Best cities to own real estate

Hi people,

Which cities in a 6 hour range of São Paulo do you consider good to own real estate? In an area that is developing. I like something near the beach, but it isn't mandatory. In a city that has plenty of facilities for entertainment. I thought about Paraty near Rio, but there may be other areas in Minas Gerais.

Ideally it would be a house with a pool and a garden, near the beach. I'd be willing to spend about 1.5 million reais.

My girlfriend is from São Paulo. I find it okay there, but the inequality creates the need for a security guard at the entrance of apartment blocks. High monthly condominio costs bump up the price a lot.
And in such a city, it's also uncommon to own a decent piece of garden. I prefer something less crowded, and safer.

Feel free to tell me about your experiences with real estate as an expat

2 hours from São Paulo is a mountain recreational area with good restaurants, nice views, good recreational facilities, but very touristy. Campos do Jordão is filled with Swiss-like architectural homes with the year round pleasant temperature because of the more than 1,600 meters of altitude. That amount of money would buy you a gated community with the guard, swimming pool and a nice garden.

In Minas Gerais, the same pleasant weather is found in Monte Verde with predominantly German colonization. About the same altitude. There´s a local brewery like Campos do Jordão. I know Belgians love beer and I sampled a lot there when I was stationed in Europe.

The number one area where retired people are is Santos, SP. It´s a beach/port area. I would recommend Florianopolis for a beach area investment but it´s in Santa Catarina.

Any of the 3 areas above are good for real estate investment....

robal

I have investments in real estates in Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. There were a few terrible deals with one lawsuit that I filed that is still pending.
ALWAYS buy from a reputable imobiliaria (real estate agency) and make sure that there are no "hipotecas" (liens) on the property. Don´t buy private because most cannot be trusted. Make sure that you have direct access to the property from the street, all taxes also paid and always do everything in writing. Make sure it´s not Indian land or indigenous territory and if it´s a big piece of land to put your wife´s name on the sales contract because foreigners have limited areas for purchase.

On payment, wire directly the money to the seller´s bank account. You should instruct the imobiliaria to stipulate this provision that the sale is contingent upon the receipt of the payment.

robal

robal wrote:

I have investments in real estates in Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.

With the intention of renting them out for profit? Or for living in various places depending on the season. Renting out for profit is very risky business since many tenants cause damage to properties, or refuse to pay. I can imagine it's a pain in the ass to solve these problems in Brazil. It's already a nightmare in my own country.

There were a few terrible deals with one lawsuit that I filed that is still pending.
ALWAYS buy from a reputable imobiliaria (real estate agency) and make sure that there are no "hipotecas" (liens) on the property

I heard about this in some European countries too. My parents own real estate in the Canary Islands, which belong to Spain. They arrange their purchases with Belgian real estate agencies because Spanish ones have delays, or cause various problems.

In Brazil, which real estate companies would you recommend? I look for apartments on zapimoveis.com. It gives me a good impression of what is available and for what price. But I read that most of the properties are listed simply because the owner wants to know the value. If I do decide to purchase something, my wife would have to do all of the negotiating without mentioning me. I have spent enough time in Brazil to know that foreigners are assumed to be rich, and therefore they pay gringo tax on every purchase. The seller would never offer a good deal when he knows that a gringo is involved.

Don´t buy private because most cannot be trusted. Make sure that you have direct access to the property from the street, all taxes also paid and always do everything in writing. Make sure it´s not Indian land or indigenous territory and if it´s a big piece of land to put your wife´s name on the sales contract because foreigners have limited areas for purchase

I know a very wealthy Belgian lady who ran a multinational, with franchises in Argentina. She does not have the Argentinian nationality. When the crisis hit in the early 2000s, her land was confiscated and there was nothing she could do about it. They can't do this if you're a citizen. Because of that, and because the judiciary that simply does not function in Brazil, I would be extremely hesitant to invest in real estate at this point in time.

I'd consider it in the future, but only when I hold the Brazilian nationality, and otherwise I would have to buy in my wifes name

"With the intention of renting them out for profit? Or for living in various places depending on the season. Renting out for profit is very risky business since many tenants cause damage to properties, or refuse to pay. I can imagine it's a pain in the ass to solve these problems in Brazil. It's already a nightmare in my own country."

I have two more residences up north. I don´t rent them because like you said, they destroy and don´t repair. You cannot throw away an old man (60 and above) who can´t pay rent if he doesn´t have a place to live. And so with women with children. When they go to the public defender´s office and seek the state´s protection, you´re doomed. Better to not rent.

I have agricultural lands planted with timber. Very good income! Better than raising
cows. After cutting, just replant and that´s it. There are always people who plant them for me.

"In Brazil, which real estate companies would you recommend? I look for apartments on zapimoveis.com. It gives me a good impression of what is available and for what price. But I read that most of the properties are listed simply because the owner wants to know the value. If I do decide to purchase something, my wife would have to do all of the negotiating without mentioning me. I have spent enough time in Brazil to know that foreigners are assumed to be rich, and therefore they pay gringo tax on every purchase. The seller would never offer a good deal when he knows that a gringo is involved."

What I do when I research properties is just to Google the city´s real estate agencies and go from there. Yeah, ZAP would be routinely included and so with others...

"In Brazil, which real estate companies would you recommend? I look for apartments on zapimoveis.com. It gives me a good impression of what is available and for what price. But I read that most of the properties are listed simply because the owner wants to know the value. If I do decide to purchase something, my wife would have to do all of the negotiating without mentioning me. I have spent enough time in Brazil to know that foreigners are assumed to be rich, and therefore they pay gringo tax on every purchase. The seller would never offer a good deal when he knows that a gringo is involved."

Yes, there´s a Gringo price apart from the local people. But I can´t complain when I´m looking for a hard to find item. I raise the price intentionally and the item appears
all of a sudden despite their warning that it´s non-existent in the area!

"I know a very wealthy Belgian lady who ran a multinational, with franchises in Argentina. She does not have the Argentinian nationality. When the crisis hit in the early 2000s, her land was confiscated and there was nothing she could do about it. They can't do this if you're a citizen. Because of that, and because the judiciary that simply does not function in Brazil, I would be extremely hesitant to invest in real estate at this point in time."

I´ve been lucky so far. There are a few hiccups every now and then but otherwise everything´s fine.

robal wrote:

I have two more residences up north. I don´t rent them because like you said, they destroy and don´t repair. You cannot throw away an old man (60 and above) who can´t pay rent if he doesn´t have a place to live. And so with women with children. When they go to the public defender´s office and seek the state´s protection, you´re doomed. Better to not rent.

I don't see the point of owning multiple residences if you can't rent them out. In my homecountry the cost of an apartment is roughly 250 000 euros. Let's equate that to 1 million reais to make it easy.
Rent is 700 euros per month, or 8400 euros (about 35 000 reais) per year. So for a 1 million real investment, 35 000 reais/ year of rental income is a 3.5% return on investment. Which I think is decent. There are some costs though, like renovation and taxes. And I know horror stories about people who have bad tenants.

My parents rent out 2 apartments in Europe. Both with agencies, and the agencies have very clear guidelines about who to take as a tenant and who not to take. It is not politically correct, but absolutely necessary to avoid serious problems.

Also, it's a safe strategy to rent out holiday homes in exclusive destinations. Not apartments.
Because these holiday homes are rented out for a couple of weeks, or sometimes a month or 2, there is no risk of not getting paid. The audience of visitors only has rich people who can afford holidays in it.

My parents rent out in the Canary Islands. Which is in the EU and therefore it is well regulated.
If a tenant causes damage to the property, he will be forced to pay. 

I have agricultural lands planted with timber. Very good income! Better than raising
cows. After cutting, just replant and that´s it. There are always people who plant them for me.

My girlfriend told me she owns land in Brotas.
But the last time she saw it was 15 years ago. She thinks that it is inhabited now, and that therefore she lost the land. Imagine if a foreigner bought it..

I'm not very keen to invest in Brazil yet simply because of unreliable policies.

"I don't see the point of owning multiple residences if you can't rent them out. In my homecountry the cost of an apartment is roughly 250 000 euros. Let's equate that to 1 million reais to make it easy.
Rent is 700 euros per month, or 8400 euros (about 35 000 reais) per year. So for a 1 million real investment, 35 000 reais/ year of rental income is a 3.5% return on investment. Which I think is decent. There are some costs though, like renovation and taxes. And I know horror stories about people who have bad tenants."

I use them as my office when I visit during planting and cutting season. I have to sleep somewhere, especially if caretakers call me of problems. I built them especially for that purpose and renting them is a far possibility. The caretakers´ residences - I also can´t rent. They take care and guard the land while I´m away...robal

First all, full disclaimer.  I am a licensed Real Estate Broker and I do have some non exclusive listings on some of the aforementioned beach front communities.

Having said that

Waterfront properties cost more anywhere, whether it is in Rio or Sao Paulo,  not to mention you will need to be aware of illegal land parcells.  And then there is the Laudemio, an excise tax levied by the Navvy on their rights to certain coastal communities.   

Also, when you mention waterfront or near with a large yard and swimming pool, nothing decent will come along for R$ 1.500.000,00, fair to be said.  They will cost a
pretty penny. 

In short, some waterfront communities and their peculiarities?

Santos-  Santos waterfront is crowded with Residential mid and high rise apartment complexes.  Yes, you can get yourself a water front unit, problem is,
some of the older buildings did not get a deep enough of a foundation, and some ( about 65 of them ) are tilting sideways as more buildings were erected, thus
forcing the underlying soil table.  Most of these buildings were erected around the 50`s, 60`s and 70`s.   

If there is one advantage to Santos is the fact the city has a reasonable amount of infra-structure ( schools, hospitals, public transportation ), to make the city
livable. And there is actually some level of economic activity drawn from the Port of Santos, a major but declining shipping port. 

The Petrobras hoopla didn't materialze, so much that one brand new building to become a regional HQ is sitting iddle and empty on Valongo.  Petrobras occupies two other buildings in town
So long term prospect, it might become also an oil town.  Yet, most jobs related to the Pre Sal oil Patch are stationed in Rio.

A downside is also the fact you can't find a pristine beach to bathe in ( cases of beach shutdowns due to bacteria contamination are all too frequent ).  You can verify this as the city grid is cut in
Channels that run from the back elevations through the city and towards the water front. So your city sewage is pretty much discarted at open sea. 

Guaruja is an upscale version of Santos, minus the infra-structure and sans the level of economic activity. Forget buying anything reasonably priced on the waterfront.It is
all earmarked for Real Estate Developers. 

Bertioga. It used to be a unspoiled place, this going back in the early 80`s.  Most developments, whether sprawlings or high rises, mostly gated, are in Riviera de Sao Lourenco.
My personal taste aside, I avoid these developments like a plague. Personally I can`t stand moneyed noveau rich wannabes from Sao Paulo and their crass ways.  MY
favorite places are unspoiled places where local fishermen still inhabit ( called caicaras ).

Ubatuba and Caraguatatuba.  Those are relatively undeveloped if compared to Santos. They are getaway towns, so you can imagine on high season the population on these
places swell.  A holliday, year end vacations, mardi gras all contribute to the population swelling in these places. Also beware your nearest decent hospital could be
at least a couple hours away, so you would have to drive up to places like Sao Jose dos Campos.  The local clinics in these towns are ill equiped from staffing and
supporting systems.

Sao Sebastiao and Ilhabela. These are places that used to be unspoiled, back in the 60's, 70's used to attract a lot of Swiss, French, Belgian and some German vacationers.
Both locales had historic significance, as you can tell by looking at the downtown's cast iron canons pointed towards the Canal.  Lots of charm. You need to be ferried there
and there lies the problem, at least in high season.  If you drove into the city you could sit on the Ferry Queue Line for hours until you landed on the Ferry to take
you tou the Island.  Most locals simply leave the car behind and take the passenger ferry back and fort on high season.  Also, decent hospitals, forget about it. 
Yes, you can find a water front property there, but at R$ 1.500.000,00 no chance.  On the Canal side, beaches are narrow, which prevents crowding and vehicles on the beach
Another issue with these two locales is that, at least on the Canal's side, there is always the risk of an oil tanker spill out, and the tar accumulate on your pristine beach front
sands. 

Praia Grande.  Problem with Praia grande, and to some extent Bertioga is that vehicles can drive on the compacted beach. And it is a cheapened place, a favoring for weekenders
and like Santos, day trippers, who do not clean after the party on the beach. So it is a kind of place that might resemble those Florida Spring Break places of the 80`s and 90's.
Good grief.

I do not have recollections on Itanhaem, Mongagua, or Peruibe, but knowing they are often remarked by Paulistanos is enough of a reason for me  not to go there.

If I did not care about local infrastructure, my bet would go as far as Vale do Ribeira, around Iguape, but again, you will need to be careful in buying there
as inescrupulous Real Estate Brokers will sell you property that is not legally allowed to be sold. So you will need to do all the due dilligence with a seasoned buyer's broker.
I have not been there, but looking at Google Earth you can tell the land is apparently unspoiled. 

Crossing the State Line towards Rio de Janeiro

Forget owning property on Rio's Waterfront unless it is an apartment.   

Paraty.  This is an historical landmarked community, with lots of cobblestone streets and quaint rowhouses.  Paraty lives off the tourism, some light artisanal seafaring, and
largely from its craftsmen community that trade semi precious stones and craft jewelry. 
It is quaint, it is cute, not a whole lot of decent beacfront properties, and the main water canal that runs the sewage discharge sends it offshore. 

Angra dos Reis.  You will find it quaint, pricey, yet you will manage to get your waterfront property. Only caveat is that there is a Nuclear Power Plant on the Shoreline, whose
construction and upgrades have taking decades to materialize.   

What a smart person might do.  You can get away with owning a lot more for a lot less if you skirt waterfront communities and settle into places that are
close enough to resort towns to drive, and far enough you do not have to deal with High Season Blues.  Once the high season and hollidays are over, you can spend
a day, a week in such places paying a lot less for accomodations, food, your beer supply, and so on. That is what some retirees do.  Mardi Gras is over, they descend and rent
their cottages near the beach, and catch up the waning warm days of the summer without paying through the noise or dealing with rowdy vacationers.   

If you need to live in a estate, close to nature, and yet close to hospitals, shopping malls, there are a few suggestions on my knowledge ( and I have all but one listing in all these places )...

Rio Grande da Serra- Close to Sao Bernardo and Santos. Granted it is legal to build, and you can endure the humidity, you can snag a place quite cheaply.
Large Metro Perks and Ammenities with small town feel.  Same applies to Ribeirao Pires ( City is a Hidric Resort, like Palm Springs ), which is close to Santo Andre ( A Regional Health Care Hub and a former
manufacturing powerhouse ).

Anything outside of Sao Jose dos Campos, Taubate is also worth the attention. On the Rio side, Resendes, it was once a Military Bedroom Community.

Also, a factor you ought to consider about Santos, Guaruja, and other seaside resort  towns.  Buying a beachside property, whether it is an apartment or house, on these communities is something Paulistanos do when the economy does well, and
they feel prosperous.  Once the Economy hits the skids and everyone is short on cash, they realize they have expenses they no longer can maintain. I can't count
enough people who come to me asking to sell their listing or trade up to something in Sao Paulo. I flatly refuse.

If you need to watch the sea, then an affordable apartment in those towns might do.