Being convincing to an employer in Thailand

Hello everyone,

Finding a job in Thailand is no easy feat. From applying for a job all the way to job interviews, the etiquette can be different abroad. Specially job interviews, that can already be pretty daunting, can feel even worse when set in a whole new country. If you've gone through a job interview in Thailand before, how about giving a few tips to someone who might be preparing for one?

Do interviews usually take place in a formal or casual setting in Thailand? Do you have any pointers for job interviews that take place over a lunch or dinner?

From application all the way to the job interview, what is essential to make an candidate stand out?

Culturally speaking, are there specific do's and don'ts? What is the general take on bringing a parent on the job interview or a gift to the interviewer?

Can you tell us a little about your experience? What worked and what did not work for you?

How important is it to have a solid professional network prior to a job interview?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Hello folks,

In general for an interview you have to be presentable, look "clean", and believe or not be a beautiful person is a big plus. Thai culture are pretty much concerned about their looks and they can be a little racist sometimes, I know cases where the person was declined because of his race (skin color).

Does not matter what you are applying for, long term employment (mostly contracts with 1 year renewable), the employer will ask at least a basic level of Thai language and with time you have to learn more, unless your are the expert one that they need at all costs.

English language will be required for most the applicants, their preference is for native speakers, unless you have a TOEFL or TOEIC.

Now this is my personal opinion: if you are looking for a job in Thailand and you know someone here, it can speed the process to get employed (just like many other countries), if you stand in the crowd like everyone else your chances will reduce and you will spend a lot of time searching and learning the ins and outs of Thai culture.

Another issue, last time I heard about the minimum salary to apply for the work permit is 60.000 THB which is a way less of what most employers are offering in Thai market.

My friend got a proposition to teach at a Thai school and the salary offered was 35.000 THB which is a way under what immigration set as a standard to get employed in Thailand. I'm sure schools always find a way around this restrictions, but does it worth for you?

Good luck folks.

I sat on both seats a couple of time. Being the headteacher of two schools who had to find a suitable teacher and as an applicant seeking employment as a teacher.

Very important is the CV of a job seeker, professional HRM throws the thingy in a bin, if there are too many typos, especially when somebody applies for the position as an English teacher.

It seems that too many people have got fake documents and after a few years looking at certain degrees, it's not that difficult to sort the real ones out from the fake ones.

If the applicant finally makes sit to an interview, formal clothes is a must. Foreigners should NEVER bring their Thai wives to an interview, that makes them look stupid! 

It's always good to have character references, as many employers want to know what the person did in the past. Job interviews are usually in a formal setting, even raising your voice could get you a no.

Speaking louder is considered impolite, even when a job seeker isn't okay with a few contract parts, he/she should never start to complain and come with arguments that would make the other side lose face.
I've had interviews with people who then turned out to be broken, a few wanted to borrow money from me and wanted to pay it back when they receive their first salary.

People who spent their money in Pattaya, then ran out of cash, trying to pull your arm.

Dress code for an interview for a man is formal, a long sleeve shirt, nice pants, and shoes, but also a very kind personality.

Never interrupt the interviewer, if there are certain points that you don't like, you'll have the chance to discuss these points at the end of the interview.
Sorry, it's my wife's birthday, haven't got time to write more, but will eventually post some more soon.

fapc wrote:

Hello folks,

In general for an interview you have to be presentable, look "clean", and believe or not be a beautiful person is a big plus. Thai culture are pretty much concerned about their looks and they can be a little racist sometimes, I know cases where the person was declined because of his race (skin color).

Does not matter what you are applying for, long term employment (mostly contracts with 1 year renewable), the employer will ask at least a basic level of Thai language and with time you have to learn more, unless your are the expert one that they need at all costs.

English language will be required for most the applicants, their preference is for native speakers, unless you have a TOEFL or TOEIC.

Now this is my personal opinion: if you are looking for a job in Thailand and you know someone here, it can speed the process to get employed (just like many other countries), if you stand in the crowd like everyone else your chances will reduce and you will spend a lot of time searching and learning the ins and outs of Thai culture.

Another issue, last time I heard about the minimum salary to apply for the work permit is 60.000 THB which is a way less of what most employers are offering in Thai market.

My friend got a proposition to teach at a Thai school and the salary offered was 35.000 THB which is a way under what immigration set as a standard to get employed in Thailand. I'm sure schools always find a way around this restrictions, but does it worth for you?

Good luck folks.

Where did you get this information from? You'll get a work permit, even when you're only making 9,000 baht/month. It's got nothing to do what the Immigration sets as a standard for foreigners.

Schools' salaries are excluded from that rule!

"English language will be required for most the applicants, their preference is for native speakers, unless you have a TOEFL or TOEIC."

Non-native English speakers have to do a TOEIC, which is part of the requirements to become a teacher in LOS. A TESOL or TEFL is for people to have an idea of how it will be inside a classroom.

But neither a TESOL nor a TEFL is absolutely wanted by an employer, they want to see a degree and transcripts, preferably in education.

"Does not matter what you are applying for, long term employment (mostly contracts with 1 year renewable), the employer will ask at least a basic level of Thai language and with time you have to learn more, unless your are the expert one that they need at all costs."

Another wrong information, I was never asked if I can speak Thai and I've been teaching for 14 years now. Please stop posting so many wrong information.

Schools' salaries are excluded from that rule! Kind regards.

Isaanfarang wrote:

.. Speaking louder is considered impolite, even when a job seeker isn't okay with a few contract parts, he/she should never start to complain and come with arguments that would make the other side lose face...

I have to laugh about that one. Thai people are always speaking louder even in interviews. lose face is nothing, what about humiliation, Asians have it by design right in their hearts.
I do not know where you living in Thailand, but for sure we are living different realities.

Isaanfarang wrote:

.. Where did you get this information from? You'll get a work permit, even when you're only making 9,000 baht/month. It's got nothing to do what the Immigration sets as a standard for foreigners.

My husband work with telecom and software and he had his WP declined, his employer was offering a salary of 40.000 THB in Samut Prakan area.

9.000 THB is for the workers in Thailand without a degree, Myanmar people, Laotians and Cambodians. You are absolutely wrong about that. Ministry of labour will never allow a foreign from Europe/Americas work for 9.000 THB /mo .. It's ridiculous.

You know the way law and rules are enforced in Thailand.

Thanks for your input it helps a lot to create more confusion.

fapc wrote:
Isaanfarang wrote:

.. Where did you get this information from? You'll get a work permit, even when you're only making 9,000 baht/month. It's got nothing to do what the Immigration sets as a standard for foreigners.

My husband work with telecom and software and he had his WP declined, his employer was offering a salary of 40.000 THB in Samut Prakan area.

9.000 THB is for the workers in Thailand without a degree, Myanmar people, Laotians and Cambodians. You are absolutely wrong about that. Ministry of labour will never allow a foreign from Europe/Americas work for 9.000 THB /mo .. It's ridiculous.

You know the way law and rules are enforced in Thailand.

Thanks for your input it helps a lot to create more confusion.

From my former post:

Schools' salaries are excluded from that rule! Kind regards.

You're the one who's causing confusion here! You'll easily get a work permit IF you're working as a teacher at a government or private school.

Perhaps it would be helpful to read my post again.

He/she only set out an example... There's a words says ' even if you get pay 9000 BHT/month"

Just trying to help :) 

Can see it's a missed understanding here.