Do people speak English where you are living in Romania?

Hi guys,

I'm asking for my boyfriend. He is an English speaker, and he lives in Romania. At the moment we live in a medium-sized city, and I was wondering if bigger cities such as Timisoara and Cluj are expats friendly when it comes to speaking English.

I currently live in Arad and I was surprised that most people in stores don't speak English at all. And even when they hear me speaking in English with my boyfriend, they address him in Romanian, which is quite annoying because he clearly doesn't speak the language. Sometimes the same store clerk did the same thing like 3 times in a matter of weeks, each time expecting him to speak Romanian.

So what are your experiences in bigger cities in Romania? Is it easy to communicate in English? What about making friends?

I am in a smaller city, as well. Many clerks do not speak much English, but it's ok because I get by with the few words I know and googleImages. I am more annoyed with myself because this is Romania and if anyone speaks English I consider it a favor to me. I have cultivated some social contacts and many of them use me to practice their English.

In Timisoara, Cluj and Bucharest is more likely to find English speakers than in small cities, but only in the very commercial areas.

We have lived in Brasov for almost two years now and we find that we ALWAYS find someone who is able to speak with us in English, if the person we are dealing with doesn't speak any English  they will go out of their way to find someone who is able to speak English with us (another clerk sometimes even other customers).
Maybe we have just been lucky but we haven't had any problems with the language barrier which I find wonderful since I am actually the foreigner :)
As far as making friends we have made some very close wonderful friends in the time we have lived here

We live near Campulung Muscel. None of our neighbours speak English & tend to gabble so fast in Romanian it's unintelligible. Asking them to say it slowly please produces no reduction in speed! I speak a little Romanian & they seem to understand what I say (mostly). At the local TB hospital not a soul spoke a word, which was a tad problematic as Robin was an in patient. It was no fun for him as he has very little Romanian. Our GP & dentist are English fluent but other English speakers are few & far between & usually teenagers or, as we were told, educated by the monks!

Out of respect for the country and its people, your boyfriend should start learning the official language and not expect everyone to speak English, considering the fact that he LIVES there. Some Romanians may also not speak English because of lack of confidence speaking the language.
Nonetheless, it is much easier to communicate in English in bigger cities and there shall be no problem making friends, Romanians are generally friendly and warm people. Do your research and look up local places, like cafés for example, where people gather to socialize. :)

Hello, I'm leaving in cluj since March 2016, many people speak English specially the young people, and plus here is a lot of foreigns and you can make a loft friends :)