Accommodation in Florianopolis

Hi everyone, how is everyone doing?

We will be arriving in Brazil with a plan to be residents and/or stay for good in Brazil but start in Florianopolis. Is anybody who might be there before and can recommend a rental house with a reasonable price? We have 2 toddlers, we prefer 3 bedrooms with a Kitchen.

Thanks,

Lens

On the budget end there are lots of "kitnet" (bedsits) advertised everywhere on boards throughout the city but I doubt you would want to live in one, they aren't big enough by 1st world standards, I wouldn't be happy living in one with kids and I'm not a snob, it's just too depressing living in a small space in hot weather with little kids.

I suggest you either look at zapp imoveis website (google it) and filter to Floripa or the area you want or you approach a real estate agent - I can recommend adrianoimoveis  - again you can google them, I don't think I'm allowed to post links here. In terms of the district to live in I would recommend Kobrasol if you want a more urban setting or campeche if you want a more beach type life.

I might also have recommended the site olx.com.br but I'm afraid there are so many scams that I would stick to zapp immoveis and reputable real estate agents.

If you need something really short term just try airbnb

04/11/23 If you need something really short term just try airbnb
-@pup8617

@LensSiano.  All good advice from pu8617.  I'm highlighting the last sentence of that post to stress that getting a comfortable AirB&B for about a month that has a full kitchen for cooking and is in a good, convenient neighborhood, will provide you with a pleasant, cost-effective base for your househunting.  Many if not most AirB&B hosts give a discount for a stay of a month or more. 

airbnb in central floripa is very expensive and the beaches are expensive in high season. Kobrasol and itacorubi and perhaps saco grande are the districts I would choose.

@pup8617 Thanks for your advice! Very helpful to start with. I will looking for them and hopefully will bump into one that we can stay for longer perhaps a year or 2. I'm planning to be a citizen of Brazil as i love the country.

Appreciate for your help! Blessyou

@pup8617 Amazing! We were wondering which area would be great to live with that is not crowded and safer for babies. Any idea with kinderschool for children? Would it be easy to find nearby school?

@abthree Yes there are options of AirBnb that is doable! Thanks. It is great to hear that other websites can provide cheaper and better options. Thanks so much!

@LensSiano I think you'll really need to spend some time in the city, it's very spread out, so you should consider it more like a collection of small towns with a down town type centre. Like I said, personally I really like Kobrasol because it's like a little small town with everything you would need, but it's not a beach place. If you have the money Jurere is like a little miami and there are other foreigners to be friends with. Panatanao do sul is fairly far away from the centre but feels wild, natural and free. One area that is up and coming is "passeio primavera florianopolis" where a garden centre has developed into a little chic collection of restaurants, bars, apartments etc and has an English language primary school, but it is located next to a highway : ) I think the school is called Escola Dinamica and you would get something like a European classroom environment for a small child. Finally, I really like Itacorubi - it's an area near to the Federal University and has a walkable city vibe.

On the budget end there are lots of "kitnet" (bedsits) advertised everywhere on boards throughout the city but I doubt you would want to live in one, they aren't big enough by 1st world standards, I wouldn't be happy living in one with kids and I'm not a snob, it's just too depressing living in a small space in hot weather with little kids.
I suggest you either look at zapp imoveis website (google it) and filter to Floripa or the area you want or you approach a real estate agent - I can recommend adrianoimoveis - again you can google them, I don't think I'm allowed to post links here. In terms of the district to live in I would recommend Kobrasol if you want a more urban setting or campeche if you want a more beach type life.

I might also have recommended the site olx.com.br but I'm afraid there are so many scams that I would stick to zapp immoveis and reputable real estate agents.

If you need something really short term just try airbnb
-@pup8617

Budget, rental.

The advertised stuff will never work on the percentages. So Portals won't give you the scoop of the land. Take that to the bank.

Google imobiliarias florianopolis and see what it comes up. Then read out websites for their listings.

In anywhere, a lot of affordable residential listings are pocket listings.  You will need to see a broker for that.

Brokers love cheap rent-it-fast listings for commission's sake, but whenever a landlord contract a broker, he/she aims to get the most rent they can get for their landlords.   Even when the listing is not exclusive. 

if you can't find a broker that speaks your language there, then get a chaperone who has some knowledge of rates. 

Americans, and by and large expats as whole, are prime targets for price gouging.   So pay your chaperone to help you through. 

Florianopolis is way  out of my backyard, I deal Sao Paulo and ABC, so i won't pitch in to help ( i am a broker myself ).

And there's another thing....   Most residential  lease contracts are 30 months with an escape clause at the 12th-13th month.   The only short rentals you will find are overpriced AirBnB or studio flats. 

Another way to go about , is to ditch the backyard and get a walkup ( above a store front ).  A lot of times it means inquiring upon the shop keeper for the rental upstairs.   You will save a lot of money that way.