Clearing your belongings through customs in Bulgaria

Hello everyone,

During one's big move abroad, shipping personal belongings to the host country can be stressful. Customs regulations differ from one country to another and you never quite know what to expect when trying to recover your belongings once you're settled. How about helping expats considering moving to Bulgaria by answering some questions about custom regulations?

What are the procedures to get your belongings cleared by customs once you have arrived in Bulgaria? Who do you have to contact and how do you get in touch with them? How do you go about from there?

How long does this process usually take?

How do you then carry your belongings to your new home?

Are there any items that are restricted by customs in Bulgaria?

How much does it cost to get your belongings cleared by customs in Bulgaria? Does the cost change depending on the amount or on certain specific items?

Do you think it is better to seek the help of a contractor to get your belongings cleared in Bulgaria?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Customs and regulations... every country has one rule so long as you can prove you have owned the items you want to move to your new location ... for more than 5 years (for example in Bulgaria) may be more in some other countries you will need to check ... you can import without any customs charges... Having said that some items which are forbidden to bring so also check on antiques and other such items...

The main issue comes with understanding the law and the language barrier if you can over come that you are in a win win situation. While most movers (moving companies) have a very nice over priced package when it comes to moving.. if you can pack, pick and label your own boxes instead of some team coming to do your dirty work ... prices are over 70% below for moving.. and while most people have a lot of memories attached with their belonging which one cannot let go off hence pay the price of moving when similar items can be bought at a fraction of the price...

Moving from one place to other is simple take what is absolutely necessary and sell of give away the rest... People will remember you when you are gone for the items you gave to them...

Move on and carry own is the motto here...

Hi, 2 years ago wemoved to Bulgaria from Turkey. We employed an international moving Company, which additionally packed and listed all items. We did not take any household machinery like washing machine, TV and so on, because that would have had cost too much in customs. We took, however, a VCR/DVD Player and a HiFi System, no Problems there. The Company brought our goods throug customs on the turkish and the bulgarian side within 1 week., the entire shipping took approximately 2 weeks.
We bought a car in BG before we moved, and I drove it to Turkey to pick up our personal effects. Importing a car from Turkey would have cost a fortune on tax, customs and Homologation (tr is a non- EU state).
When we crossed the border with our personal stuff and our dog, one female customs officer was terrified by our Lezzie, and we had to undergo a more thorough check. But that was just looking at some goods, some Explanation and a Little paper work.
What should not be imported is, as said, household machinery, expensive TV and other electronics, weaponry.

We moved from the UK to Bulgaria seven years ago, and packed up everything ourselves, I mean EVERYTHING, TVs, washing machine, hifi equipment etc etc and used a Bulgarian company. No additional charges via customs and the company were very well priced.

We did the same! Packed up our whole home, bought a non HGV lorry for 1k and a large van and drove here! Great road trip and our cat was very good in her large dog crate and lead. No customs problems just a few blown tyres! But things are sooooooo cheap here I feel it's best to sell what you can and buy here. Great stores and all up to date. Things have caught up tremendously in the past 10 years. Just ask yourself if you really need those old items or would new be good for your new start? We have 65inch TV's , leather furniture and oak floors all bought cheaply here.  Just go for it !!! Good luck!!!

I recently had to clear and collect my shipment from Korea. I used a shipping agent, and when you yourself do not speak Bulgarian, and do not know the customs requirements, I would recommend that you do the same.
Her time for almost three days of answering my questions, presenting my papers and documents, interpreting and so on cost a bit, but not too much.
I hired a guy with a small truck and collected the pallet from the warehouse once we got the all clear.

You will need your bill of lading, your id documents, your address in Bulgaria and you will have to pay VAT and import duties, assessed by the customs. If you disagree with the assessment, you can appeal, so be careful about the specifications - I had more than 8 cartons of books and so got charged VAT on that....

What do you have to include on the inventory? everything like every  peice of cloathing or just non personal stuff like TVs and household things?

I listed things in categories - books, DVD's, clothes, bags - no-one asked me numbers of or each item. Also, list things as household items, not for resale or they want to charge a lot of customs duty on them.

Thanks also thought it ma be a little much to have to list like " 6 x socks" but how knows when you are dealing with gov stuff.

Has anyone from the UK experienced moving to Bulgaria since Brexit fully took effect? I'm wondering how much expense and hassle to expect taking some personal and household items over once it's possible to drive there again? Anyone here operate a van service and have up-to-date info?

It seems using couriers/removals/freight forwarders you will have to pay import taxes etc. That's why many of them have stopped. Between the paperwork and delays at ports while the confusion is sorted out it's not worth it.

I decided to do our own removals so I asked the question on this forum about moving my own belongings in my own van and this link was posted.

Scroll down to p26 and it clearly says you can bring your own accompanied baggage/personal effects/vehicle with no import tax. As long as nothing is less than 6 months old ie new. Restrictions still apply to things like alcohol and obv no ham and cheese sandwiches

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/s … 50-faq.pdf

Thanks so much, Helen! LOL, no definitely no ham sandwiches!

Hia it's Paul an Gillian were hoping to move when safe to do so is it worth taking washing machine and that an televisions what would you suggest hi have a of tools to take many thanks Paul Gillian

Is it right that you can take house hold stuff or is it cheap to buy there many thanks Paul an Gillian many thanks

We are moving to Bulgaria when we can.  Is there anyone who can tell us what we can take with us without being charged vat and customs charges. We were going to take everything from our house and move it over to Bulgaria with us. Thanks Paul and Gillian

This is complicated and unless done properly you might have to pay VAT on top of Import fees.

1.  Get a International Shipper.   Use Plamen at Orbit in Sofia.   He has handled 5 containers for us.

2.  Nothing New---only used or you will pay horrendous fees.

3.  The importer Logistics firm must arrange for the packing as every box is required to be labeled with contents and attestation that it is personal used household goods.

4.  Expect substantial delays in receipt--2 weeks estimate is code for maybe in two months.   

5.  Play no games with liquor, guns or new items.   You will be deported and your items confiscated.   

6.  Once in port, expect 4-10 days for random inspections and several boxes will be opened.   If only one item is not correctly listed on the invoice then the entire shipment will be searched and you will be required to pay for the costs of inspection.

Thanks for your reply. We have bought things last year as we expecting to move before covid. We have woodburning stoves pans, tools, canning machine and jars. They've not been used but packaged up waiting for a time when we can go. Do you know how things will go with them. Thanks Paul and Gillian

I don't know from direct personal experience, as we're in a similar situation. Hoped to move stuff over last year while things would have been easier under pre-Brexit rules, but Covid got in the way. And now it's all a bit more complicated!
Helen who posted further up the thread very helpfully linked to this: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/s … 50-faq.pdf
Page 28 deals with moving personal property. So what you need to show is that what your bringing in IS personal property for your own household use, and not stuff you intend to sell.
From that and what other people have said here and in other posts on this, new and unused stuff could be an issue. My intention when we take stuff over to minimise the chance of being whacked with import taxes and VAT is to make sure we have the receipts to show we bought them at least six months ago, and unbox and use it before we leave. Box it up again, and if it's over six months old, visibly been opened and used, it's not new anymore and is more obviously an item for our personal household use. That means it shouldn't be taxable. Also, anything in "personal luggage" isn't taxable.
You might run into issues with the woodstoves, as I imagine they'll be a bit harder to unbox, use, and rebox!

[Post deleted]

Absolutely!    Have professional assistance to avoid unnecessary fees from the customs officers.

One can be charged as much as 32% plus additional fees based on the evaluation of the customs officer

I have shipped household goods cars and imported items and I would never consider attempting to do this without the aid of experienced companies or individuals.    The cost is minimal compared to what the potential impact could be

Do you know how we get a Bulgarian ID card

Hi, look up Bulgarian Visa type "D"

[Post deleted]

Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to value your belongings when moving them to BG? I did see a list on the net awhile back but of course can't find it now. I know it needs to be secondhand values but don't want to over or under value. Thanks!

@HelenDinBG

The link is no longer available .

Im looking to move from the uk and have loaded my first van with essential ie cooker , washer , dishwasher tv beds and tools , all of which are used and more than a year old .

What should i expect in terms of fees charges .
How did everyones move go ? Post brexit .
@Priscilla

It all depends!    Are you moving permanetly or for a few months.   Are you a Bg Citizen returning?   However in any case it is best to contact a reputable shipper. 

I have shipped 5 containers through Orbit in Sofia.   Ask for Plamen.  As for inventory , each and every box must be inventoried by a shipper, not by the sender.  The manifest is checked and random boxes are removed to verify the contents vs. the manifest.   Don't play games in Bulgaria.   There was a crackdown at all ports recently because of lax supervision.   The new government means business and no more kickbacks. 
If they are persnal goods then there are exceptions.   Go to the Bg Web site to explore the rules.   They are clear for immigration. 
@HelenDinBG

The link is no longer available .

Im looking to move from the uk and have loaded my first van with essential ie cooker , washer , dishwasher tv beds and tools , all of which are used and more than a year old .

What should i expect in terms of fees charges .
- @Saeen786

None. I drove over second time a couple of weeks ago and no one even looked inside or asked what I was carrying. I said I was moving house when asked and no one questioned me any further.

@Jules999 hi which company did you use to move with please

@HelenDinBG our experience too, we drove here in a van in July 2022 with all our worldly possessions, no interest shown anywhere. We drove again in February 2023, in a V8 Ford Mustang (keeping it conspicuous. obviously) and again, no interest shown, except we had the explosives smear test done by the UK side of Chunnel Tunnel before crossing.

We did have a full inventory list and weight tally, just in case.