Work on Getting a Resident Visa.

Hello all;

I am retiring (US citizen) in 2019 and have Edinburgh at the top of my list to live in for a few years having been to the city 4 times in the last 4 years.

I know I can stay in the UK for 6 months without a visa so my thought process is to get a flat (I have friend who lives in Scotland working with me on that) and see if living there full time is doable.

I won't need to get a job or get any social assistance as I am financial independent.

I figure it is easier to work with the Home Office on getting s resident visa if I am actually living in country.  Does anybody know if there is an immigration office in Edinburgh or do I still have to do everything online?

I prefer the personal touch, I find it eliminates a whole lot of headaches.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Bob Sandusky wrote:

Hello all;

I am retiring (US citizen) in 2019 and have Edinburgh at the top of my list to live in for a few years having been to the city 4 times in the last 4 years.

I know I can stay in the UK for 6 months without a visa so my thought process is to get a flat (I have friend who lives in Scotland working with me on that) and see if living there full time is doable.

I won't need to get a job or get any social assistance as I am financial independent.

I figure it is easier to work with the Home Office on getting s resident visa if I am actually living in country. Does anybody know if there is an immigration office in Edinburgh or do I still have to do everything online?

I prefer the personal touch, I find it eliminates a whole lot of headaches.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Just wonder what requirements should be met before one can apply for a "resident visa".

Hi all and welcome to the Forum.

For some reason (and like it is the other way), it is incredibly hard to enter the UK from the USA.  Unfortunately, the UK no longer offers a retirement-style of visa, so you cannot retire to live in the UK.

The only way in would be to enter via a work visa, then apply for permanent residence, but these take 5 years to complete, so probably not much use to a retiree.

One other thing to consider - any chance you may have UK ancestry; this link will take you to the relevant UK Gov website that has the details.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team