Move to France Experience

Hello everyone,

I am planning to move back to France from the US in the future, and would like to get some information about your experiences for the move. I am planning to ship a 10 ft container for my 1-bedroom apartment but would like to know if there are some hidden costs that I am not aware of.

If you used a container for an international move, please share your experience.

Thanks!!!

I saw your post and I just wanted to say that you should think carefully of your move.  It is expensive to move your stuff.  But not only that it is a beautiful city.  But I've lived here almost 4 years and it is the hardest place to live!  The paperwork and wishy washy non consistent bureaucracy is insane .  You will live without things that you can't get in the States and it is very difficult to receive packages and international mail.  I'm not the only one who has experienced it.  So yes ! Ohhh the romantic streets and city are beautiful. After that wears off you are left with an archaic non welcoming culture and a lot of stress. Think over your decision carefully .   Good luck

Olive France wrote:

I saw your post and I just wanted to say that you should think carefully of your move.  It is expensive to move your stuff.  But not only that it is a beautiful city.  But I've lived here almost 4 years and it is the hardest place to live!  The paperwork and wishy washy non consistent bureaucracy is insane .  You will live without things that you can't get in the States and it is very difficult to receive packages and international mail.  I'm not the only one who has experienced it.  So yes ! Ohhh the romantic streets and city are beautiful. After that wears off you are left with an archaic non welcoming culture and a lot of stress. Think over your decision carefully .   Good luck

Not sure what City you speak of as the OP did not say where they were moving too. Also from my understanding, they are a French citizen as they will be moving back. I beg ti differ in receiving mail and packages, may be you are unlucky?

This comment is always brought up "You will live without things that you can't get in the States."

Well, France is a different country and a different culture so this can be expected.

After reading your damming review of the country one has to ask why you are living there?

I will be interested to hear some replies. My friend shipped a container of household furniture and items and the cost was around $10,000.
I found it enjoyable to start over, going to thrift shop, etc.

Hi, I returned to France in 2005 and used a large 40ft container which arrived by sea and was then trucked. At the time, you rented the container. It depends on the quality of your belongings. If you have family antiques that you are really attached to, sure, move them.... "regular" furniture, on the other hand, might be better sold before you move. There is a website in France calle Le Bon Coin where you can buy used items for cheap and make offers. It is also fun to start over. Last but not least, I don't know how long you have been away from France, but you might experience a cultural shock, I sure did!