Keeping fit in Colombia

Hello everyone,

Keeping fit during your time in Colombia is of utmost importance. How about sharing with us and your fellow expats how you keep healthy in your host country?

What are your daily health hacks in Colombia?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Colombia? Are you able to find organic products easily?

Are there national or local incentives to foster a healthy lifestyle: sensitisation campaigns, sports infrastructure etc. ?

How much of your monthly budget is dedicated to keeping fit?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Hello. Here is my health regimen in Colombia.
I try and walk an hour every day. Exercise pumps toxins out of the lymphatic system. Walking also charges the bodies internal batteries.
I dont live in pollution. I need city to live in for safety in Colombia so I chose Armenia. It has half the pollution of Medellin.
I eat the paleo low carb diet mostly.  I avoid restaurants because they cook with canola oil and that belongs in car engines, not the human body. Very poisonous. I cook at home with coconut or olive oil.
I dont eat processed food. No grains as per the paleo diet. That means NO wheat bread. I buy pan maize instead. Delicious. Corn is a grain but not so harmful as wheat.
My food includes meat, fish, greens, onions, mushrooms, beans, seeds, berries, tree nuts and fruit.
I take the spice tumeric every day. I sprinkle it on everything. Tumeric is a very powerful anti inflammatory. It helps to prevent many diseases like heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, alzheimers, dimentia, cancers and more.
I take daily supplements. Shilajit AKA fulvic acid to chelate heavy metals, eliminate radiation and glyphosate, and generally make my electricity operate at 100 percent efficiency. I brew kombucha tea for daily consumption by myself and my girlfriends family. Kombucha is a probiotic that supports human gut microbiome. Gut microbiome is responsible for 80 percent of my immune system so I take very very good care of it. I have not been sick in the last 8 years only minor sniffles.
I also supplement with multi vitamins, D3, PQQ, C, Alaska fish oil.
I have never felt better. I do not have a single malady to worry about so far touch wood. I feel positive, happy and grateful for my health. I work hard for it.
The objective of expats should be to stay healthy and live long in order to enjoy the maximum benefits of beautiful Colombia. First wealth is health.

Perfect topic & perfect timing. We are going to spend the month of March in Cartagena and would like to duplicate our fitness routine we follow back in Sonoma, CA. We are just finishing a month in Antigua, Guatemala where we were not able to follow our routine and we did not feel very healthy.

Besides eating healthy meals, getting good sleep and reducing stress - all requirements for a healthy life - we exercise about 4 days per week. Our two main sports activities are Pickleball and Spinning. We play Pickleball with a group of friends 2 to 4 mornings a week. We attend a Spin class 1 to 2 times a week. In total we try to do somewhat intense exercise 4 days per week.

In addition we have a dog and walk him at least twice a day. Usually one of them is in a vineyard a block from our house where he can run lose and we can take a long walk. When it is not raining, mainly April to Nov, I will also do road biking (instead of going to a spin class).

We would like to find 1) a Pickleball group and 2) a gym that has Spin classes. I assume there is a lot of opportunity to walk in Cartagena.

Thanks, Don & Marylou

Hi

Nice topic.
For me to stay healthy it's important to that I have control of my everyday routine and my meals. Atm I'm living in Santa Marta with my boyfriend's family who cooks for me. None of them do sports and are very relaxed people. I  go to the gym even though it's not my favourite sport. Then I try to walk a lot in the mornings because it's both more chilly in the weather and safer than in the evening when it gets dark fast

When I'm out I try to choose the healthy options of food. But at home I eat what is served which is typically very heave traditional Colombian food with very few greens in it :-D
I could cook everything for my self but it really would be super wierd and awkward to do that when everyone else eats the same.

I have experiences bloated stomach for many years though. Not only now. Am taking probiotics but it doesn't seem to help. Considering g the FODMAP diet to see if it helps.
Anyone got any advice?

Working out is the same as anywhere.

Except no bicycle tracks in the cities other than Bogota and Cyclovia on Sundays.

Bodytech gyms are everywhere.

Here in Bucaramanga there are good running clubs during the week  and hiking clubs on weekends.

Also, yoga cand dance studios. (I nshould go to Yoga more but I am too lazy in the morning 8 am-but I do everything else, running, hiking, gym-weight training climbing, dance classes)

You can get healthy food but you have to pay more than for the local greasy crap they serve you and look around a lot more

Quechimba wrote:

Except no bicycle tracks in the cities other than Bogota and Cyclovia on Sundays.

Cali, the third-largest city at about 2.4 million people, has some bike paths and is putting in more.  Often, however, when they are co-located with existing roads, a special bike lane being reserved for bicycles, you may have to share the bike lane with motos whose drivers see the bike lanes as a way to get ahead of the traffic...

Yep I have seen more bike lanes in Medellin lately that didnt exist before. In Laureles

climb the nevado del tolima twice a week will keepyou fit

I only have climbed it 3 times.

Hernán el guía en Finca Primavera has clímbed it over a 100.

One fit HP he is