Schools in Mauritius

I would like to know if there are any schools that cater for children with learning disabilities. I have a 9 year old daughter that learns slower and need small classes and individual attention. We are relocating to Mauritius in June 2019.

Dailina

There are quite a few schools and disability centers. However I can't recommend you a particular one without knowing the exact nature of the disability.

Here's a list of all the organisations and their specialties, addresses and contact numbers.

http://disability.govmu.org/portal/site … y/list.pdf

Hi Thanks for your reply. She does not have a disability. She is ADHD and just learns much slower than her age group. She is currently in a homeschooling Centre and do mainstream schooling. She just needs a school with small percentage of children in a class where there is a teacher that can give personal attention to each child.

She can't cope in a class with a lot of children.

Dailina

What interests me is the fee structure. There are 3 terms, but fees are quoted for 11 months? No per term? And the children don't spent 11 weeks in the school because of holidays. They spend 39 weeks.

So if the school is quoted at 10,000 Rupees a month, how much do you pay for 3 terms? 10,000 x 11? Sounds silly to ask but it seems an odd way to price fees.

Hi Dalina,

I have a child of 15 who has a condition which means she needs a similar environment to your daughter. At primary level, I think you will have more choice of schools with small class sizes. Try Lighthouse, Morning Star and I think there is a new school just opened in the North.  However, I have to say that our experience is not so positive. We only looked at certain schools with the small environment and a caring ethos, but only 1 of the 3 we considered had a space or accepted her.  We were happy with this school and were comfortable that they really care for the children and have some children who are slower learners. 

However, our actual experience is that they teach a certain way and seem unwilling to make adaptation of the "norm" to enable my daughter to thrive.  For example, we asked for her to have photocopied notes as she was struggling to write fast, but nothing was done although it was agreed.  She needs more time and explanation to master the work and while some individual teachers have been great, this is not routinely forthcoming.  As a result her anxiety issues are off the scale and unfortunately this has caused her behaviour at school to go downhill and she is currently at home while we try to find her an assistant - she is not allowed back till we do this and as a result is getting behind which will cause more stress!   She is very upset saying she is a "failure" and can't understand why she doesn't have the support she had in her previous school.  It is heartbreaking to see her like this and so unnecessary.  The frustrating thing is that she has been successful in mainstream school before with some adaptations for years before coming to Mauritius so I know it is possible.  I still believe strongly that they care and the staff are lovely people, but differentiation of the curriculum/teaching and the school environment to the needs of the child seems an alien concept and the offering is "standard" for everyone.

We will try to find an assistant to be in school with her, but if that doesn't work, it will be home schooling perhaps through an online school for her to complete her work at her own pace in an environment where she is comfortable. That is technically illegal, but if there isn't a school to meet her needs, then what am I supposed to do? 

I don't want to put you off coming to Mauritius and it sounds your daughter's needs are less than mine, but you may find the schools try to avoid taking a pupil who needs a little extra or if they accept, they may not be willing to make adjustment of the standard to your daughter's needs.  You need also to consider the cost of an assistant in addition to the school fees if this proves necessary.  I am sure primary will be easier and if having a small class is all your daughter needs to be happy and learn, it will be ok.  My daughter has issues with excess anxiety when she struggles and then poor behaviour.

Good luck and would love to meet you when you get here!

Hallo.

Thank you very much for your reply. I would like to meet you when I get to Mauritius. I gave my daughter home schooling myself from grade one to 2. Now she is in a homeschooling centre and doing very good.

Just hope I am not going to put her back in her school work otherwise I will have to go back to giving her homeschooling myself again.

Looking forward to meet you.

Dailina

Hello,

There are this type of school - as you are in the North, I believe there in Green Coast.

Good luck

Hi we are also moving back to Mauritius by the end of the year and our 5 year old son has non verbal autism. Also looking into school possibilities if any. Feel free to connect with me and we can share what we find

I think Greencoast is only taking very young children at the moment?  I am not sure if even the whole of primary is open and certainly not secondary.  Hopefully it will provide an option for some families.

Hi Dalia

Where you able to find anything for your daughter. I'm in a similar situation and moving to Mauritius in 2020 with my kids. My son is in a homeschool learning center and does well in small groups.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Promoting your own services is not allowed on the website. You should drop an advert in the classifieds. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Dailina, We are moving to Mauritius in December .Our oldest child has also being diagnosed with ADHD.Did you manage to find a school that is accommodating ? Maritia