Looking for friends

My husband and I are in our 50's looking to meet some other expats for friendship and maybe doing activities together. Thanks ahead of time.

Are you living in Mexico already? If so whereabouts?

Yes,  in Cuernavaca

Helvig wrote:

Yes,  in Cuernavaca

Hi Helvig

I'm afraid that meeting other expats in Cuernavaca will require more work on your part. It does not seem to be one of the most expat popular spots. It was popular in 2017 but then there were problems. After all, it is close to CD de Mexico where some expats do live. Puebla and SMA would be much easier. You might have better luck with looking in that direction or in Morelos.

I'm basing my opinion on posts from the forum and travel, plus exposure to natives coming from Cuernavaca to work in the city I live in.  Deserved or not those workers have a reputation for bringing problems with them. Everyone is quick to make sure their home is secured when they arrive. My landlady a native lives there and she just says you just have to be very careful.

It's a lovely city, but it has had some hard times.

Good luck and be safe

Thanks so much for your message!

Hi Helvig.  We have a home in Tulum and plan to retire there.  If you ever come to our area, please say "Hello".  Our story of our exit from California for Mexico is here:  USAdios.com.  Good luck!

Thanks!

I don't know that much about Cuernavaca but we do live in two dissimilar cities in Mexico and have for years. At Lake Chapala in an area abutting the lake known locally as “Lakeside”, where we live about 1/2 of each year, there are many expats, mostly U.S. and Canadian natives and English is widely spoken. Expats at Lakeside tend to be outgoing and seeking to socialize with other expats. Making friends among expats there would be simple if that is your goal. We also live in somewhat remote San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, a town where most expats tend to be from Latin American countries so most speak Spanish and very few people speak English. In San Cristobal and Chiapas in general, at least some basic understanding of Spanish would be beneficial or one might find oneself socially isolated. Here in Chiapas, one might associate with indigenous folks who speak one of several Mayan languages as well, often, as some Spanish as is the case with one of us who socializes primarily within  various indigenous communities. Since I am not a particularly sociable person, I am able to cope in Chiapas quite well with my limited Spanish but if you tend to be more gregarious and only speak English, find another spot in Mexico.

Thanks