Looking for work in Germany?

Hello all,

So Im moving to Germany with my wife and son. My wife is German, Im not, and I speak limited German. I'm hoping to learn the language well enough to get a job. Im just wondering if anyone else is or was in the same situation, and what tips you can offer about finding work in Germany. My current job here in the US is as an electrician, so I have 5 years training but Im not sure if thats good in Germany. Anyway, any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hello ChrisP456,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

While hoping our members may share useful information in regard to your level of employability according to your five years of work experience, I would also like to request you to read this article, Obtain professional recognition in Germany.

Please do take into consideration other requirements to practice certain professions In Germany and verify whether your profession is listed as one of those being regulated. The links shared within the article may help you further to determine that.

Best of luck in your endeavour  :top:

Diksha
Expat.com Team

Having a German spouse you should be able to work. There are many foreign trades people in Germany so while speaking basic German is recommendable, you might be able to find work anyway. This will depend on the employer. Often there will be say a construction company that uses almost exclusively workers from a certain country like Poland, Greece etc. Usually this is because the owner or head manager is from said country. I am rather skeptical that one would find such employers that are mostly native English speakers but maybe ones that use people from a variety of countries and they all have English as their second language which is then used at the work place. But beyond getting a job, the more German you learn the happier you will be in the long run. Without passable German one tends to feel isolated and misses much of what is going on.

I am not an electrician so I don't know the rules about certification which will of course be important. You should research the subject in the internet and I would suggest you start with the German employment office known as the Bundesagentur für Arbeit or Arbeitsamt. They should be able to advise you about qualifications and certifications and possibly line you up with a job. I am posting a link to their English version page. Maybe you can familiarize yourself with the site and already find answers to most of your questions beforehand and then register with them once you are settled in Germany.

https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/en/welcome