Residency - I want to be able to travel between U.S. and D.R.

I want to be able to travel between the U.S. and D.R. and stay as long as I want in either now, and when I retire within the next 5 years.  I have new family in D.R. and a place to stay.  1.  Do I need to establish residency in DR for extended periods? and 2.  What is the process to begin applying for residency from the Los Angeles area?  Your experiences and advice is greatly appreciated.

Having legal Dominican residency is beneficial for those who want to live most of the year in the DR and planning to move full-time in the future.

You may request info from the Dominican consulate in Glendale.

Thanks. Very helpful.

Welcome to the forums.  Yes, the legal answer is you should have residency. There is a whole thread on residency that is pinned on the in DR page honey.

Thanks.  I'm new to navigating here.  So, where do I find that forum?

The advice is sound. Residency makes sense if you plan a life in DR with your family and contacting your local DR consulate is a good first step.

If you are married to a Dominican and below retirement age that beomes a basis for residency. Being of retirement age with income or having investment potential also opens up the doors for residency applucation. There are other routes.

If you intend short visits here before you retire that is possible too. The law is restrictive on tourist visits with a 60 day maximum but to date it is not enforced and there are many who come here on a tourist visa and stay for months and pay an exit fee on departure.

See what the consulate says. The rules keep changing here. If you plan a life in DR find the secure route.

Kendusaw -  above on the top of the page you will see  Forums/Dominican Republic/ Visas.

Click on Dominicana Republic.  This will take you to the main forum page for this country.  In that page you will see first the pinned threads then the most recent threads.  There is a thread on residencia.  It needs to be updated and as soon as I find time I will do so. Most of the info is correct with the addition of you needing and FBI background check.

Don't always rely on the local consulates. More often than not they are wrong and not up to date. They are a great source for info on translators that are approved.