a copy of everything on my phone so I can bluetooth, email, or WA to anyone wherever I happen to be. I still have all my visas, police reports, and everything else  available to send at any time.
That self imposed rule has served me well over time so it's a good idea for you to follow it.

Fred wrote:

To all. Make sure you keep electronic and hard copies of everything you have just in case you need them in the future, even when they're way out of date.
I also keep a copy of everything on my phone so I can bluetooth, email, or WA to anyone wherever I happen to be. I still have all my visas, police reports, and everything else  available to send at any time.
That self imposed rule has served me well over time so it's a good idea for you to follow it.

I actually keep copies of everything on OneDrive and DropBox so that I can access them anytime and anywhere plus a local copy on several devices... Indeed that's a good habit to have as you never know when you might need to produce such or such...

I refuse to sign in to cloud services of any sort but I have copies on all my devices.

BTW, Camelia the initial poster seems to be gone... I would have been curious to know whether her endeavours were successful...

Not true.  You do not have to be of the same religion to legally marry.  It can be done. You just have to find a group willing to perform the marriage.

billjayman wrote:

Not true.  You do not have to be of the same religion to legally marry.  It can be done. You just have to find a group willing to perform the marriage.

100% Wrong - It's impossible to legally marry in Indonesia if you have differing religions, or no religion.
You can marry outside the country and your marriage will be deemed legal, but you can't LEGALLY marry here.

billjayman wrote:

To legally marry within Indonesia you must be the same religion, if marriage takes place outside of Indonesia all paperwork must be logged at your own embassy and documents obtained from the Indonesian Embassay (after the marriage) to bring back and register the marriage to formally legalise it within Indonesia (some countries don't require this) this must be completed within one year, not sure of the process if one year passes