Buying furniture in Malta?

Hi - we are buying an apartment to let out in Sliema, MALTA and need some advice on suitable vendors to use in buying furniture. It costs too much to container goods from Cape Town, or UK for that matter. We need contacts for -
1. Lounge suite - typical Coricraft styled - large corner unit in soft dark brown leather
2. Dining room set - pref glass table top with wooden base and 6 upholstered chairs
3. Kitchen appliances - pref Samsung or Bosch double-door fridge, oven and hob, washing machine, dishwasher
4. Bedroom suites
5. Carpets
6. Wall units
7. Audio Visual equipment

If you can recommend good quality suppliers that can deliver, please let us know.

Also - are there get-togethers for expats over there?
Thanks!

there are many good high quality furniture suppliers here - also remember if the apartment is on a floor higher than street level you will need to book a lifter and get the appropriate permit from the local council (2.33 euros) for the lifter to be sited on the roadside when lifting your new purchases to your apartment. If it involves restricting road width for passing traffic you will need a different permit to include a warden (15euros).

Can you give me some names of stores in order for me to check it out on line before I come to Malta please

Homemate Atrium store in mriehel

Krea at Qormi / Zeebug

Orienta at Ta Qali

ULF at Luqa

Fino living solutions at Mriehel

Casanova at Luqa

Ideacasa at Birkirkara

there si a really good search engine in malta for all types of stuff...try it findit.com.mt/index.aspx

We got a lot of our furniture from

Form in Valley Road , Birkirkara

and were and still are very happy with the pieces.

Buying to let out? Well, there are many appartments on the market to choose from. Many are also already furnished , even newly built ones .

Regards
Ricky

for audio/video equipment

try these

audiomalta - recommended
doneo
tiptop - recommended
digital planet - recommended
top choice - recommended
forestals

for IT stuff - scan and also klikk

fxb.com.mt/fxbgroup.html

these are very high end

Be careful with FXB!! If you buy something from them...DO NOT pay in full even if they give you a great discount for doing so. I bought a bedroom set from them in September 2007 and I didnt get it until January 2009. They gave me 100's of excuses and in the end (and after getting Consumer Afairs after them)I got a totally different bed set and was missing the mirror...which I NEVER received!!!! The thing that made me angry the most is I had to chase them for it...I never once got a phone call from them telling me what was going on. Im POSITIVE if I didnt pay in full...I would of gotten my bed on time and the one I ordered.

If you like IKEA products this may be of interest: http://ikea2malta.com/

I'm not recommending them as I have never used them, but I heard about them and it seems an interesting idea...if anyone here has used them, can you please comment?

Regards
Tim

I would be interested in hearing about experiences with that as well.

OHH...Thank Tim!!!...Im going to check them out!!! I loved Ikea in the US.

mgrima68 wrote:

OHH...Thank Tim!!!...Im going to check them out!!! I loved Ikea in the US.

You're welcome, Michelle. I too have spent many a happy (NOT!) afteroon and evening trying to decipher those IKEA flat pack installation instructions to put together some cabinet or other!

Tim

There's an IKEA in Catania now - just a ferr-ride away.

Tim

I would strongly recommend the following supplier. They always provide impeccable service, and have some very great quality products that are by no means expensive!
satariano.com

Best of luck!

Concerning the use of a lifter:  Please tell me more about this.  It is unfamiliar to me.  Where I have lived, furniture is carried up stairs or brought up in the indoor lift.  I plan to move to Malta and bring my things with me, so I would like to be prepared to do things the correct way.  Thanks very much.

AB Imports is a great company for delivering Ikea to your door. I've sent them my order and they buy it and deliver within a couple weeks.

the Lifter device is a simple mechanism mounted on a trailer to lift large items of furniture and household goods up to higher levels in apartment blocks as high as 6 stories   Its controlled at the bottom by  one man and another one or two are at the floor to which the goods are to be placed. usially powered by the flat owener by elec plug socket

If your apartmeent block is on a main road you may be required to have a permit for them to work - these are available from the Kunsil Lokali. They wil gove yu apermit for a small fee - and you willbe  given the required posters to place  a day or two before the lifting takes place/