Questions about Al Ain

Hello,

I shall be moving to Al Ain to teach this August and have a few queries on the matter.Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! :)

1. Cost of living. Is it cheaper to live in Al Ain then in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc, or is it pretty much the same everywhere in the country for items such as clothes, eating in restaurants, cigarettes, etc?

2. Alcohol in Al Ain. As I am Irish, alcohol is a big part of my culture :P I know there are hotels based in Al Ain, is there a good choice of venues for a 23 year old? Also does anyone know the cost of drink? Is there a dress code in hotels? Is smoking legal inside?

3. Travelling at the weekend. I understand that there are taxis going from Al Ain to other cities, is it safe for a female to travel on her own? Is it expensive? And where do people prefer going at the weekends; Abu Dhabi, Dubai, or else where?

4. Oman. I am interested in travelling and am wondering about Oman since it is quite near. Do people often travel there and if so, where to and what can you do there?

5. Finally, I am very western looking ; blonde hair, pale and blue eyes, is this common in Al Ain? Do westerners get stared at or judged?/

Thanks for taking the time to read this!:D

Hi Saoirse101!

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

My advice would be to browse the different articles of our participative guide. It could be of great help!
I hope also you will obtain advices from other members soon :)

Regards
Armand

Saoirse101 wrote:

Hello,

I shall be moving to Al Ain to teach this August and have a few queries on the matter.Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! :)

1. Cost of living. Is it cheaper to live in Al Ain then in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc, or is it pretty much the same everywhere in the country for items such as clothes, eating in restaurants, cigarettes, etc?
its almost the same everywhere
2. Alcohol in Al Ain. As I am Irish, alcohol is a big part of my culture :P I know there are hotels based in Al Ain, is there a good choice of venues for a 23 year old? Also does anyone know the cost of drink? Is there a dress code in hotels? Is smoking legal inside?
there are only a few hotels to go out ,may you got to go to dubai to find some good venues
3. Travelling at the weekend. I understand that there are taxis going from Al Ain to other cities, is it safe for a female to travel on her own? Is it expensive? And where do people prefer going at the weekends; Abu Dhabi, Dubai, or else where?

its perfectly safe to travel in a taxi right now 

4. Oman. I am interested in travelling and am wondering about Oman since it is quite near. Do people often travel there and if so, where to and what can you do there?
this city is qiute near to oman border

5. Finally, I am very western looking ; blonde hair, pale and blue eyes, is this common in Al Ain? Do westerners get stared at or judged?/
not at all

Hi there,

I am half Irish and half Egyptian. I work in the education sector in one of the reform projects with ADEC. I was born and brought up in London.

I would like to answer most of your questions.

please email me and I will send you an email containing details of how to get most things and dress code etc...

omar_connolly@yahoo.co.uk

Hey Saoirse,

Well thats a long message u got there, but ill try to help u out as much as i can ;)

1) actually regarding the housing expenses, i think now dubai is the cheapest and abu dhabi being the most expensive. in Al ain u can get a 1 bed room apartment for around 60k or 70k. I would advice you to go shopping in dubai and its not that expensive over there, prices are mostly like europe. Cigs are for 7 AED which i guess is cheap :D

2) as for the alcohol i think a pint wld cost 20 AED, not sure though coz im not a drinker :) smoking indoors nowdays is banned in a lot of places esp pubs and bars. you might find an irish bar in abu dhabi or dubai, but al ain im not really sure ull find one there.

3)Weekend is Dubai for sure!! if your driving from al ain to dubai it takes 45 mins, and dubai rocks! but abu dhabi tends to be a bit boring (im living in AD though! :( )

4) A lot of ppl from dubai take a safari trip to oman, its like u take a weekend over there, safari and a fishing/snorkling trip in oman. which is pretty cool!

5) being western in al ain is okay, as you will find a lot of western ppl over there. but just try to watch your dress code if you are going to a mall or sthg. In dubai its pretty normal and you might feel more comfortable over there.

i hope my info comes into handy!! well if you need anything else just msg me ;)

Cheers.

Saoirse101 wrote:

Hello,

Hey hosamban,

Thanks for your help there with my questions. I feel more prepared now knowing what to expect!
Cheers!

Thank you all for your help :D

IŽll go to Al-Ain in just a month and IŽm quite nervous so reading your questions and answers is very useful

Hope weŽll meet there! We are a lot of new young girls going so I think weŽll be able to organize somethins ;-)

Hugs,
Mari Mar

hi saoirse .. Accomodation in al ain is cheaper and quiet place to live compare to dubai or abu dhabi,  for partying dubai is best place, but you need to travel 150km to reach dubai from al ain, so i think you need a good friends circle in al ain to make ur weekends lively ..

Just came and text me ill let u know UAE thé wounderfull country u are welcome

Hello adams85,

Please note that this thread has been inactive since  August 2011, your chances of getting a reply are rather dim.

Also would invite you to read the code of conduct on the forum.

Thank you.