Cheapest cities in Canada

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Canada. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Canada where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Canada by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Canada?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Canada?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hi I see you have lots of questions on moving to Canada ? Well let me start by telling you Canada is not cheap. No matter we're east cost or west. Let me explain I have traveled most of Canada and there is always costs a lot to travel , food ,shopping, cellphone bill ,taxes ,car insurance and I could go on and on people do think we have it easy as thé see you have free health care but it's not free we pay 60% of our check for all  this means if I make $100 them $60 goes to Canada. In other words you work as a slave for Canada. I am sorry if that's not what you want to here. You will find lots of people who tell you only nice things and not all truth.
If you want to live in a big city you will need $2000/ month and big city you can find a job
If you move to cheap place u will have a hard time finding work and may need to travel far to work.
I think Canadian are friendly and helpful and it's made up of all different cultures. You find good people and bad we have them all.
My advice would be don't look for cheap place but a place we're you will have your own culture people this way you will have help if you need and the will show you the way. If you speak French I would say Montreal is nice. I like Toronto also. It all depends on what you want to do here and your work field.
Thank you
Raj

It's hard to pin point that which city is cheaper,  it depends everyone's own circumstances.  I give you an example GTA is expensive when it come to rentals but if someone is living in London Ontario it's 4/500 dollars cheaper for 3 bedrooms.  In Mississauga it is 2700 dollars, in London you can live in 2000/2200 dollars.  Grocery is pretty much the same everywhere.  Watch my video, “LIVING EXPENSES FOR A NEW IMMIGRANT I BUY A HOUSE I IN CANADA I MISSISSAUGA I URDU I HINDI” on my YouTube channel “Canadian Road Trekker” good luck.

Hi Raj and Khalid, thank you for your feedback  :thanks:

Cities that have lower costs of living are usually on the east coast in provinces like New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. There are smaller cities in Ontario that are more affordable, as well. If you search for cheapest cities in Canada, you'll get a laundry list (from the top 10 to 50). "Cheap" is relative. I know you can live in other countries for much less than you can in Canada. There is a cost to a fairly high standard of living that Canada offers most people. The further out of major cities you are, the costs are more likely to be lower.

Finding work in the smaller cities can be challenging, as can transferring education and experience from other countries, especially in the medical fields. So, what may seem reasonable in cost, might be hard to maintain, as incomes are usually commensurate with expenses. (Vancouver excluded - incomes there have failed to keep up with the cost of living.) Finding skilled work in Canada (depending on the field) can be challenging. There is a glut of entry level positions: particularly in the service and tourism industry, which can be a place to start.

Finding work in the larger cities is a bit easier, but unless you have a very desirable skill set, you will need to be prepared to start in an entry level position. Of course, there are exceptions, but finding full-time works seems to be a lot more difficult, unless you really only want part-time work. (That was my personal experience.)

The things to take into consideration are: availability of work in your field of experience, housing costs (whether renting or buying), weather (this will affect monthly costs for things like heat), cultural and sports activities that appeal to you (to help you integrate into a wider community) and commuting costs.  That is a place to start, there are so many other things to consider when choosing a place to start anew.

I think this web site will be helpful to answer most of your questions
https://www.thefinancialword.com/11-che … ve-canada/