Accommodation in Switzerland: scams you should look out for

Hi,

Committing to renting or buying accommodation when you're new to or have not moved to Switzerland just yet is always a stressful endeavour. Would you like to help us in putting together a handbook of what to look out for when house hunting in Switzerland?

What are the most common scams in Switzerland?

What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?

Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in Switzerland?

What authorities should be sought should one come across an accommodation scam?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Thanks but I've lived in Switzerland 18 years. I know my way around 😉

Not scam, but what can happen is, that Airbnb Landlords suddenly change the availability of your beds and cancel the booking you made two or three weeks ago.

In most Swiss cities you will find a tenant association - there you can ask weather or not a landlord is genuine or not.
https://www.mieterverband.ch/mv.html
Knowing the local language - German, French, Italian - is of course an advantage.

Anyone who wants you to deposit money into Western Union, anyone one who can not be available for a face to face: 'I live out of the country and am managing the rental for my son.'
We've been looking for an apartment for our son and have come across all manner of dubious behaviour. It's not a matter of how long you've lived here. He has lived here for 27 years.