Paying bills in Romania

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Romania?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Romania? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

In my rent all bills were included so I never paid any bill. But I know it's not very common. Most places you need to pay electric and gas bill and government tax. It comes every month.  And I don't know how to pay, you can find details from the owner or agent when you rent the apartment.

Most apartment have a monthly bill paid to the block admin (usually in a little room somewhere at the top or bottom of the block). It includes all communal bills (hall lighting, lift repairs, corridor heating, cleaning, rubbish, etc) and some individually calculated bills, typically heating, gas and water (although in some blocks, residents may pay those separately and directly to the provider).

All the other bills you might have (telecoms, internet, cable TV, electricity, etc) can be paid online via the provider's website, through online banking, in cash at the post office or any bank, or at one of the provider's agencies.

Council tax is yearly and can be paid online at the government's portal for taxes, fines, etc or at the post office in cash. You can also pay in two installments I believe.

Strictly for utilities I use “Pago Platestr” www.pagoplateste.ro

You introduce your online accounts in this (Romanian) app like UPC, Orange, Vodafone, Enel and the app shows in one overview all bills.

Like Uber/Taxify, you attach your debit/credit card in the app, and when you wish to pay one or all bills you hit the “pay button” and pay with Touch ID (for iPhone that is). No need to access internet banking anymore, no need to login to your supplier's website, Pago just collects it all in the app. Behind every due payment you can look up the invoice as well. In the near future they will activate push notifications (new bills, overdue bills)

Most importantly, it is free of charge, you dont pay any fees or comissions.

During our first few months, for rent, i hand it out to my land lady every end of the month.
For other utilities like internet, electricity, gas, there is a store near our flat with payment kiosk.
I just scan the receipt and insert the correct amount.
Lately, i am doing online payments.

We pay electricity & cable online. Insurances, we have to take the bill to the bank & pay there. Our water & rubbish are paid to a chap from the Primerie who knocks every few months. The Council Tax is always a mystery. First two years the accountant e.mailed the amount & I paid into the Primerie account. Did the same this year & two months later the new (non English speaking) Primerie accountant insisted the bill was unpaid. Had to produce the proof from the bank. How we'll pay this next year I don't know as the amount which you pay seems to be secret!

We pay our utilities bills online. Enel and water, the phone/TV bill is RDS, we just pop into the local shop and pay it there in cash.

It's just as easy to pay the electric at a pay machine though too, cash, there are loads of those all over Bucharest.

As for the council tax, ahem, we tend to just pay that when we really have too, we only owe 6 months worth now, because we had to make our nephews identity card, we will pay the rest when I make my own residency claim in the new year.