Travel document for a baby born in Malta

Hi, after being away from the forum for quite a while due to professional reasons, I am back now with a question and I wonder if any of you could give me some directions.

Me and my partner are both Portuguese and we have a baby girl who was born here in Malta and will be 6 months old in May. Due to the law in Malta, she's not entitled to a Maltese citizenship due to the fact that both parents are non Maltese. She was only entitled to a birth certificate and in order to get her eID card, I was told she would need to get a Portuguese passport first.

Now, we're planing to travel to Portugal next month to get her the Portuguese passport. Previously I was told that in order for her to be able to travel abroad, she would to get a travel document so she could leave the country. My question is, does anyone been on the same situation and who might know if this type of document it's easy to get? And also, any idea of how long that might take to be ready?

We're supposed to fly in 3 weeks time and I wonder if we'll have enough time to get this paperwork sorted. Any advice or tip would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Antonio

https://portugal.visahq.com/embassy/malta/ perhaps you may want to ask the embassy

Thanks Rob, I was told that the Portuguese embassy doesn't operate in Malta anymore since few years ago. Nevertheless, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Well I don't know about that but try ringing and finding out

Portugal's consulate in Valletta is the only Portuguese representation in Malta.

Portuguese Consulate
36A Archbishop Street
Valletta VLT 08
Malta
TELEPHONE(+356) 212 47 109

That closed down redmik , a few years back its in the times of Malta which is why I think that they are renting space in Whitehall

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ion.440223

According to this article anyway... Unless I'm confused but whatever if he rings up
The consulate on one of the numbers I'm sure he'll get the answers he needs

My information is from a page annotated:     The EmbassyPage for Malta was last updated 11 April 2015.

Without wishing to patronise:
A consulate is a small official office of a country in another and usually do not do all of the jobs of an embassy.
Consulates usually deal with questions about passports for their own citizens, visas for foreigners wanting to visit the consulate's home country and licences for import and export.

Hi Redmik,

You might be right, what I was told was that the Portuguese Embassy no longer exists in Malta coz the Portuguese government close all the embassies on the small countries like Malta few years. Previously, they were indeed based in Ta Xbiex.
I wasn't aware about the Portuguese consulate but it's true they don't deal with the same kind of issues as the embassy but I will try to contact them this morning. Thanks for the information.

Well, just tried to call all the numbers you guys provided above, but the no joy!

It looks like that there's no Portuguese diplomatic representation in Malta as this was the info I found on the Portuguese communities website: "There is no permanent Portuguese diplomatic representation. The issues related to this country are accompanied by the Embassy of Portugal in Rome. It offers Honorary Consulate."

I reckon that the alternative is by going to the ID office in Valletta and see what they say...

My apologies, it just shows how much misinformation is out there.

http://awesomeshit.ninja/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/abraham-lincoln-quote-internet-hoax-fake.jpg

Well at least we know for next time , thanks for letting me know

Just a quick feedback to let you guys know that I got it sorted :)

Basically, I had to print a form from the internet called "Application for a European Union Malta Passport", take it to the Portuguese Honorary Consulate in Tower Street, Birkirkara to get it signed by the Portuguese consul. As soon as the doc it's signed, I will then have to go to Evans Building in Valletta to the passports department and collect the doc I will need to have for my daughter be able to travel.

Fortunately, I found a very helpful person ate the passport office who told me exactly what I needed to do, otherwise, when I called to the Portuguese consulate, the guy was telling me that I would to call the Portuguese embassy in Rome, to get this doc. Only when I went there in person, he then remembered to call someone else who have him the exactly same information that the guy from the passport office has given to me previously. Unfortunately, that's what you get when you have people that give you information based on what they think it's correct and don't even bother to ask before making a statement.

Nevertheless, thanks to you guys Rob and remik for your comments and advice ;)