Safety and Education for Children Moving To Gozo

Hi, my wife and I are months away from moving to Gozo. I've visited the island on multiple occasions and I am absolutely in love with it.... enough to make it our home for the next few years at least. My only concern isn't for me or for my wife but it's mainly for our children.

Like any other parents we have our concerns for our children. As I can see from other forums, education is at the top of the list for expats moving to anywhere mainly due to language barriers, however personally the thought of our children being able to experience and embrace other cultures and languages excites us even whilst knowing that our children will face many challenges.

We're not overly religious so our children don't currently attend religious schools here in the UK. Really really really don't want to offend anyone here but could someone who has had any experience with these school give me their honest opinion on what these school are like. My wife has been doing her research for some time now and recently she's come across multiple media articles about child sex abuse cases for both boys and girls at schools on the island and if I'm being honest it's now turned into a very big worry of ours....to the point of now we're questioning the move completely. We've experienced what it's like as an adult to be on the island and it's great...but before we pack up and leave the UK we really need to make sure that we are putting our children in a good environment.

Probably no worse here than anywhere else, including the UK!

This is news to me and I have been here for nearly six years.

If you're not religious I'd avoid the church schools, they come with all the usual hassles of church in your business and other parents who expect you to be as devoted to the cause as they are.  Also if its like in Malta the church schools have LONG waiting lists.

Abuse aside - the Roman church everywhere covers this up so no-one knows the scale - I'd avoid them on a personal level since I don't care for that level of involvement in my life by religious types.

Thank you so much for this! Really appreciated

My friend lives in Malta and as she said schooling system is really good. And Malta has one of the lowest crime rate in Europe. But if you have concerns about religious schools then just look for a normal mix one.

An interesting story 75% of child abuse cases reported to the authorities are bogus.

Hi.

I have read your question as I am in a similar situation, I would like to relocate to Malta in October this year and I have a 4 year old dautgher. Did you and your family make the move? Did you find find a good school for expats? Sorry for the personal questions

Sariales wrote:

Hi.

I have read your question as I am in a similar situation, I would like to relocate to Malta in October this year and I have a 4 year old dautgher. Did you and your family make the move? Did you find find a good school for expats? Sorry for the personal questions

The person you refer to has not participated on here since the post referred to so you may not receive an answer.